PDA

View Full Version : Rejiggering Stats, Skills and Saves

Kane0
2017-08-13, 10:09 PM
Hello all.

I'm thinking of making some fairly big changes and testing them in a one shot. I'd be happy to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions!

Stats:
Dexterity, Physique, Intellect, Intuition, Charisma and Discipline replace the old stats.
Essentially Physique combines Str/Con and Wisdom is split into Intuition and discipline.

Saves:
Back to the old Fort/Ref/Will. Fortitude uses best modifier of Physique or Discipline, Reflex uses best of Dexterity or Intuition and Will uses best of Intelligence or Charisma.
Old Strength and Constitution saves are now Fort, Dexterity is now Reflex and Intelligence/Wisdom/Charisma saves correspond to Will.

Skills:
Dexterity covers Acrobatics, Stealth and Thievery (sleight of hand + thieves tools)
Physique covers Althetics and Endurance
Intellect covers Arcana, Lore (History/Religion) and Medicine
Intuition covers Insight, Investigation and Perception
Charisma covers Deception, Intimidation and Persuasion
Discipline covers Concentration (which is a check now, not a save) and Survival
16 Skills in total, each attribute gets three each except for Physique and Discipline

Proficiencies:
Characters gain proficiency in two attributes, which covers the save and all skills tied to it. One comes from class (each class has two to choose from) and the other from background. For example Barbarian offers Physique and Dexterity, Fighter offers Physique and Discipline, Wizard offers Intelligence and Discipline, etc
I'm considering a high-power alternative where you get three (both class attributes plus one from background).
Interestingly this can be set up so each class gets its own unique combination with space for three more (eg Artificer, Mystic and an int gish).
There's also the possibility of going back to picked out skills, but seeing as I'm testing in a one shot this makes rolling a character faster.

Actually when I look over it it doesn't seem that major. A couple name changes, shuffling of skills and reverting to an already done save system. Anyways, going to see if it alters play at the table to have a more balanced focus on the three pillars instead of mostly combat or if I have to dig deeper.
Anyways, tell me what you think!

kebusmaximus
2017-08-13, 10:23 PM
This isn't a comment on your actual ideas, but shouldn't this go in the homebrew subforum? I believe you need to ask a moderator to move it for you.

Eko
2017-08-13, 10:44 PM
Saves:
Back to the old Fort/Ref/Will. Fortitude uses best modifier of Physique or Discipline, Reflex uses best of Dexterity or Intelligence and Will uses best of Intuition or Charisma.
Old Strength and Constitution saves are now Fort, Dexterity is now Reflex and Intelligence/Wisdom/Charisma saves correspond to Will.

This *probably* should go in homebrew, but I'll reply here anyways:

What is the justification for Reflex saves using the best of Dexterity or Intelligence? Dexterity I can understand, but why Intelligence? I would reckon Intuition makes more sense here - when avoiding a fireball or some other fast-moving object, something has to move quickly - be it your mind or your legs. As I understand it, intelligence is the ability to think deeply, intuition is the ability to think quickly.

Just my two cents, but I'd like to hear your reasoning.

Kane0
2017-08-14, 12:08 AM
Yeah I just threw it up here for some responses before I did a full write up, saves a bit of time if there's something that breaks the game that I didn't consider.

Intelligence for Reflex was mostly because 4e did it that way, but would be easy to swap around with Intuition in this case. Will edit!