PDA

View Full Version : Half-Dragon Over LA-ed?

Conners
2007-08-09, 09:56 PM
This thread is for discussion of half-dragons and their LA. You may also use this thread for displaying your ideas of how the half-dragon template could be altered for campaigns.

MrNexx
2007-08-09, 10:01 PM
I think the real problem is that the concept of LA is poorly done; I prefer LA done somewhat like bloodline levels.

MeklorIlavator
2007-08-09, 10:07 PM
I think their are a couple things that could be done.
A)Give wings regardless of size
B) Balance their stats. I think the Strength bonus should be halved at least.
C)Give them a breathe weapon similar to a Dragonborn, usable every 1d4 rounds.

StickMan
2007-08-09, 10:07 PM
I thinks so but then I think Half-Ogre is fine from savage species (What it sucks as a LA 2 and you know it!!!). I think LA is a load of bull for the most part think about it. If a monster has a CR of 2 and a Level Adjustment of 4 with its racial hit dice how is it the same power level as a Level 2 PC that is a CR of 2. Just stop and think that one out now something that has a CR of 2 is effectively two levels higher than something of the same challenge rating. Think about it, Think about it.... DING DING DING most of the LA in DND is bull!!!

Bosh
2007-08-09, 10:18 PM
WotC generally errs on the side of too much LA since they want to encourage people to play more normal races. Whether that's a good idea or not is open to question...

For most PC classes I think giving them a level of commoner for free for each LA would be fair in most cases.

Wolfwood2
2007-08-09, 10:28 PM
Let's see. For paying a +3 LA, you get +8 Str, Con +2, Int +2, Cha +2; +4 to natural armor, and an energy immunity. The breath weapon is pretty trivial.

Worth it? Yes, I'd say it's worth it. However, as with most level adjustments it's not all that playable until you have hitdice equal to twice the LA.

So if you have a level 6 half-dragon in a 9th level party, I think the half-dragon will play just fine. Of course, you're going to be pushed exclusively into the melee damage monster roll, but them's the breaks.

JackMage666
2007-08-09, 10:59 PM
I think it's an over-under problem... It's Overpowerful as +2, but underpowered as a +3.
Much like the Hobgoblin.

Also, we use the +1 LA for Half-Ogre as well. Seems kinda wrong an Ogre and a Half-Ogre have the same LA (I know, Ogres have racial HD, too, but giant HD are not the worst HD ever).