PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help with campaign progress

MichielHagen
2017-08-11, 02:00 PM
Hi,

a short recap of my campaign so far with hopefully not too much details, it's 3.5 with homebrew classes.

Players started as childeren, but are now young adults. They grew up with special powers with an old Baron acting as foster parent to those who got outcast because of their abilities. The abilities (and magic) were non-existent before them, so they were special indeed.
After some adventures they are contacted by a Duke who found a mysterious building. In the building there were all kinds of quests they had to fulfill, and in the end it turned out it was build by the most powerful superhero long ago. They discover that every 5.000 years or so, the world sort of collides with a demon world, this upcoming collision is also the reason humans with special powers are born (their DNA is affected by it or so).

Their task is now to prepare for the Demon invasion. They, together with the Duke, have united the kingdom into helping them and have started gathering as many superpowers as possible. In this adventure however, it turned out the daughter of the Duke was a "Superhero" as well, who could copy other superpowers. She used this power for selfish reasons and even managed to kill one of the players (who so happens to had a secret ability to come back to live once, but with amnesia. Every players has a secret ability they don't know about at the start). Eventually the player starts to remember bits and pieces and the daughter is confronted, but manages to escape.

A month or two ago the players were given a few options on what to do, beside anything they were interested in doing themselves.
- While they are searching for new superheroes, news has come to them that some superheroes have turned up death.
- A rumor has come to them about an Island with Giants, that might proof to be powerfull allies.

They decided to take the less urgent second option and have last week finished that storyline, the Giants will come to help most likely, but it will take a few years (the demon invasion is predicted to be in about 10 years). They will probably arrive back in their original kingdom next sessions, and i wonder if some of you have ideas on how to work it out.

The murders were commited by a group that believe the humans with superpowers are the cause of everything bad that happened in the last years (lots of people died in the adventures). Their leader has a special power, but not just any power. He has the power to neutralize all other powers. Meaning once he gets near any of the players, his superpowers dissappear. The Dukes Daughter has also been targeted by the group, but as the assault took place, the daughter copied the ability of the leader, which the leader could sense, and she was recruited. So now there are two neutralising NPCs.

When the party returns to the coastal town they left from, they will be awaited by the Duke's butler, who has travelled with them a lot. I think i want him to stay very hidden, cloaked and call them over from an ally, creating a rather tense feeling i hope. He will tell the story of many superheroes getting killed and that they have to stay low.

I am not entirely sure how to go on from this point though. At this point mere humans stand no chance against the party in combat, but there are two neutralisers i can use to even the odds. But two encounters is not many even for this sidequest. So i am trying to get ideas on how to get more encounters, do i use poison? altough the other (NPC) superheroes were all killed with a neutraliser present, so i probably am stuck with just two encounters anyway.
I was thinking of one encounter entirely at the beginning, the group of assassins have heard of their travel to the Island and have been waiting in the docks for their return. Maybe wait for them to split up even, if they do not take the warnings of the butler seriously.
For this encounter i want to use the Daughter, who they will have a chance to recognize before she gets close enough with the right spot check. If they defeat her and her helpers they might get some answers out of her, or if she is death (and speak with dead fails) they might conclude themselves that if she has the power to neutralise their powers, there must be someone else as well.
After this i want to force the players to hunt the group down themselves, by keep giving them dead superheroes. The second encounter is either a trap, or them catching the group in the act of a assassination, depending on how things work out.

If anyone has any extra ideas or tips i am more than willing to listen, i have the feeling this might turn out a quick sidequest while that was not the intention. Although my party sometimes manages to make something much longer of sidequests anyway.

DeTess
2017-08-11, 03:33 PM
Did you consider tying this closer to the main story-line of the incoming demon invasion? maybe some scouts or whatever have started coming over to their worlds, and one of them had been influencing the leader of the neutralizers. Taking him out could set them on a path to find this creature and take it out. Maybe it has entered the world through some kind of rift or whatever that they need to find a way to close.

MichielHagen
2017-08-11, 04:04 PM
Those are excellent ideas, but i have already used those in the past of this campaign. I want to keep the actual demon influence out of this one to have a different kind of threat.

Mars Ultor
2017-08-11, 04:17 PM
Why is it necessary for the players to realize the daughter and main neutralizer are behind things right away? Perhaps the villains have found some magic or chemical substance that temporarily stops the heroes' powers, or gives their henchmen short-term super abilities. Perhaps the baron had a list of potential superpowered people, the daughter stole a copy, and now it's a race to find these individual superhumans before the bad guys kill them.

It becomes a series of adventures fighting the bad guys, not one fight. There could be clues each time that lead them closer to determining who's behind the murders and what their eventual plot is supposed to be.

Note that some secret organizations use cells, that is there might be six people but only one knows a person in another cell. That person might know five others, but he, too, only knows information about one person in another cell. You can't just beat up one guy and have him tell you everything, he only knows one other person, the rest is just general ideology. There's a masked bad guy leading them in their war against the freaks, but he doesn't actually know who or where he is.

MichielHagen
2017-08-11, 04:35 PM
Yes, i would like that!
The problem however is, that the power level of the party is way beyond any human. The only reason there can be any kind of fight, is because of the neutralisers. The way this campaign is setup, i cannot just say that there are mere humans who are like level 10 rogue or something, it would be against what this campaign is about. But a few level 5 rogues is possible if they are extremely well trained, once their super powers are neutralised, a group of level 5's becomes a threat to them.
Your option of temporal superpowers seems opposed to what the group stands for, they are against superpowers.

To get your situation i guess i have several options:
1. There are more neutralisers than just the two, but i somehow feel like this is "cheating", since there seem to be no duplicate superpowers in the past, there are no 10 firebenders or so they have found. The Duke's Daughter is the exception obviously.
2. I keep the two neutralisers, but will need a way to let the neutralisers survive and escape, but i have no clue how they would be able to do that.
3. I keep the two neutralisers, but the neutralisers are not present at all assassinations. They will still have them race the assassins to their target, but it's just about the race, a confrontation just means they have won.
4. Something else?

DeTess
2017-08-11, 04:49 PM
Have you already decided how exactly the neutralization effect works? For example, if it removes the powers from anyone that get close to the neutralizer for X minutes, the neutralizers could show up at the start of the fight, do their thing, then leave while the PC's fight the NPC's. The powers would remain neutralized for long enough that the neutralizer can escape.

MichielHagen
2017-08-13, 03:02 AM
That's an excellent idea, i was planning on the power being effective within a certain short range and ending once the players have enough distance from him/her again. But there is no reason that the power wouldn't have a delayed effect.
Thanks for this idea, it has solved my biggest problem!