PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying The Sons of the Sun (a little background story for my game)

Jon_Dahl
2017-08-12, 01:54 AM
Some time ago, I mentioned the Efreeti of the Sun. A couple people seemed to find this idea mildly interesting, or at least wanted to know what the official source was. I decided to write a little background story. I hope you like it and if you don't, please tell me.

Five thousand years ago, the Efreeti established a colony on the Sun by using powerful magic. Even though all of the Efreeti who migrated there wanted to live in a place like the sun, which is hotter than most of their native plane (i.e. The Elemental Plane of Fire), their leader did not share their enthusiasm. This young Efreeti prince enjoyed beauty and there was none to be found in his new home. His father, the most powerful sultan of the Efreeti history, wanted to educate his “weak son”. Sultan was happy when his son rebelled against his father and declared the Sun an independent monarchy. In his opinion, the Sun was useless anyway and so was his son, so the sultan demanded a very high payment from his son and that was it. The sultan made sure that almost everyone forgot this distant star in some plane called who-cares.

Not only did the young sultan of the Sun, also nicknamed the Son of the Sun, manage to have his own independent realm, he managed to bring beauty to it. Through powerful magic, most of it derived from interplanar sources, he created fireproof nature. This nature was nothing amazing, just some trees, rocks and birds, but it made him immensely happy. It was just like in the songs.

Long after his death, the fireproof nature is thriving, but no one has cared about it for centuries. That has changed now.

Two rivaling Efreeti factions vied for the control of the Sun. The “Old Guard”, which is comprised of powerful older Efreeti few in number, and “the New Sons”, the younger generation that vastly outnumber the Old Guard. The Old Guard had an idea. There had been rumors of “Earth” or “Aerth” or whatever. The Old Guard built flying magical ships from fireproof lumber (the nature was completely destroyed in the process) and tasked the New Sons to conquer this place. They would naturally rule over this new place and the Old Guard would not interfere. The New Sons bought into the idea and so the ships were built. The ships proved to be incredibly expensive but the Old Guard couldn’t wait to send the “kids” away and the New Sons couldn’t wait to leave. The New Sons took their slave armies and mercenaries with them, which was a great relief to the Old Guard.

Now the New Sons are sailing across the universe ready to enslave any and all weaker creatures they can find and the Old Guard can finally have that slow, decadent, superficially intellectual and quiet life that they have been longing for.