PDA

View Full Version : Spell resistance?

loves_to_laugh
2007-08-09, 10:12 PM
I am trying to find the best way to create a character with the highest spell resistance possible and I'm not quite sure how to. I know there are creatures with spell resistance but I'm not sure what is best. Any ideas or helpful hints?

loves_to_laugh
2007-08-09, 10:25 PM
Is there anyone with some suggestions? :smallbiggrin: :smallcool: :smallsigh:

Reel On, Love
2007-08-09, 10:27 PM
Geez, hold on to your horses.

Try a cleric. Increase your caster level as much as possible (Orange Ioun Stone, Strand of Prayer Beads - Bead of Karma) and then cast Spell Resistance a lot.

loves_to_laugh
2007-08-09, 10:29 PM
ok, that sounds like a good idea

BardicDuelist
2007-08-09, 10:32 PM
I always liked the Nerra Varoot from the Fiend Folio. For a +3 LA it has:
Disguise self 3/day
Mirror Image 1/day
Cold, Fire, Electricty resistance 10
+3 Natural AC
Mirror Jump
Dex +4, Con +2, Wis +4, Cha +6
Sonic Vulnerbility (sonic attacks do x2 to you)
and the best part
REFLECTIVE spell resistance of level +12

The reflective spell resistance turns all effects that are risisted back upon the caster.

I think it is far better than a drow or deep gnome. Ofcourse LAs suck hard, but this may be the one time when it may be worth it. Just don't play a caster.

loves_to_laugh
2007-08-09, 10:34 PM
Oooo... I like the looks of that. That looks like a very good option.

TheLogman
2007-08-09, 10:45 PM
Karsites are a +1 LA Human, with a few bonuses, the most important of which being 10+Character Level SR. Oh, he can never cast spells though, he can Use Magic Devices, Psionics, Truespeak, but never cast a spell.

A Defiant Gets 15+Class Level SR against only Divine Spells, with said Spell Resistance being expanded, granted, and finally expanded to Grant Immunity to Damage from Divine Spells. Also, at level 9, any Divine Spellcaster has to do a Concentration check (15+Defiant level+Spell Level) to cast anything. This Stuff doesn't stack though.

Any magic item that grants SR costs 10,000 for every point over 12 SR. (SR 20 Costs 80,000 Gold.) There is NO cap on how many SR a Magic Item costs, so doing that could be pretty easy.

loves_to_laugh
2007-08-09, 10:49 PM
does the SR from an item stack with natural SR?

BardicDuelist
2007-08-09, 10:52 PM
No, you use the higher of the two.

Technically, by RAW, I think that reflective and normal spell resistance are checked seperately. That would mean that they would have to check to overcome one, and then the other. I would not allow this to work if I were the DM, so yours might not either.

TheLogman
2007-08-09, 10:55 PM
No it does not sadly, but if you have Specific SR (Like against Divine Stuff, or Evil Spells) that is greater than your natural SR, then the Specific takes over for specific stuff, and the Generic/Natural SR covers anything that is not covered by the Specific.

Example: Jerry the Wonder-Cleric turned into a Defiant, swapped in his levels, and got powered up. Now, Jerry has 21 SR against Divine Spells. However, Jerry the now Anti-Cleric Picks up a ring of SR, which gives him 15 SR, for the cost of 30,000 gp. When a Divine Spell that allows SR hits him, he uses the 21, when any other Spell hits him, he uses the 15.

Short answer? No

loves_to_laugh
2007-08-09, 11:01 PM
Ok, thats what I figured. Ok, so I just remembered (DM ruling) that i can only use the core and complete books, so the nerra varoot wouldn't work. But the SR super item would, I mean we get somewhere around 700000 ish to spend. Ok to get more specific, I am engaging in a gestalt battle and well, I want to kick the butts of the people who are more experienced than me. I know for a fact that most of them are going to be some sort of spell casters, thats where the SR come in.

de-trick
2007-08-09, 11:11 PM
you could go with a drow

Douglas
2007-08-09, 11:23 PM
Drow or Pixie gets SR that scales well with level, and if the DM lets you gestalt the level adjustment with class levels it's not much of a handicap. If DMGII is allowed, there is a vest in there that increases SR by 5 if you already have a permanent source of SR.

excrtd
2007-08-09, 11:25 PM
I believe that you would be limited to a spell resistance item with a market price of less then 200,000 gp since exceeding that would make said item epic and thus ten times the cost or something like that.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-08-09, 11:28 PM
I know for a fact that most of them are going to be some sort of spell casters, thats where the SR come in.

The best defense against casters is to be a caster yourself. There's quite a bit that casters can do to you that avoids spell resistance (Forcecage, for instance).

Reel On, Love
2007-08-09, 11:32 PM
Ok, thats what I figured. Ok, so I just remembered (DM ruling) that i can only use the core and complete books, so the nerra varoot wouldn't work. But the SR super item would, I mean we get somewhere around 700000 ish to spend. Ok to get more specific, I am engaging in a gestalt battle and well, I want to kick the butts of the people who are more experienced than me. I know for a fact that most of them are going to be some sort of spell casters, thats where the SR come in.

Frankly, you're not going to be able to. Level 20 gestalt characters range from "ridiculously overpowered" to "completely and irredeemably broken", and you just plain can't get enough spell resistance to really hamper them (especially with stuff like the Assay Spell Resistance spell). Really, by the rules, a high-level wizard can just gate in a Titan, which gates in another Titan, which gates in another, forever.

If you want to be protected from spellcasters, here's what you need:
-Your own spellcasting, since this is gestalt.
-Unbeatable saves. In practical terms, this means that you need CHA to saves--at least twice. And you can still roll a one (the Pride domain helps, but it's from the Spell Compendium--get the Luck domain).
-A very high touch AC.
-(Improved) Mettle and Evasion

Monk 2 gets you Evasion, and WIS to AC (including touch AC). The Ascetic Mage feat (CAdventurer) can switch that to CHA to AC if you have arcane spellcasting.
Hexblade 3 gets CHA to saves vs. spells, and Mettle.
Blackguard 2 gets CHA to saves again.
Cleric 1 gets you two domains (Luck should be one) and Turn Undead.

Sorcerer casting goes well with CHA to saves. Plus as an arcanist you can take the Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil prestige class--the veils are an excellent defense against *anything*, including spells. It's either that, or taking Warmage into Rainbow Servant (Complete Divine) 10 to get to cast any cleric spell spontaneously--add 4 Warmage levels on the other side of your gestalt so you don't lose any casting.

So a build focused on protecting itself from casters could look something like Monk 9/Hex 3/Fighter 1/Blackguard 2/Cleric 1/Warmage 4//Warmage 9/Rainbow Servant 10/Archmage 1.

A side benefit of the Archmage level (and also doable with the Extraordinary Spell Aim feat) is that you can Sculpt an Antimagic Field so that it surrounds you but doesn't affect you. Then you can buff up (use Miracle to emulate other spells) and hit things while wrapped in an AMF. This is also a great anti-caster strategy. In fact, it can make the saving throws and touch AC redundant. Simply making a fighter//spellcaster with an AMF you can shape and great buffs is a solid strategy, and simpler than the horrific mishmash of classes above.

But if there's no limits to what you can do, then there's no point in having the fight, since there are infintiely broken tricks (like the gating in of infinite titans), and completely broken tricks (like absuing the Relic-making rules in the Complete Divine to get items worth many, many, many, many times what you pay for them).

BardicDuelist
2007-08-09, 11:33 PM
I forgot where it was, but somone linked to a guide on how to boost your dispel checks enough to counterspell virtually everything.

(Side note: Too bad it isn't allowed, because a Varoot with the Spellfire Wielder Feat from Magic of F is the bane of all casters. By taking away the ability scores bonuses, natural armor, resistances, and SPAs, my DM let me make it LA+1 and use the buy off, so making that a spellthief 1/wizard x with the master spellthief feat. That character was sent to the negative energy plane if I remember correctly...).

loves_to_laugh
2007-08-10, 12:02 AM
alright. thanks for the tips. I've been thinking about an antimagic field...