PDA

View Full Version : DM Help *Spoilers* DM for SKT, looking for advice on how to handle..

Stygofthedump
2017-08-13, 11:19 PM
players approached Yakfolk village peacefully and smoked the pipe with the Yakfolk leader (all passed sleep save). I cast Yakfolk as tribal natives on the edge of survival. The players noticed slaves working and the Yakfolk leader freely admitted owning slaves but pointed out they weren't stolen. The players proceeded to negotiate to buy all slaves in village, to which the leader agreed after setting an outrageous price.

Now I feel the players didn't enter village 'guns blazing', so to speak, so I would like to reward peaceful intent but I also don't want to skip the whole encounter as i like to force them to expend resources before fire giant encounters.

options:
1 Maybe the Yakfolk have a superstitious belief no one can walk to doors (or pretend to)?
2 Mass ambush by all village warriors (seems unfair punishment for good behavior)?
3 allow players to arm slaves and lead a revolt?

Suggestions?

Oramac
2017-08-14, 07:35 AM
Honestly, all of those sound like "punishment" for not going murder hobo on the yakfolk.

Instead of a combat encounter with the Yakfolk, I'd just make the Fire Giant encounter more difficult. Maybe the giants have a few hobgoblin allies along, or there's a couple young Salamanders the giants keep as pets, or something like that.

QuintonBeck
2017-08-14, 08:36 AM
I'm inclined to agree with Oramac. Have the Yakfolk tip off the fire giants that outsiders are coming through so they have some prep time to get tougher but there's no need for the Yaks to throw themselves into conflict with the party. Since the normal route of "Trick, knock out, enslave" didn't pan out, just let them allow the party to pass confident that they'll be killed by the fire giants. If you really want to use the Yakfolk encounter have them set something up for when/if the party gets back out (assuming they don't teleport.) If the party never fights the Yakfolk, bam you now have a backup encounter for a future adventure.

I played a SKT game in which the Yakfolk captured us all in the night after we approached them peacefully and it ended in a TPK since we had nothing to effectively fight back with. Not fun. Really wanted to go to the fire giant forge more than I wanted to mess around with shaggy yak men.

thoroughlyS
2017-08-14, 04:16 PM
I'm more inclined to offer the timeless advice: "try, try again".

You could have 2-3 Yakfolk possess some of the slaves, and request to follow the party into the mines as a show of gratitude. Make the slaves dwarves, so the suicidal pride makes more sense. Also have the chief offer them more of the food, to take with them on their journey. If they eat the food, have them make another Con save 1 hour later, and if part of the party falls unconscious, have the Yakfolk spring out of the slaves and attack then. Even if the group succeeds again (or refuse the food) have the Yakfolk jump the party during their first fight in the mines. If they refuse to take the slaves with them into the mines, then just leave them alone. They have successful evaded attack.

Stygofthedump
2017-08-14, 06:27 PM
Thanks for feedback, I feel they should be rewarded for not being murder hobos and will give them a pass, maybe treasure tax them to pass through village both ways. (I also attempt to keep party poor so they appreciate treasure when they get it)

I think some extra goblins or salamanders is a good idea.
Thoughts on XP? I like to give some reward even without a battle.

Hmm now i'm thinking the main 'priest' sees magic dripping from them and demands an item to gift to their gods as price of passage. (they have one or 2 items they don't use - I wouldn't want them to sell these and make tons of gold would I:smallsmile:)

Rebonack
2017-08-14, 06:36 PM
Thanks for feedback, I feel they should be rewarded for not being murder hobos and will give them a pass, maybe treasure tax them to pass through village both ways. (I also attempt to keep party poor so they appreciate treasure when they get it)

I think some extra goblins or salamanders is a good idea.
Thoughts on XP? I like to give some reward even without a battle.

Hmm now i'm thinking the main 'priest' sees magic dripping from them and demands an item to gift to their gods as price of passage. (they have one or 2 items they don't use - I wouldn't want them to sell these and make tons of gold would I:smallsmile:)

XP is rewarded for overcoming an encounter. Overcoming can mean talking your way through it, befriending monsters, sneaking around it, setting them fighting each other, or murder via grievous physical harm. I personally prefer offering more of a reward for solutions that don't involve murderhoboing.

Stygofthedump
2017-08-14, 06:41 PM
XP is rewarded for overcoming an encounter. Overcoming can mean talking your way through it, befriending monsters, sneaking around it, setting them fighting each other, or murder via grievous physical harm. I personally prefer offering more of a reward for solutions that don't involve murderhoboing.

Agreed, Will do.

Oramac
2017-08-15, 01:29 PM

Yup. Quoting for truth.

Aembrosia
2017-08-15, 03:45 PM
Iirc there is a manticore perched on the cliffface.

Maybe theres more than one manticore...

Maybe they have been hungrily observing the village for awhile now...

Maybe the villagers are rightly nervous about descending the cliffs...

Maybe the manticores get a little impatient and try to snag an easy meal...

Thats a nice rescue mission you got there, shame if some third party ambushed it.