PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Homebrew Bonus for using smith's tools

Pinjata
2017-08-11, 12:08 PM
So, one of my players wants to play a character, proficient in smiths tools. He made a really nice story around it and I'd like to reward him somehow for it in-game. I was wondering how to shape this mechanically?

I was thinking of him being able to give a +1(nonmagical) bonus on to-hit and damage to a bladed weapon for a few rounds, or just one round).

I'd like to give him something for this nice bacground - how do I make weaponsmithing being rewarded with a non-broken mechanic? There is no weapon damage in-game (and I do not want to go there), but a bonus would be interesting.

Again, I could be all wrong about this. How do I approach this?

thanks

Easy_Lee
2017-08-11, 12:15 PM
How about letting the player reforge magic weapons into other kinds of weapons, within reason? Everyone at the table would appreciate that.

Ventruenox
2017-08-11, 12:24 PM
In my current campaign, the party encountered a tribe of half orcs whom lost their older generations to slavers about a decade ago. The surviving kids never learned the skills that would have been passed on, including blacksmithing. My character had some skill with the tools and set about fixing some broken crockery. Even though my character had ulterior motives, the DM awarded me for demonstrating a lost art to the tribe.

Potato_Priest
2017-08-11, 12:30 PM
I like the reforging magic items idea. Few things are more annoying than being told by the DM that you can't put one of your ten +1 scimitar blades on a stick to make a glaive.