PDA

View Full Version : Stat dependency

kingheff1
2017-08-11, 03:57 AM
Just a quick thought, if for example you rolled or were given say stats of 18, 18, 16, 16, 14, 14, which would be the build or class would be the most suited to exploit those stats?
I'm thinking that single class wise, monks and eldritch knights would be aided greatly.
Multi class possibilities are almost endless of course!

Koren
2017-08-11, 04:12 AM
Any build would love these stats really, just because saving throws are a thing and you never know what you might need. Builds typically thought to be MAD or builds that rely on a lot of feats would probably make the most of them, if a race you choose put the +2 in one of the 18s you could probably ignore the other 18 and be happy which allows you to build up a tertiary stat.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-08-11, 06:47 AM
Literally anything.

mephnick
2017-08-11, 06:49 AM
It would open up a lot of multiclass options that basically wouldn't work before, especially for Rangers and Monks that need 13's in 2 stats just to be available as an MC option.

kingheff1
2017-08-11, 07:01 AM
Of course great stats help any character, but sometimes a character only needs one or two stats to be very effective, a wizard for example, anything apart from int is almost icing on the cake.
I was thinking about things like a warlock/eldritch knight combo which would be pretty tough to pull off with point buy but could be a great fun character using these stats.
I suppose I was just thinking this could be a fun way to discuss esoteric or unusual builds that could be opened up with above average stats.

smcmike
2017-08-11, 07:19 AM
If I rolled these stats, and was playing in a party with other people who rolled lower stats, I would use them to build something suboptimal but fun, in the hopes of limiting the extent to which I outshine the party.

Single class ideas:

Valor Bard, with a 18 in strength and Charisma, 16 in constitution and dexterity. Grappling can be your schtick, and when that doesn't work you can do a little bit of everything, without outshining more narrowly focused characters.

Mountain Dwarf Abjurer: the tank wizard. Battleaxe and medium armor with full wizard casting progression.

Bladelock: with these stats, you can make the bladelock a credible front liner.

Ok, I'm seeing a theme here: casters in melee.

Aett_Thorn
2017-08-11, 07:54 AM
In addition to the Gish concept, which I do agree these stats would make very viable, stats like these would also open up some decent multiclass options that you might not otherwise be able to do well.

Even weird combos like a Ranger/Wizard or Paladin/Wizard would be viable with stats like these. Or go Monk/Bard and have some fun!

Koren
2017-08-11, 08:02 AM
Maybe just go crazy with an Everything character. A little Druid, a little Wizard, a little Warlock etc

Finieous
2017-08-11, 08:26 AM
Maybe a switch-hitter variant human Battlemaster.

Str 18+1+1=20 (Blade Mastery)
Dex 18
Con 16
Int 14
Wis 16+1 = 17
Cha 14

Archery fighting style. So I'm +8 with sword and +8 with bow to start.
Sharpshooter and Great Weapon Master at 4 and 6.
Resilient (Wis 18) at 8.
Maybe finish out with 9 levels of war cleric or something after Ftr 11 if the game goes that long.