PDA

View Full Version : How good is healing elixer on a warlock?

Rfkannen
2017-08-14, 07:59 AM
Was looking at the healing elixer spell from the starter spell ua, and was wondering how good it is on a warlock.

For example, as a warlock if you have any spell slots left before a short rest you can cast them and get some free health potions, which is pretty nice.

In fact, if you know your going to have a fighter in 10 hours you can make 10 healing potions, which is pretty darn useful!

on the other hand you can't cast low level spells, and it doesn't scale.

So what do you think? How useful is it? My first thought is it is very good at low level but doesn't scale well, is that accurate?

What are your thoughts on the healing elixer spell?

nickl_2000
2017-08-14, 08:13 AM
Was looking at the healing elixer spell from the starter spell ua, and was wondering how good it is on a warlock.

For example, as a warlock if you have any spell slots left before a short rest you can cast them and get some free health potions, which is pretty nice.

In fact, if you know your going to have a fighter in 10 hours you can make 10 healing potions, which is pretty darn useful!

on the other hand you can't cast low level spells, and it doesn't scale.

So what do you think? How useful is it? My first thought is it is very good at low level but doesn't scale well, is that accurate?

What are your thoughts on the healing elixer spell?

You have a pretty good assessment here, it's a useful spell at early levels especially but the amount of healing doesn't ramp up well enough to be all that great long term.

That being said, it's a decent way to prevent waste as a warlock if you are going to take a short rest and still have spell slots available.

Sir cryosin
2017-08-14, 08:17 AM
I find it good and useful at low levels but after 2nd level spell slots it not worth it. Unless your setting up for a rest just to burn the slots. But on the other hand I find it really nice on a Sorcerer. One level in warlock for healing elixir and unseen servant. At the end of the day pop all your spell slots into Sorcerery points. Then use then to charge first level slots and make a lot of elixirs. Put them in a bag then during the day summon a unseen servent and have him go through the the battle field healing your party. While you focus on killing things.

Rebonack
2017-08-14, 10:50 AM
I've got it on my ChainLock and it has been pretty great. I use any downtime/travel time to crank out elixirs and then hand them off to the Imp, who feeds them to party members in combat. Though it's worth mentioning that we're using the spellpoint variant for the Warlock, so she can cast at level 1 to make more efficient use of the spell. I would honestly suggest any warlock player inquire about using the spellpoint variant simply because getting punished for using spells that don't scale (eg, most of the spells on the Warlock list) is pretty awful.

While 2d4+2 isn't much healing, that's enough to get someone back on their feet after getting dropped to zero. And it doesn't require an action of any kind, either. Elixir is great because of its ability to circumvent action economy first and foremost.