PDA

View Full Version : "Not Out of Luck" Haley and Belkar

Alex Warlorn
2007-08-09, 09:42 PM
While at first it seems that Haley and Belkar just had their death warrents stamped, and Lien was just sentenced to die by Hobgoblins.

HOWEVER, if Haley and Belkar can somehow make it through Recloak's attack party alive, and if Lien can keep from dying long enough, she can give the two a ride to the Royal Junk.

Kaerou
2007-08-09, 09:46 PM
I dont think Lien is in danger. Her shark mount can easily outpace the junk, and she can ride after them at any time.

The only question is why she just sat there and watched them leave.

Kjata
2007-08-09, 09:48 PM
I dont think Lien is in danger. Her shark mount can easily outpace the junk, and she can ride after them at any time.

"What... What the hell are they doing?"

Antamar
2007-08-09, 09:49 PM

Shock from Captain Axe leaving her behind (just look at her face).

RAGE KING!
2007-08-09, 10:32 PM
lien should ride away from the dock, but in plain sight, so that haley and belkar can find them.

Tirian
2007-08-09, 10:32 PM
"What... What the hell are they doing?"

Probably more like "How the hell can he sail that boat backwards?" Elan is looking forward from the bow at a retreating city, after all. :smallconfused:

The chances depend largely on how far Captain Axe decides to go. He's out of arrow range right now, and they're sure not going to be carting the siege engines all the way through town tonight, so hopefully he stops where he is. And would prepare to come closer when Hinjo regains his senses and orders it.

lokycat
2007-08-10, 01:04 AM

Easy...It was not her turn so she cant act.:smallamused:

David Argall
2007-08-10, 01:25 AM
Haley and Belkar have great hide & move silently. They can kick back safely just about anywhere in the city for as long as they want. Now they might have a little trouble keeping Roy from being made into a zombie, but they are not in any danger to speak of.

Lein isn't either. She is the toughtest critter in the water, and she can follow the ship when she feels like it. I would consider any sorrow at the ship's retreat as due to paladin inability to understand strategic withdrawal.

Currently there are at least 3 plans for the OOTS to get back together again shortly.
Lein gives Haley and friends a ride.
Celia is called on to transport them.
Haley and Belkar just hide a day or two and the shipboard spellcasters arrange a pickup.

Expect to see the party reunited soon.

David Argall
2007-08-10, 01:52 AM
Probably more like "How the hell can he sail that boat backwards?" Elan is looking forward from the bow at a retreating city, after all. :smallconfused:

I suspect there are more than a few errors about the ship in this comic, but junks often enough do have high sterns and low bows, so Elan could easily be standing in the stern in 481.

lavidor10
2007-08-10, 07:35 AM

It's because Captain Axe is such a badass awsome sailor

LordVader
2007-08-10, 08:12 AM
Unfortunately, no.:smalltongue: It's because Elan was indeed standing in the rear. Junks have low fronts and high bows. Also, the way the sails are curved indicates that Elan is in the stern.

Jayabalard
2007-08-10, 08:53 AM
Unfortunately, no.:smalltongue: It's because Elan was indeed standing in the rear. Junks have low fronts and high bows. Also, the way the sails are curved indicates that Elan is in the stern.
That doesn't make any sense... The bow is the front, so it can't be a low front and high bow, since they're the same thing. The bow is the forward part stern is the aft or rear portion of the ship.

Rich just drew the junk oddly in that comic; the stern of the junk shouldn't be coming to such a sharp point, it should be much flatter.

RAGE KING!
2007-08-10, 09:48 AM
Easy...It was not her turn so she cant act.:smallamused:

the boat would probably need at least a moderate wind for that, and it didnt seem like there was one. (double move = 27 feet, moderate wind = x2, strong wind = x3)

im not sure about that see here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0471.html) But its too small to accurately tell.

factotum
2007-08-10, 11:05 AM
Check out #418, then--the junk is quite clearly drawn with its bow facing out to sea in that one, and it beggars belief that they would have turned it round for some reason with the hobgoblin army due to arrive in a matter of hours.

Recursive
2007-08-10, 11:21 AM
Haley and Belkar are resourceful enough to elude the hobgoblins indefinitely, if Belkar refrains from doing anything too stupid. (Hey, it could happen!)

Roy's not getting any deader, and he's got two weeks before the deadline for a Raise Dead spell from Durkon. A century and a half for resurrection.

Lien is in no real danger unless Xykon himself chooses to come after her; against any lesser threat, she and Razor rule the water as decisively as the hobgoblins hold the land.

The one I feel sorry for is O-Chul. Haley is the only one who knows he's alive (let's face it, Belkar has forgotten already.) The longer it takes her to inform Hinjo, the more remote the possibility of rescue. If forced to hang out eternally with the MITD, even a stoic guy like O-Chul is bound to fail a limits-of-my-own-sanity check sooner or later...

bluish_wolf
2007-08-10, 05:55 PM
The one I feel sorry for is O-Chul. Haley is the only one who knows he's alive (let's face it, Belkar has forgotten already.) The longer it takes her to inform Hinjo, the more remote the possibility of rescue. If forced to hang out eternally with the MITD, even a stoic guy like O-Chul is bound to fail a limits-of-my-own-sanity check sooner or later...

At least he won't be held indefinitely. Redcloak will likely dispel the parallelization in order to get him to talk.

maitreyi
2007-08-10, 06:05 PM
I think Lien will find them, or they will find Lien, and she will carry them to the ship:smallamused:

The suspense is killing me. The Giant is so good at this.:smalltongue:

RAGE KING!
2007-08-10, 07:56 PM
of course he is...its how he makes a living

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: