PDA

View Full Version : Help with my necromancer spell selection

Sir cryosin
2017-08-13, 08:13 AM
So I'm rolling up a necromancer wizard he is a Sylvari (plant person). We are starting at lv 3 my DM gave me a zombie minion that will grow a bit stronger as we get higher levels. My plan for him is getting him prof in med armor and give him a great sword and he is going to be my body guard.
My stats are. I have the lowest stats in the party.
Str 8
Dex 14
Con 13
Int 16
Wis 13
Cha 10

So what spells should I pick (as I'm the only caster in the party. We have beast Ranger, barbarian, barbarian/paladin, and maybe someone else but dont know yet. rogue all melee.) so a nice mix of attack, cc, support.

Thanks for advice.

Beechgnome
2017-08-13, 08:53 AM
You probably want to focus on spells that give allies advantage on their attacks, plus some defence for you and a tactical damage spell like magic missile so you can pick off nearly dead opponents for extra hp. Despite being necromancy icwouldnt bother with ray of Sickness or Enfeeblement.

Something like:

Cantrips: Chill touch Minor Illusion Shocking Grasp
1st level Shield Magic Missile Tasha's Hideous Laughter
2nd Blindness/deafness Misty Step Web

You could reflavour web as clingy vines too. Basically your two concentration spells are Tasha's and Web, which you use to either take down one big brainless guy or split a group of baddies and Your attacks target 3 diff attributes (one Con save one Wis and one Dex). Damage when you need it from Chill touch or magic missile, but mostly by blinding, knocking prone or restraining, you'll be letting your allies go to town. They'll appreciate it.

Sans.
2017-08-13, 09:13 AM
I'd take some cold spells too; death is traditionally associated with cold, so maybe Frostbite/Ray of Frost, Chromatic Orb, a Cone of Cold or two a lot later. This is flavor only, by no means optimised. Your stats aren't terrible; Resilient (Con) later on would probably be a good choice.

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-08-15, 10:41 PM
Beechgnome has pretty good suggestions. Especially since enemies that are, say, blinded are easier for your zombie to hit, too.

And let's face it: Blinding curses, freezing touches, giant cobwebs, maniacal laughter, these are all flavorful necromancer spells.

EDIT: Now, obviously you're going to want Animate Dead at level 5, but I recommend you take either Fear or Hypnotic Pattern as your second pick for 3rd level spells. They're both great, but they overlap a bit so you're better off diversifying than taking both.

Sans.
2017-08-16, 03:51 AM
Actually, if you can wait 1 more level, you get the spell for free. So if you can bear waiting another level...

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-08-17, 05:03 PM
Actually, if you can wait 1 more level, you get the spell for free. So if you can bear waiting another level...

True. Not everyone who went through the trouble of picking a necromancer wants to, though, and wizards aren't hurt by selecting a spell early that you could get for free later the same way sorcerers can.

But if you want to wait to get Animate Dead until sixth to maximize your number of free spells known, then pick up either Hypnotic Pattern or Fear at level 5, and one other spell. Probably either another utility spell (Dispel Magic and Counterspell aren't bad, though Necromancers aren't as good at either as Abjurers or Bards) or Fireball. Fly is another good option, though it eats up concentration. If your wizard is getting attacked too often, Blink's not the worst defense and it doesn't take concentration.