PDA

View Full Version : Adding Middle-Earth options to base game

j_spencer93
2017-08-12, 12:22 PM
Is there any reason to not add the Middle-Earth games subclasses to the Base games equivalents (slayer-Barbarian, Warrior-Fighter) and add scholar as a class?
I have used them sporadically and it wasn't bad, just want a second opinion before I add them to my permanent options for my players. I might have missed something.

Also, is there any reason to worry about adding the feats or not?

Pex
2017-08-12, 06:09 PM
The Middle Earth classes were designed with understanding there would be no magic or magic items and the rest mechanic is tied into adventuring. That is why class features and feats are about getting a special item or influencing rests. Some class features and feats are also about influencing roleplaying and NPCs of the gameworld.

I suppose it is technically possible to make it work if you really want to, but I'm doubtful if the effort is worth it. Particular concepts might work. Because there is no healing magic in Middle Earth they went into detail to have herbs to cure injuries and maladies. That can be ported to a generic 5E game to make the Herbalism and Medicine skills more valuable.

j_spencer93
2017-08-12, 06:13 PM
Thats the main draw honestly. I have players that would like more uses for their skills which it does add. I was just not sure if i was missing anything that may cause a problem or hiccup with the official stuff.

GlenSmash!
2017-08-15, 04:09 PM
The Middle Earth classes were designed with understanding there would be no magic or magic items and the rest mechanic is tied into adventuring. That is why class features and feats are about getting a special item or influencing rests. Some class features and feats are also about influencing roleplaying and NPCs of the gameworld.

I suppose it is technically possible to make it work if you really want to, but I'm doubtful if the effort is worth it. Particular concepts might work. Because there is no healing magic in Middle Earth they went into detail to have herbs to cure injuries and maladies. That can be ported to a generic 5E game to make the Herbalism and Medicine skills more valuable.

Hmm. The Loremaster's Guide has a whole section for Magic Weapons, Armor, and Wondrous Items.

That being said, the point still stands. Classes like the Warden, and Wanderer are built toward the Audience and Journey systems, without implementing and regularly using those systems, the classes will seem like they have holes in their design. And I fear the scholar will seem like a spell less wizard with little to make up for the lack of spells. well maybe just master scholar Master healer does get a fair amount of healing.

If crossover some class options, Slayer and Warrior are definitely the best ones to try out.