PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 2nd Ed Hammers v. warhammers

VoxRationis
2017-08-11, 08:56 PM
The equipment section in the PHB mentions "warhammers" in the list of weapons and "hammers" in the table that lists rates of fire and ranges of various missile weapons. Are these synonymous? Did they neglect to include a hammer that can be thrown in the primary list?

Xuc Xac
2017-08-12, 03:08 AM
Which PHB?

LibraryOgre
2017-08-12, 08:49 AM
Combat and Tactics has a simple "hammer" that has a throwing range, as well. It does d4/d3, with a WS of 4.

VoxRationis
2017-08-12, 11:28 AM
2nd edition, 1996 printing. They sometimes had a few issues with tables, I've noticed.

Digitalelf
2017-08-12, 03:08 PM
The equipment section in the PHB mentions "warhammers" in the list of weapons and "hammers" in the table that lists rates of fire and ranges of various missile weapons. Are these synonymous? Did they neglect to include a hammer that can be thrown in the primary list?

I'd say they are one and the same, as according to the "Arms and Equipment Guide" (emphasis mine):

"A war hammer is a good secondary melee weapon. It causes a little more damage than a dagger and can be thrown just as far. The weapon is terrific against skeletons, better than edged weapons. In a pinch, the war hammer can also be a tool for things like hammering in spikes. A lot of clerics who can't use edged weapons have found the hammer an acceptable alternative.''

Looking at the ranges for a dagger... The "hammer" has identical ranges (i.e. 10/20/30).

So yeah, I'd say it wasn't a mistake... Confusing, yes, but the numbers match.