PDA

View Full Version : Flash Gordon

Wolf53226
2007-08-09, 09:15 PM
"FLASH! AHHHHHHHH, He's one in a million"

Ok, with that out of my system, who is looking forward to the new show on the SciFi Channel tomorrow?

bosssmiley
2007-08-10, 11:57 AM
Will fail for lack of Queen soundtrack! :smallbiggrin:

Also for lack of Buster Crabbe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Gordon_%28serial%29) or the brazen-lunged Brian Blessed as the mighty Prince Vultan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Vultan). :smallcool:

Any Flash Gordan movie without Topol, Max von Sydow, Brian Blessed, at least one James Bond, and Richard o'Brian in it is doomed to failure. Doomsded I say!

"Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body!"

Were-Sandwich
2007-08-10, 01:00 PM
Wait, you yanks get a Flash TV series? No fair. But it will suck wthout the Queen soundtrack.

Rob Knotts
2007-08-11, 01:55 AM
Don't worry Sandwich, you're not missing a thing. It sucks, it sucks BIG TIME!

Quick review:Alien robot kills bowling ball, walking, talking, more walking, more talking, alien robot killed by being plugged into a blender, exposition, stargate, ALIEN PLANET! Waking on alien planet, talking on alien planet, subtle political jokes at Ming's expense, torture, concubines, running on alien planet, talking on alien planet, more walking on alien planet, stargate, talking on Earth, walking on Earth... This stuff makes the original Battlestar Galactica, the late 70's Buck Rogers, even the 1980 movie (Queen soundtrack and all), look like high art.

Flash Gordon is supposed to be ACTION! SUSPENSE! GARISH STEREOTYPES! The Sci-Fi series is like a low-budget version of Smallville, only without the interesting actors, innovation, character insight, or cameos and injokes aimed at fans.

Man, I'll never complain about Farscape or Stargate being "too talky" again:smalleek:

TheThan
2007-08-11, 01:29 PM
I'm holding out hope it makes it. The Sci-Fi needs some new blood to keep us watching and entertained (and therefor make money off of us).

edit
And not having a queen soundtrack does indeed suck :smallfrown:

DraPrime
2007-08-11, 09:34 PM
Flash Gordon is really dull and cliche. I severely regret wasting an hour and a half of my life watching the pilot episode.

Indon
2007-08-13, 08:01 AM
Personally, I was rather amused by it, and am willing to watch the next couple episodes to see where it goes.

My biggest complaint was that it wasn't nearly as wackily stupid as the 80's movie, but this works too I guess.

smellie_hippie
2007-08-13, 08:11 AM
My Loyalty to Queen and Richard O'Brian prohibits me from watching this.
*finishes listening to "I'm Going Slightly Mad"*

*starts watching "Spice World"* Hey... it's another film with Richard... :smallmad:

Fingolfin
2007-08-13, 11:30 AM
Ah, I was just a youngling when I first saw Flash Gordon. Although for today's standards the old movie seems rather worn off I wouldn't mind seeing his adventures yet again. :smallwink:

Pwenet
2007-08-13, 12:15 PM
Flash Gordon is supposed to be ACTION! SUSPENSE! GARISH STEREOTYPES! The Sci-Fi series is like a low-budget version of Smallville, only without the interesting actors, innovation, character insight, or cameos and injokes aimed at fans.

Man, I'll never complain about Farscape or Stargate being "too talky" again:smalleek:

THANK YOU!

I just got around to watching it, and was thinking "Where have I watched this before, oh yeah, its a cheap Smallville."

Yeah - Unless I hear better I'm dropping this sadly.

2007-08-13, 12:23 PM
Best Flash cover ever. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3goWGmlg4A)

Wolf53226
2007-08-13, 12:24 PM
I'm going to give it a little while before I completely write this series off, it does seem like they are going way more serious on this then Flash Gordon really should be, but that isn't all bad. :smallconfused:

It is a shame they don't play the music....but then they did in the spoilers for the next week, so I'm confused. I don't think it was the Queen version, but at least it pays homage to one of the best bands of all time. :smallcool:

Did like how they didn't make him uber smart, which I feared about halfway through the episode, right up until he hit the metal guy in the head with his bare fist. At that point, it felt like the movie, I could see the Flash Gordon I grew up with hitting metal men with no though of what that would do to his fist. :smallbiggrin:

WampaX
2007-08-13, 04:24 PM
I'm going to give it a little while before I completely write this series off, it does seem like they are going way more serious on this then Flash Gordon really should be, but that isn't all bad. :smallconfused:

It is a shame they don't play the music....but then they did in the spoilers for the next week, so I'm confused. I don't think it was the Queen version, but at least it pays homage to one of the best bands of all time. :smallcool:

I would wager that the Queen Cover will be the theme song for the opening credits, which were absent from the pilot . . . as was a budget, apparently. If you can't do CGI, go practical . . . grumble.
:smallannoyed:

Scorpina
2007-08-13, 04:27 PM
Flash Gordon was only ever interesting on Defenders of the Earth...