PDA

View Full Version : Idea for bard

TheManicMonocle
2017-08-11, 03:38 PM
So here's my idea, what if there was a few new subclasses for bard that delved into different arts? So like instead of a musician, they drew things, or were actors. An artist could have drawings/sculptures come to life, while an actor would gain the powers of his character, similar to that mask prestige class from 3.5.

lunaticfringe
2017-08-11, 04:22 PM
Acting, Poetry, Oration, Dance, Singing, and any other Spoken/Verbal Modus Operandi is pretty much already covered by the basic Bard.

I'm having trouble with other mediums. I paint and am having trouble wrapping my head around creating an Inspirational piece in seconds (Bardic Inspiration is a bonus action). Sculpting and drawing fall into the same boat.

An idea for a Visual Bard that I think could work is illusion magic. Pretty Colors & Visual Aids at your finger tips.

"An incandescent, ethereal Woodpecker pecks at a weak point in the dragon's scaly hide" Take an Inspiration die.

Or something like that.

Jama7301
2017-08-11, 04:51 PM
If there ever was a Ritual Bard, sculpting, painting, or even long form songs and oral performances could slot into that nicely.

TheManicMonocle
2017-08-11, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the artist bard could be like sai from naruto

Specter
2017-08-11, 08:48 PM
In one of my campaigns, I had a villain Bard who killed people by painting them. After the PCS knew he was painting them, they had to rush to finish him. Good times.

No idea how to put that on class features, though.

BigKaiju
2017-08-11, 09:27 PM
I like the idea of a stand-up "philosopher", similar to poet. Nothing but puns and weirdly topical observations combined with non sequiter insults for Vicious Mockery.

Leave us alone, Mel Brooks!

TheManicMonocle
2017-08-11, 09:28 PM
I like the idea of a stand-up "philosopher", similar to poet. Nothing but puns and weirdly topical observations combined with non sequiter insults for Vicious Mockery.

Leave us alone, Mel Brooks!

Yeeah! That sounds rad!

JackOfAllBuilds
2017-08-12, 01:20 AM
I've been toying around with the idea of a fortune-teller bard (who DOESN'T dip divination wizard)

Using the Ritual Caster feat for Cleric rituals, mostly divination spells.

But here's the thing, they're a Charlatan, scamming npc's as a fortune teller.

Spells like Guidance, Resistance, Bane, Bless, Heroism, Aid, Counterspell... not sure on the specific loadout, but basically things that are luck/altering fate, but also just being charismatic (lying and persuading)
ex: Heroism only works by giving the allies a false sense of security and superiority, why the HP are temp

So some spells you'd expect of a gypsy fortune teller (real divination spells, but also bestow curse/eyebite for that "don't cross a gypsy") and foresight as a 9th spell.

But a lot of the magic is "was that even magic? or just placebo effect?"

Bob_McSurly
2017-08-12, 01:55 AM
So here's my idea, what if there was a few new subclasses for bard that delved into different arts? So like instead of a musician, they drew things, or were actors. An artist could have drawings/sculptures come to life, while an actor would gain the powers of his character, similar to that mask prestige class from 3.5.

I had pretty much the exact same idea, but I think non-verbal art forms would have to be separate classes. Maybe painters would make their magic paintings while the wizards (etc.) are preparing their spells? I don't have enough d&d experience (serious understatement :-)) to actually homebrew it though.