PDA

View Full Version : AL question - looting enemy bodies for armor and weapons

bloodgroove
2017-08-11, 04:38 PM
Does AL allow for looting of enemy bodies that are not specifically listed as treasure?
For example, I am a hill dwarf and my party defeated a group of duergar. The duergar
were wearing plate armor and I am only in splint right now. I was told I could not take
the armor due to it not being specifically listed as treasure. Looking for clarification since
I really cannot afford plate right now. If I am able to loot the armor could you please cite
the source so I can present it to my DM? Thanks....

Troacctid
2017-08-11, 04:43 PM
You can take it, but it disintegrates at the end of the session, as per the rules for treasure.

bloodgroove
2017-08-11, 04:58 PM
You can take it, but it disintegrates at the end of the session, as per the rules for treasure.

Where can I find that information? thanks

bloodgroove
2017-08-11, 07:06 PM
Where can I find that information? thanks

I found the info in the DDAL FAQ publication. Still sounds like a crock of a rule.

imanidiot
2017-08-11, 07:29 PM
I found the info in the DDAL FAQ publication. Still sounds like a crock of a rule.

AL has many such rules. It's garbage.

Sir cryosin
2017-08-12, 09:50 AM

But if it's not on the treasure list it's not treasure. So it shouldn't go puff at the end.

ZorroGames
2017-08-12, 12:56 PM
Okay, who isbeing logical here? Stop it.

Actualy if it upgrades you armor I can see it being done very easily. If it fits.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-08-12, 01:25 PM
Does AL allow for looting of enemy bodies that are not specifically listed as treasure?
For example, I am a hill dwarf and my party defeated a group of duergar. The duergar
were wearing plate armor and I am only in splint right now. I was told I could not take
the armor due to it not being specifically listed as treasure. Looking for clarification since
I really cannot afford plate right now. If I am able to loot the armor could you please cite
the source so I can present it to my DM? Thanks....

PHB PG 144 states that "weapons and armor used by monsters are rarely in good enough condition to sell." By logical extension they're not really good enough to use without extensive repair. Might have to do with all the holes, dents, etc you put in them killing the previous occupants.

This is still a DM's call (as are all treasure situations). In AL especially, where uniformity is important, I would deny the use of the armor. I can see others ruling otherwise, though.

Temperjoke
2017-08-12, 01:43 PM
I can sort of see why AL wouldn't allow you to keep things like armor and such looted from bodies, since it would create a greater discrepancy between DMs, as opposed to loot lists that are consistent in adventures.

Captain_Noonan
2017-08-13, 09:53 AM
I've seen an AL DM allow a character to take an armor to have fitted and repaired in town, essentially giving them the option to spend downtime days and then buy the armor at a discounted rate (I think it was 50% off). Seemed fair at the time.

BW022
2017-08-13, 10:59 AM
At the end of an AL adventure, the DM assigns treasure based on what encounters you have completed. Good adventures assume that you collected all the weapons and armor and sold it. It is included in the treasure totals. The DM then divide the treasure.

If your character wants a mundane item so badly... then just ask for it as a share of your treasure. If it is in the equipment lists in the PHB... are would be free to buy it anyway. Just mark down on your characters sheet. If your share of the treasure was 200gp... you are free to write down "+150" and "Scale mail from Grog the Bugbear" if you want.

While AL requires that mundane treasure is divided out equally and there are limits on trade/giving... I've found with nearly all good players and DMs typically work 'around' the meta-game aspects. For example, we had a lower-level fighter join at a table, so we all started paying for her expenses -- bribes, giving her potions (during the game), etc. -- so she would be earning gold quicker for her platemail. A few months later, she gave up her choice of a magical item to another PCs. It tends to work out of you play with the same folks over time.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-13, 11:55 AM
My dm allowed me to have it being i had two forms of healing and would use all my actions and spell slots on cure wounds.
At that point they gave it to me because we didnt have a designated healer but i took it over.

Sigreid
2017-08-13, 01:01 PM
PHB PG 144 states that "weapons and armor used by monsters are rarely in good enough condition to sell." By logical extension they're not really good enough to use without extensive repair. Might have to do with all the holes, dents, etc you put in them killing the previous occupants.

This is still a DM's call (as are all treasure situations). In AL especially, where uniformity is important, I would deny the use of the armor. I can see others ruling otherwise, though.

I can't speak to AL games, but at a normal table this is one of the reasons I'm such a fan of the mending cantrip.

Coidzor
2017-08-13, 02:26 PM

Other way around, the stuff is supposed to be poorly maintained by the monsters. Otherwise you could loot gear from enemies who were surprised or the like.

So the fridge logic is why the monsters don't have penalties from using gear that's in such bad condition it is impossible to be wielded by a PC.

My dm allowed me to have it being i had two forms of healing and would use all my actions and spell slots on cure wounds.
At that point they gave it to me because we didnt have a designated healer but i took it over.

What?

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-13, 03:05 PM
Other way around, the stuff is supposed to be poorly maintained by the monsters. Otherwise you could loot gear from enemies who were surprised or the like.

So the fridge logic is why the monsters don't have penalties from using gear that's in such bad condition it is impossible to be wielded by a PC.

What?
I was the only healer at a table of barbarians warlocks and fighters he gave me the armor to keep so i could keep the morons alive.