PDA

View Full Version : Critique this gish build.

Abstruse
2007-08-09, 11:00 PM
Here's the basis:

Warblade 1 / Wizard (Conjurer) 4 / Jade Phoenix Mage 2 / Abjurant Champion 5 / Jade Phoenix Mage 3-7. (I'm looking at Conjurer right now because of the special ability granted to conjurers in the PHB2. That's flexible, though.) At the top of the progression, I'll have an effective caster level of 17 and BaB of +18.

One potential drawback, if it might be called that, is that JPM only gets new maneuvers and stances from the Desert Wind and Devoted Spirit schools, which the Warblade normally gets no access to. It limits, somewhat, the possibility for delving deeper into the schools the Warblade typically starts with. Is that a shortcoming of this build? Would I be better off going Warblade/Beguiler, or Crusader/Sorcerer, or something else entirely?

What feats or stances are particularly appealing in Desert Wind/Devoted Spirit? (JPM will only get five maneuvers and one stance in total from them.

Darrin
2007-08-10, 09:38 AM
Here's the basis:
Warblade 1 / Wizard (Conjurer) 4 / Jade Phoenix Mage 2 / Abjurant Champion 5 / Jade Phoenix Mage 3-7.

JPM requires Concentration 9, so you can't get into it until after 6th level. If you're trying to keep your 9th level spells, you'd have to start with Warblade 1/Wizard 5. In that case, you'd probably want to finish out JPM, using Abjurant Champion to delay/bump up your Initiator Level so you can get the maneuvers you want out of JPM.

One potential drawback, if it might be called that, is that JPM only gets new maneuvers and stances from the Desert Wind and Devoted Spirit schools, which the Warblade normally gets no access to. It limits, somewhat, the possibility for delving deeper into the schools the Warblade typically starts with. Is that a shortcoming of this build?

It becomes a lot harder to pick up the really nice Iron Heart, Tiger Claw, and White Raven maneuvers, you can get those via the Martial Study feat if need be.

Would I be better off going Warblade/Beguiler, or Crusader/Sorcerer, or something else entirely?

Crusader/Bard might be a bit stronger, if you use Sublime Chord to rebuild your spellcasting. Also Snowflake Wardance happy fun synergy.

What feats or stances are particularly appealing in Desert Wind/Devoted Spirit? (JPM will only get five maneuvers and one stance in total from them.

Aura of Chaos (stance) sounds like loads of fun, but requires two Devoted Spirit maneuvers. To get it, take Foehammer (ignore DR, +2d6 damage) and Revitalizing Strike.

This doesn't leave much room for Desert Wind maneuvers, but Burning Blade is a strong first pick because the damage scales as you level up. Pick up Death Mark next if you can. Not sure what you'd take after that.

Who
2007-08-10, 09:44 AM
Crusader/Bard might be a bit stronger, if you use Sublime Chord to rebuild your spellcasting. Also Snowflake Wardance happy fun synergy.

What does snowflake wardance do?

Darrin
2007-08-10, 10:34 AM
What does snowflake wardance do?

Spend a bardic music use as a free action to add your Charisma bonus to attack rolls for one-handed slashing weapons. Lasts number of rounds = Perform ranks, fatigue afterwards. Works nicely with Tiger Claw TWF builds.

Abstruse
2007-08-10, 11:24 AM
Snowflake wardance is in Frostburn, right?

Abstruse
2007-08-11, 01:38 PM
A modified build, then:

Crusader 1 / Wizard 5 / JPM 2 / Abjurant Champion 4 / JPM 3-10.

Assuming a DEX of merely 16, greater mage armor, swift-cast shield, and being in the JPM's mystic phoenix stance, at level 12 this grants an AC of 34 (without any items). Touch AC is only 15, due to the other bonuses being from "armor and shield", but that could easily be improved with items.

Effective caster level at character level 12 is wizard-10, with BaB +9.

Any suggestions for feats? I had in mind a battle-commander's role for this character, so I'll likely be incorporating some of Logic Ninja's tips for being Batman spell-wise.

Arbitrarity
2007-08-11, 01:41 PM
That's the same build I continually come up with in my mind :smallconfused:

Wow. Weird.

Abstruse
2007-08-11, 01:45 PM
Well, what was your mind considering for Feats? :smallbiggrin: I was thinking of Sculpt Spell, given that I was initially aiming away from a straight blaster. Extend Spell or Sudden Extend would help keep defensive boosts, like Greater Mage Armor, up for full days at a time.

But all those are disconnected, and I'm looking for a synergy that might combine to greater effect for a top-notch battlefield controller.

Arbitrarity
2007-08-11, 02:07 PM
JPM makes arcane strike redundant. For Battlefield Control, you want the various conjuring spells (solid fog, etc), and you clearly need to get a reach weapon with Thicket Of Blades. Combat reflexes is obviously needed, but past that, it gets trickier. Improved trip and knockdown are dependant on strength, stand still is OK if you do enough damage. As a caster, metamagic is clearly good.

Quicken (spells while fighting? Good. not being able to boost is iffy), extend (wraithstrike! Foresight! Greater Mage Armour! Actually, the greater rod isn't a bad option either, but still.), sculpt (Glitterdust!), Smiting (Hoorah, cast, then hit things and cast at once. Great if you prepare/ambush), chain (preferably with reach. Chained Reach Vampiric touch is funny.). Practiced spellcaster is good for the CL loss. You NEED to get combat casting for Abjurant Champion.

Depends a lot on what books you have as well. Extraordinary concentration is nigh worthless with sonorous hum, for example.

Abstruse
2007-08-12, 12:14 PM
JPM makes arcane strike redundant.

I'm not sure that it does. Arcane strike applies to all attacks made after you sacrifice the spell (and is a free action to activate), while arcane wrath only affects a single attack or maneuver and takes a swift action. Admittedly, the damage potential from arcane wrath is substantially higher for a single-attack, but when you're talking about a decent-BaB gish with haste or something similar arcane strike could provide more of a bonus.

It also applies to attacks of opportunity, I believe.