PDA

View Full Version : UA Warlock??

carrdrivesyou
2017-08-11, 08:00 PM
So I am in a campaign that seems to be quite lethal. We started at 1st level and just got to 4th. All five PCs have died once, putting us each on our second characters. With that in mind, I am designing a backup character that I can have on hand. As usual, I wanted you delightful Playgrounders to look it over for flaws before I put it into service.

As for the campaign, it's a bit odd, in that it allows modern and medieval themes to mix. So here is my idea: Warlock, Pact of the Blade, Raven Queen Patron.

Cormac, Half-Elf, Neutral Good, Warlock 5
STR. 8
DEX. 16
CON. 14
INT. 10
WIS. 12
CHA. 18
Initiative +3
HP: 38
AC: 16

Skill Proficiencies in: Deception and Intimidation (Warlock), Perception and Persuasion (Half-Elf), Sleight of Hand and Stealth (Urchin).

Invocations:
1. Arcane Gunslinger (Can create any weapon I have ammo for? self spawning ammo?)
2. Thirsting Blade
3. Armor of Shadows

Spells:
1st:
1. Charm Person
2. Hex

2nd:
1. Invisibility
2. Hold Person
3. Mirror Image
3rd:
1. Gaseous Form

Cantrips:
1. Friends
2. Eldritch Blast (+7 hit, 2 beams @ 1d10 each)
3. Mage Hand

I took +2 Charisma at 4th level, in hopes of pumping up my ability to hit with Eldritch blast when I do cast it.

For you DMs out there: Would you allow the pact weapon I create to spawn WITH or WITHOUT ammo?

For everyone: Did I do this right? Am I missing anything critical? Would this be effective in-game?

Another player has a modern character and his pistol does 2d6 damage. I imagine that shotguns and larger weapons would scale well, but again...AMMO.

Your thoughts Playgrounders?

EDIT: removed Hold Person from 1st level spell list

Dudewithknives
2017-08-11, 08:19 PM
The build looks pretty solid.

A few opinions and questions.

1. Raven queen is an amazing patron, however she is much more a caster centered patron than a pact of blade one. Run with it if you want though.

2. Which rules for guns is the DM using. If it is the ones out of the dmg then not much way around the loading property for the arcane gunslinger unless there are homerules.

3. I would center on either the gun or the Eldritch blasts, having both is redundant.

4. Technically nothing about pact of the blade or the invocations with it say anything about making ammo for the gun, but it does for the moonbow. I would allow it to make ammo based on that rule, but it couldn't ignore the loading issue.

The Cats
2017-08-12, 03:58 PM
Ian Cormac? Is your patron Earth Central AI?

carrdrivesyou
2017-08-15, 02:35 PM
The build looks pretty solid.

A few opinions and questions.

1. Raven queen is an amazing patron, however she is much more a caster centered patron than a pact of blade one. Run with it if you want though.

2. Which rules for guns is the DM using. If it is the ones out of the dmg then not much way around the loading property for the arcane gunslinger unless there are homerules.

3. I would center on either the gun or the Eldritch blasts, having both is redundant.

4. Technically nothing about pact of the blade or the invocations with it say anything about making ammo for the gun, but it does for the moonbow. I would allow it to make ammo based on that rule, but it couldn't ignore the loading issue.

As far as I know, the DM *is* using the rules from the DMG for modern weapons. I mentioned this build to him, and he has not given me a definitive answer on whether or not the weapon creates its own ammo. So I'm not sure if I will have to reload or not.

I've seen the Moonbow, and I like it all in all. Good mechanic, good flavor, well balanced. I would assume that since both are conjured in the same manner, the same ammunition rules would apply, but I guess we will see. Likely to be at DM discretion if it makes publishing.

As for Eldritch blast, what would I replace it with? Mage Hand and Friends are both solid choices, but the other options don't seem as good IMO. I suppose Prestidigitation COULD be useful, but I've not been a fan of having it in previous editions.

EDIT: I don't know who this Ian Cormac is. I looked through a list of names associated with corvids and it popped up. :smalltongue:

Chunkosaurus
2017-08-15, 03:28 PM
So I am in a campaign that seems to be quite lethal. We started at 1st level and just got to 4th. All five PCs have died once, putting us each on our second characters. With that in mind, I am designing a backup character that I can have on hand. As usual, I wanted you delightful Playgrounders to look it over for flaws before I put it into service.

As for the campaign, it's a bit odd, in that it allows modern and medieval themes to mix. So here is my idea: Warlock, Pact of the Blade, Raven Queen Patron.

Cormac, Half-Elf, Neutral Good, Warlock 5
STR. 8
DEX. 16
CON. 14
INT. 10
WIS. 12
CHA. 18
Initiative +3
HP: 38
AC: 16

Skill Proficiencies in: Deception and Intimidation (Warlock), Perception and Persuasion (Half-Elf), Sleight of Hand and Stealth (Urchin).

Invocations:
1. Arcane Gunslinger (Can create any weapon I have ammo for? self spawning ammo?)
2. Thirsting Blade
3. Armor of Shadows

Spells:
1st:
1. Charm Person
2. Hex
3. Hold Person
2nd:
1. Invisibility
2. Hold Person
3. Mirror Image
3rd:
1. Gaseous Form

Cantrips:
1. Friends
2. Eldritch Blast (+7 hit, 2 beams @ 1d10 each)
3. Mage Hand

I took +2 Charisma at 4th level, in hopes of pumping up my ability to hit with Eldritch blast when I do cast it.

For you DMs out there: Would you allow the pact weapon I create to spawn WITH or WITHOUT ammo?

For everyone: Did I do this right? Am I missing anything critical? Would this be effective in-game?

Another player has a modern character and his pistol does 2d6 damage. I imagine that shotguns and larger weapons would scale well, but again...AMMO.

Your thoughts Playgrounders?

Why didn't you take spiritual weapon? It is a great nonconcentration bonus action spell allowing your damage output to be very high.

carrdrivesyou
2017-08-16, 03:08 PM
The DM in this campaign is not fond of giving us short rests, so I figured I would keep my spells for escape and evasion tactics. I would assume that my damage output with a modern weapon would be pretty high? Something to the effect of 2d6 or better.

Also, I see this guy as more of the scout archetype than a glass cannon.