PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] Rate this NPC Swordsage

AnimeTheCat
2017-08-11, 11:34 AM
I've made this swordsage as either a recurring aid or recurring nemesis to the party.

Human, Swordsage 3

Str
Int
Fort
+3
AC
HP

Dex
Wis
Ref
+5
Touch AC
Initiative
+7

Con
Cha
Will
+5
Flat-Footed AC
BAB/Grapple
+2/+4

Weapons:
Masterwork Katana, +6 (1d10+3) 19-20/x2
Unarmed Strike, +4 (1d3+2)
Shortspear, +5 (1d6+2)

Armor:
Masterwork Chain Shirt, 4 AC Bonus/4 Max Dex/-1 Armor Check Penalty/30 ft move speed

Feats:
Human - Improved Unarmed Strike
1st lvl - Improved Initative
3rd lvl - Blind-Fight

Maneuvers Known:
Burning Blade (DW)
Saphire Nightmare Blade (DM)
Shadow Blade Technique (SH)
Mighty Throw (SS)
Sudden Leap (TC)
Moment of Perfect Mind (DM)
Stone Bones (SD)
Mountain Hammer (SD)

Stances Known:
Blood in the Water
Child of Shadow

Skills:
Concentration: Ranks 6+ Ability 2 = 8
Tumble Ranks 6+ Synergy (jump) 2 + Masterwork Tool 2 + Ability 2 - ACP 1 = 11
Hide: Ranks 6 + Masterwork Tool 2 + Ability 2 - ACP 1 = 9
Jump: Ranks 6 + Synergy (Tumble) 2 + Masterwork Tool 2 + Ability 2 - ACP 1 = 11
Balance: Ranks 6 + Synergy (Tumble) 2 + Ability 2 - ACP 1 = 9
Move Silently: Ranks 6 + Masterwork Tool 2 + Ability 2 - ACP 1 = 9

Other Items:
Masterwork Tool (Jump) Springed Shoes
Masterwork Tool (Tumble) Padded Clothes
Masterwork Tool (Hide) Neutral Colored Cloak
Masterwork Tool (Move Silently) Silk Clothes
Standard Food/Water
Standard Adventuring Gear

Treasure:
150pp and Masterwork Gear

Would this be too easy alongside some monk/ninja types as an encounter? The party used a 28 point buy so that's what I used to create this character.

I took the feats/maneuvers that I did because I will be taking this character into Master of Nine if it survives long enough to get to that point.

Palanan
2017-08-11, 12:33 PM
Is this for the stress-testing project, or another game?

AnimeTheCat
2017-08-11, 12:35 PM
Is this for the stress-testing project, or another game?

For a different project. I actually have my ToB Book with me so I'm helping a friend and I'm just looking for some QC/input.

Palanan
2017-08-11, 12:39 PM
sigh.

Any idea when or if you'll pick up the stress-testing project again?

AnimeTheCat
2017-08-11, 12:51 PM
sigh.

Any idea when or if you'll pick up the stress-testing project again?

I tried to send you a PM about that, but your inbox is full. I'll send a PM about it once you've got some space.

Karl Aegis
2017-08-11, 02:00 PM
These numbers don't add up and I don't see anything signalling this is a real character with character. You don't list feats they have (toughness, Katana Proficiency), your AC looks like it has a ring of protection +2, and your skills don't look like they add up (Tumble: 7 ranks, +2 Stat, + 2 Masterwork Tool, -1 ACP != 11). When the numbers are not reliable, you have to show some character from this guy. But, there is none. He just has a handful of masterwork tools and a masterwork masterwork bastard sword.

Judgement:
Failure all around. Restart at the beginning.

AnimeTheCat
2017-08-11, 02:18 PM
These numbers don't add up and I don't see anything signalling this is a real character with character. You don't list feats they have (toughness, Katana Proficiency), your AC looks like it has a ring of protection +2, and your skills don't look like they add up (Tumble: 7 ranks, +2 Stat, + 2 Masterwork Tool, -1 ACP != 11). When the numbers are not reliable, you have to show some character from this guy. But, there is none. He just has a handful of masterwork tools and a masterwork masterwork bastard sword.

Judgement:
Failure all around. Restart at the beginning.

Could you explain? The Swordsage class gets proficiency in all martial weapons. A katana is a bastard sword. A bastard sword is considered martial when weilded in two hands.

This character is a concept/build that will have personality and traits added by the player (The DM).

The character doesn't need toughness... that would be a waste. The HP is calulated as 8+2 for the first level and (4.5*2)+4 for the three remaining levels, rounded down.

You did help me catch that the Swordsage adds his Wisdom modifier, not his Int modifier to AC. I'll adjust skills and ability scores accordingly.

Tumble ranks are calculated with Synergy bonuses as well so, Ranks 6 + Synergy (Jump) 2 + Masterwork Tool 2 + Ability Modifier 2 - ACP 1 = 11 score.

DeTess
2017-08-11, 03:25 PM
Is this NPC supposed to become a master of nine at one point or another? I don't really understand improved unarmed strike otherwise. For the rest, I'd consider taking another stance instead of blood in the water. Your build isn't a crit-fisher, so it isn't going to do much good. Depending on the players and the campaign, hunter's Sense might be useful, as would'flame's blessing.

AnimeTheCat
2017-08-11, 06:21 PM
Is this NPC supposed to become a master of nine at one point or another? I don't really understand improved unarmed strike otherwise. For the rest, I'd consider taking another stance instead of blood in the water. Your build isn't a crit-fisher, so it isn't going to do much good. Depending on the players and the campaign, hunter's Sense might be useful, as would'flame's blessing.

Yes, this is going to be a master of 9 at the earliest entry. What other stances would you suggest? The setting sun/diamond mind/desert wind ones don't strike me as particularly useful all around and fairly situational.

DeTess
2017-08-12, 03:07 AM
Yes, this is going to be a master of 9 at the earliest entry. What other stances would you suggest? The setting sun/diamond mind/desert wind ones don't strike me as particularly useful all around and fairly situational.

I wouldn't discount the desert wind stance if your campaign features challenges that do fire damage.

One piece of advice I've often seen for the swordsages is to pick one stance for combat (I'd say the shadow hand stance does that), and one for utility. Getting the scent ability from hunter's scent means that he gets another set of senses that, among other things, can allow him to pinpoint invisible creatures with a bit of work(very useful for an antagonist).

Also, if you want to get into master of nine at the earliest possible, add 2 levels of fighter. You only lose 1 initiator level, and you can enter master of nine after level 7, instead of after level 9.

AnimeTheCat
2017-08-12, 07:38 AM
I wouldn't discount the desert wind stance if your campaign features challenges that do fire damage.

One piece of advice I've often seen for the swordsages is to pick one stance for combat (I'd say the shadow hand stance does that), and one for utility. Getting the scent ability from hunter's scent means that he gets another set of senses that, among other things, can allow him to pinpoint invisible creatures with a bit of work(very useful for an antagonist).

Also, if you want to get into master of nine at the earliest possible, add 2 levels of fighter. You only lose 1 initiator level, and you can enter master of nine after level 7, instead of after level 9.

Cool. I'll pitch that idea to the DM. The party primarily consists of holy-rollers so not too much in the way of fire damage from the party. I guess the scent one is the best to take at level 3. The majority of the stances are kinda meh to me.