PDA

View Full Version : Computer Looking for real time tactics

Toastkart
2017-08-12, 08:55 AM
Back in the day, I very much enjoyed the game Mechcommander. I liked the on-the-fly tactical decision making. I liked that your pilots had personalities and got better the more you used them. I liked the customizability. The mechs themselves were just awesome all around. I liked the chance for good salvage making your team stronger.

I've been in the mood to play something like Mechcommander. There are mods to make it work on 64bit systems, but not without performance issues, and frankly, I've played the game to death. Mechcommander 2 was not up to par for me, and I've played it a fair bit too.

Is there anything out there in this genre that I'm not aware of? It doesn't have to be mech-based, but customizability of units is a big deal.

Triaxx
2017-08-12, 01:28 PM
Two suggestions spring to mind, both a bit older:

First is Fallout Tactics, which isn't true real-time, but has continuous turn-based mode where you constantly regenerate AP to perform actions, or you can drop into either squad or individual turn-based modes. It's neither a perfect Fallout Game, nor a perfect Real-time Tactics game, but I enjoy it.

Second is 7.62mm High Calibre, which is a hilariously russian game, where it individually tracks the time taken to change magazines in seconds, tracks the time taken to swap weapons, or reload magazines, or even clean weapons. Grab the Blue Sun mod, which adds quite a bit of content, and some guns, as well as making the game a bit more playable in some areas. Oh, and it's also extremely hard, like STALKER or Dark Souls.

Gnoman
2017-08-13, 05:30 PM
Second is 7.62mm High Calibre, which is a hilariously russian game, where it individually tracks the time taken to change magazines in seconds, tracks the time taken to swap weapons, or reload magazines, or even clean weapons. Grab the Blue Sun mod, which adds quite a bit of content, and some guns, as well as making the game a bit more playable in some areas. Oh, and it's also extremely hard, like STALKER or Dark Souls.

Don't undersell it. 7.62 High Caliber models the amount of time needed to take a cartridge out of the box and put it in a magazine. You can also carefully select what ammo is loaded in a magazine (for example, you can actually load a 15 round magazine in a 1AP 2JHP 1AP 2JHP 1AP 2JHP 1AP 2JHP 1AP 2JHP pattern), and you actually have to have magazines to load the cartridges into - they're a discrete item.

Triaxx
2017-08-13, 06:27 PM
Plus the exact time for the location of the magazine on your body. Yeah, it's an awesome game.

Artanis
2017-08-16, 01:05 PM
It sounds like X-COM: Apocalypse would be worth a look. Your guys' loadouts are customizable, the troops get stronger with experience, and it can be played as either turn-based or pauseable real-time.