PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Pyromancer

Westhart
2017-08-11, 10:13 AM
Meant for sorcerers, although any spell caster with the fire spells can take levels... Charisma is primary score though.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jS-5oIMh1vmJTRO4ThriXpH3KbcnqXhsFU0TKwUb8kk/edit?usp=sharing

As always, PEACH.
EDIT: The Entry requirements were fixed.

rferries
2017-08-11, 12:28 PM
The prerequisites should be tightened up - early entry is way too easy (especially considering it's MUCH better to take this class rather than straight sorcerer, ESPECIALLY considering the True Fire ability, which I think should ignore resistances but not immunities). Otherwise, has many nifty abilities!

Westhart
2017-08-11, 12:46 PM
added spellcraft 8 ranks, and overcoming immunities at 15th ECL seems alright to me as fire/cold immunity is rather common.

SodaDarwin
2017-08-11, 02:03 PM
I like it a lot, blasty (fire) mages are something I enjoy. There's a lot of things I feel weird about though.

What's the gain rate on the pool? Is it once per attack ignored, or by the damage you would have taken? What's the limit? If there isn't one, you could just nap in the camp fire and start the day ready to do thousands or millions of damage to something(s).

The fact that the class seemingly wants you in a melee (or close to it) doesn't really fit having a d4 hit die. You have abilities that rely on taking (and then resisting) fire damage, and the best way to do that would be catching yourself in your own attacks (or hold a torch to your face).

You need to put the fire immunity in the text.

Flame Step is a huge movespeed boost, you'll have +100 movespeed by the tenth level. Just feels weird for a non-monk to easily get that without actually casting or gearing for it.

Flame Burst can easily cover a massive area. 100+ feet, easily far larger. Potentially over a mile. Ever wanted to be a living nuke? Now we just need Radiation Damage.

Flame Shield damaging weapons also feels weird, considering how it's a passive ability.

Flaming Renewal seems redundant considering you already have Healing Flames. Can also easily reach 30+ regeneration passively.

I'd suggest toning some things back, adjust numbers and stuff, and MAYBE up the hit die slightly. While it's a one-trick-pony, some numbers feel exceptionally high for what they should be. Still, I'd love to try it.

Westhart
2017-08-11, 02:12 PM
I like it a lot, blasty (fire) mages are something I enjoy. There's a lot of things I feel weird about though.

What's the gain rate on the pool? Is it once per attack ignored, or by the damage you would have taken? What's the limit? If there isn't one, you could just nap in the camp fire and start the day ready to do thousands or millions of damage to something(s).

The fact that the class seemingly wants you in a melee (or close to it) doesn't really fit having a d4 hit die. You have abilities that rely on taking (and then resisting) fire damage, and the best way to do that would be catching yourself in your own attacks (or hold a torch to your face).

Flame Step is a huge movespeed boost, you'll have +100 movespeed by the tenth level. Just feels weird for a non-monk to easily get that without actually casting or gearing for it.

Flame Burst can easily cover a massive area. 100+ feet, easily far larger. Potentially over a mile. Ever wanted to be a living nuke? Now we just need Radiation Damage.

Flame Shield damaging weapons also feels weird, considering how it's a passive ability.

Flaming Renewal seems redundant considering you already have Healing Flames. Can also easily reach 30+ regeneration passively.

I'd suggest toning some things back, adjust numbers and stuff, and MAYBE up the hit die slightly. While it's a one-trick-pony, some numbers feel exceptionally high for what they should be. Still, I'd love to try it.

Ach, those are all good points, and will be fixed up tomorrow when I get back to working on it. Glad you like it :smallbiggrin:

Westhart
2017-08-14, 09:43 AM

Added a limit.

Upped HD, added to text

Took out move speed, kept the ability to travel through fire, put a limit on it.

Added Radiation damage.
Nah, changed it 1/2 level*10, think it is better now, and evasion can still screw with it.

Fixed

I added this because most the time blasting is bad, especially compared to what can be done... Otherwise they can only get point whenever they take fire damage... Reduced it though, and will remove if it is still though to be redundant...

Feel free, just tell me how it goes.