PDA

View Full Version : Adding Warlock invocation abilities to items?

skunk3
2017-08-12, 07:11 PM
Is it possible to enhance/enchant an item so that it bestows permanent use of a warlock invocation?

I would think it is possible, but I have no idea how to price it. Looking at the info in the DMG for crafting items, this is what I understand... please tell me if I am wrong!

Let's use Utterdark Blast as an example. It is effectively 8th level. The dark Rod of Eldritch Power is 64k gp and requires a cl of 16 to craft.

8 * 16 * 2000 gp (for 'use activated') = 256,000 gp.

It is an at-will ability, I assume it would be the same as having a 24 hour duration? If so, we divide by 2. We are now at 128k gp.

In page 282 of the DMG it says under 'other considerations' that you can further reduce the price by requiring a certain class and/or alignment to use. Obviously, this would be a Warlock item, and my character is CG, so adding those 2 requirements would knock off a further 60%... 30% per requirement.

That leaves us with a grand total of 51,200 gp.

Would this be accurate? According to this 'formula' the least and lesser invocations would be crazy cheap to add to gear.

Furthermore, would I be paying 1.5x that price if I added it to something that already has a magical property? Would it be possible to just put these properties on a weapon?

The rods only provide 5 uses per day, and they also limit things to shapes or essences.

HALP.

skunk3
2017-08-12, 07:12 PM
Furthermore, I have no idea how they arrived at the prices for the rods of eldritch power.

Crake
2017-08-12, 07:18 PM
For an at will, instantaneous ability, you do not treat it as having a 24 hour duration, that only applies for effects with a duration, so it's price would be 256,000gp.

For warlock invocations that act as 24 hour long buffs, the pricing becomes a little harder to determine, because usually the major limitation on the buffs is that they're limited only to the warlock, which is an inherent property of magical items already. So for example, an item of walk unseen should be identical in price to a ring of invisibility, since they do practically the same thing. This is the inherent issue with following a pricing guideline as if it were RAW.

skunk3
2017-08-12, 07:20 PM
I basically want access to as many Warlock powers as possible. I am already going to be taking several extra invocation feats.

(warlock 3 / cleric 3 / eldritch disciple 10 / warlock 1 / hellfire warlock 3) - this is my planned progression through 20.

Troacctid
2017-08-12, 07:29 PM
The guidelines for pricing magic items do, by RAW, actually tell you to start by comparing with similar items. Which means the ring of invisibility equivalency is basically what the book would recommend.

However, in general, custom magic items are entirely at the DM's discretion. As with custom spells, you cannot use the rules to determine an "official" cost without also consulting with your table's DM; to do so would be against RAW.

There is an item in the game that straight-up gives you an extra invocation. It's called the Codex Advocare, and I'm AFB, but I believe it's something along the lines of 23k gp for a Warlock to permanently learn an extra least invocation of their choice. I would expect versions for higher-level invocations to be commensurately more expensive.

Crake
2017-08-12, 07:32 PM
I basically want access to as many Warlock powers as possible. I am already going to be taking several extra invocation feats.

(warlock 3 / cleric 3 / eldritch disciple 10 / warlock 1 / hellfire warlock 3) - this is my planned progression through 20.

So what you want isn't an item that can actually use an invocation, but rather one that grants you an additional known invocation? That's something you're gonna have to discuss with your DM, there's no hard and fast pricing for something like that, but the closest analogue would probably be a knowstone, from dragon magazine, which gives spontaneous casters extra known spells.

You could discuss with your DM about allowing a warlock variant of a knowstone, which instead gives you an additional invocation. The price of the knowstones is spell level squared x1000, so you can use the invocation's effective spell level in that equation to determine the price of the invocation know stone.

I would note that a sorcerer is still limited in spells per day, so an invocation knowstone should probably be priced slightly higher than a spell know stone, since it's usable at will, and part of a warlock's balance is their inability to have access to a large pool of invocations, at least not early on.

I would also probably limit them to invocations that couldn't be duplicated with an item already. So for example the charm invocation would be fine, but the walk unseen invocation, or the fell flight invocation are already covered by various existing magic items, but again, ultimately this comes down to what your DM feels is acceptable for his table.

skunk3
2017-08-12, 08:47 PM
The problem with the Codex Advocare is that they probably are quite rare (i doubt that I could go to magic mart and pick up a stack, assuming that I could even afford to) not to mention the fact that 20k or so seems like a helluva lot of gp for some of the least invications, but not so bad for others. Unfortunately, gaining access to higher invocations would be insanely expensive.

I guess I'm just gonna look into homebrew Warlock items as there's a paltry few that actually help Warlocks I've seen in the official books.

Thurbane
2017-08-13, 11:57 PM
If you're not happy using the Codex Advocare, you could have a look at Knowstones (Dragon 333), and try to derive a price form there.

The are an item that grants extra spells known to spontaneous casters.