PDA

View Full Version : DM Help condensing

Angelenigma
2017-08-13, 04:54 PM
So, my friend, who is usually our DM, came up with an idea of doing one shoots, except with a little twist. There are two DM's. He came up with this idea so that people like me, who want to learn how to be a DM can learn with someone being able to help. Our next one is him teaching me and together we are going to make the dungeon. My issue is something he doesn't know either. I want a small group of raiders to fight our group of players. So, our issue, condensing the raiders to less than a page. With skills and weapons and magic... I'm not quite sure how to make it smaller (because this is for the room I needed to make by myself, DM's requirement) and so I asked our DM and he wasn't quite sure either. Originally we were thinking to only write down the ones we use in combat. only issue is where our players are going to meet the raiders, they start out fighting on the same side against a few monsters, so we didn't know if we need non combat skills as well for the possibility that our players might try to get their help with diplomacy or something that would require a counter skill that we wouldn't write down for combat. Would anyone be able to help?

Mike Miller
2017-08-13, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure what you are asking for. What is it you need help with?

Angelenigma
2017-08-13, 07:29 PM
I'm not sure what you are asking for. What is it you need help with?

Basically, we are trying to make a level 8 character condensed to a half a page, maybe a page. The Raider group consists of a wizard, Medic (basically cleric), barbarian/warrior, and rouge. These are going to fight our players. My DM showed me how to take out the useful information for creatures by just writing out the hp, inititive, AC, BAB, Speed, Saves and just the names of feats to save room. Basically I'm trying to do that for the raiders so that I can fit them within a few pages (1-2) so that I don't have to flip through 6-7 every time one of my raiders attack or use a skill or spell.

flappeercraft
2017-08-13, 09:19 PM
Pass them over to me in google drive or something and I'll condense it for you, my email is *removed since it's not needed and I don't want to get spammed by trolls*

Angelenigma
2017-08-13, 09:38 PM
Pass them over to me in google drive or something and I'll condense it for you, my email is [email protected]

That would be awesome and thank you, but I'm afraid I can't do that. This is something that my friend and I want to learn so that we can do this at any point where we might have an NPC with character levels in combat. As we learn so does the group which means that they well then know how to condense class characters for campaigns. We are hoping that after we've done the one shot dungeons everyone will know how to DM and then take the load off our current DM because he is always DMing and sometimes playing his own character at the same time. Again I appreciate the offer to do it for us and I'm sorry that I won't be accepting.

flappeercraft
2017-08-13, 09:51 PM
In that case I would reccomend using small font, use acronyms and avoid skipping lines, bold to notice the difference between one part and another. Also have related things in the same line like AC and HP.

zlefin
2017-08-13, 09:56 PM
I'm not sure quite what you're looking for.
when I tried using the condense char sheet/generate statblock thing in mythweavers it spit out this.

male Neutral Human Scout 1 / Cleric 1 / Human Paragon 1, Level 3, Init 5, HP 27/27, Speed 35
AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15, Fort 5, Ref 3, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 0
handaxe +1 (1d6+1, x3)
str 12 longbow, composite (40) +1 (1d8+1, x3)
mithril chain shirt (+5 Armor, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 13, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 12
Condition None

There's a basic limit to how much you can condense things; if there's a lot of info, there's a lot of info, and you can't cut it down shorter without cutting out things.
I'd say you probably want two sets of sheets; a short form sheet (maybe even an index card per raider) which just has the bare essentials; then a long full sheet that has stuff like skills in case that stuff comes up.
most of the time you just use the short sheet, but if you can get out the big one if something unusual is called for.

Angelenigma
2017-08-13, 10:06 PM
In that case I would reccomend using small font, use acronyms and avoid skipping lines, bold to notice the difference between one part and another. Also have related things in the same line like AC and HP.

Thank you. I'm hoping to not need tomuch a smaller font and be able to find things to get rid of so that it takes up even less room.

Angelenigma
2017-08-13, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure quite what you're looking for.
when I tried using the condense char sheet/generate statblock thing in mythweavers it spit out this.

male Neutral Human Scout 1 / Cleric 1 / Human Paragon 1, Level 3, Init 5, HP 27/27, Speed 35
AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15, Fort 5, Ref 3, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 0
handaxe +1 (1d6+1, x3)
str 12 longbow, composite (40) +1 (1d8+1, x3)
mithril chain shirt (+5 Armor, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 13, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 12
Condition None

There's a basic limit to how much you can condense things; if there's a lot of info, there's a lot of info, and you can't cut it down shorter without cutting out things.
I'd say you probably want two sets of sheets; a short form sheet (maybe even an index card per raider) which just has the bare essentials; then a long full sheet that has stuff like skills in case that stuff comes up.
most of the time you just use the short sheet, but if you can get out the big one if something unusual is called for.

Actually that is mostly what I am looking for. Its short and sweet and the only things I need to add would be spells and any special feats. definitely helps a lot!! thanks!