PDA

View Full Version : Immovable rod character

wunderkid
2017-08-11, 07:46 PM
Hey all looking at building a character for a few sessions. Something that caught my attention was the immovable rod and if it can become a combat tool.

What I'm currently thinking and please correct me if this doesn't work is:

Rogue 3/barbian 5

To give bonus action use item (As immovable is an action normally) and two attacks for grapple then shove to get them prone both with advantage and double proficiency.

So it would go attack action (grapple -> push prone.) Bonus action to pin them with the rod.

Does this work? Are there any other ways I could use the rod? And can you come up with a better build?

If I can persuade the gm id like to get the rod built into a club just so it can be a weapon too. But that may or may not happen.

Thanks for the help.

Naanomi
2017-08-11, 08:32 PM
In 3.5 I played a goblin Rogue/Barbarian who dual-wielded immovable rods; lots of fun. I'd condaider taking expertise in Acrobatics... some gymnastics/bars routines and a good pair of immovable rods and you can basically fly!

Mith
2017-08-11, 08:42 PM
In 3.5 I played a goblin Rogue/Barbarian who dual-wielded immovable rods; lots of fun. I'd condaider taking expertise in Acrobatics... some gymnastics/bars routines and a good pair of immovable rods and you can basically fly!

With an EK/Rogue mix, you can use the call weapon feature to make a 1 rung ladder to the heavens!

JackPhoenix
2017-08-11, 10:41 PM
Wouldn't work because of this:

If an item requires an action to activate, that action isn't a function of the Use an Item action, so a feature such as the rogue's Fast Hands can't be used to activate the item.

Besides, I wonder how would you "pin" your opponents with a rod in a way they couldn't just slide or otherwise move away from it.

smcmike
2017-08-11, 10:42 PM
Up to the DM how effective the rod is at pinning someone. It doesn't seem like it would be foolproof, since you'd have to position it just right to prevent them from escaping. I'd allow it, but a whole set of rules would have to be worked up for it I think.

I also like the image of using them in combat for movement, but, again, there is insufficient rules support for this. I'd figure something out, though.

Sir cryosin
2017-08-12, 09:29 AM
Have a smith make a large shield that's not to heavy to carry around and make brackets to slip the rod into so you can block doorways, opening, get two of them tie ropes to them with foot holds so you can climb up in mid air. Look at what Mythbusters did in the climbing up a airduck spy episode. Take the 2 and use them for hammock holds. Can use for a door stopper.

Ventruenox
2017-08-12, 10:24 AM
The Rogue may be unable to use Fast Hands for this as part of his own action economy, but what about a Chainlock's familiar? A sprite or imp with a readied action or standing order who is carrying the rod should be able to activate the rod to pin a prone opponent.

Sigreid
2017-08-12, 10:25 AM
Wouldn't work because of this:

Besides, I wonder how would you "pin" your opponents with a rod in a way they couldn't just slide or otherwise move away from it.

If I had an immovable rod and I wanted to hold you down with it, I'd push it down on hour throat under your chin before activating. Push down hard...yeah, you'd probably suffocate.

smcmike
2017-08-12, 10:49 AM
If I had an immovable rod and I wanted to hold you down with it, I'd push it down on hour throat under your chin before activating. Push down hard...yeah, you'd probably suffocate.

If you are able to do this, you would be able to perform a killing blow with an edged weapon.

Naanomi
2017-08-12, 10:59 AM
Hanging them in the air and provoking cavalry charges is fun, not always easy to see a little bar hanging out where you are not looking for it; and running into one at full speed is bound to hurt.

Likewise, getting some adamantine wire attached to two of them allows for a lot of 'impromptu tripwire' tricks

Pinning someone is probably hard; it would likely take a grappling check already. Or from stealth; setting one on either end of someone's foot for example. Attaching a hunting trap or manacle to it would also help

Sigreid
2017-08-12, 11:44 AM
Hanging them in the air and provoking cavalry charges is fun, not always easy to see a little bar hanging out where you are not looking for it; and running into one at full speed is bound to hurt.

Likewise, getting some adamantine wire attached to two of them allows for a lot of 'impromptu tripwire' tricks

Pinning someone is probably hard; it would likely take a grappling check already. Or from stealth; setting one on either end of someone's foot for example. Attaching a hunting trap or manacle to it would also help

See if the rogue can tie a rope to the guy's ankle, connected to the rod just before the joust?

Easy_Lee
2017-08-12, 11:53 AM
I imagine a monk could do some cool things with this. That said, requiring an action to activate it is a major problem for combat uses. This is an instance where something that should be a lot cooler than a regular +X weapon would end up not being that cool because of game mechanics.

Maybe a DM would hand wave that.

Sigreid
2017-08-12, 12:11 PM
I imagine a monk could do some cool things with this. That said, requiring an action to activate it is a major problem for combat uses. This is an instance where something that should be a lot cooler than a regular +X weapon would end up not being that cool because of game mechanics.

Maybe a DM would hand wave that.

Speaking of monk, for running up a really tall wall or cliff, the monk could move his full move, then use the rod as a perch to keep from falling. Same with the eagle barbarian's limited flight, if necessary.

Perhaps a warlock with levitation invocation could make a seat to hang from it, levitate up and then not have to worry about concentration as he blasts from his perch?

smcmike
2017-08-12, 12:54 PM
A big limit on the idea of using the rod offensively: if you pin someone with it, they can just push the button to deactivate it. Then they're free (and they have your rod!).

Temperjoke
2017-08-12, 01:09 PM
See, now all I can imagine is a monk Jackie Chan-ing with a pair of immovable rods, like fixing one to use to lift himself over attacks, then another move locking a 2nd to block an enemies weapon swing while kicking the opening in the enemy's defense, occasionally just whacking the enemy with the rods directly like they were clubs...

Sir cryosin
2017-08-12, 01:19 PM
See, now all I can imagine is a monk Jackie Chan-ing with a pair of immovable rods, like fixing one to use to lift himself over attacks, then another move locking a 2nd to block an enemies weapon swing while kicking the opening in the enemy's defense, occasionally just whacking the enemy with the rods directly like they were clubs...

I see him more of slamming it down on someone foot to lock it there. Or slipping it someone pants or shirt temporarily unable to move. Or wait for them to kick him then place it right under there leg as it lifted fully up. Or slipping it inbetween there belt and pants. Or playing it right behind them around there craft area to push then over to trip them.

Temperjoke
2017-08-12, 01:23 PM
I see him more of slamming it down on someone foot to lock it there. Or slipping it someone pants or shirt temporarily unable to move. Or wait for them to kick him then place it right under there leg as it lifted fully up. Or slipping it inbetween there belt and pants. Or playing it right behind them around there craft area to push then over to trip them.

Well, that's the difference between the earlier fights with the BBEG's random thugs, as he makes them look silly, versus the final battle when it's him vs. the BBEG and he's forced to get serious.

Douglas
2017-08-12, 01:29 PM
There are tons of ways to use it for creative martial arts techniques, if only the action of activating or deactivating it is treated as being as minor as the individual movements of a sword in an attack. Which it really should be, with it being just a button press, as long as you're gripping it with the button right under your thumb or finger.

Easy_Lee
2017-08-12, 01:53 PM

I want to see that movie.

Zene
2017-08-13, 07:18 PM
I want to see that movie.

Zomg Jackie Chan with even one immovable rod, I'd pay to see in theaters more than once.

Plot of DnD movie #2, I hope.

JackPhoenix
2017-08-13, 11:51 PM
Zomg Jackie Chan with even one immovable rod, I'd pay to see in theaters more than once.

Plot of DnD movie #2, I hope.

I've read that as "zombie Jackie Chan". I'm not sure if that would made it better or worse.