PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled Malack's Book

Turin_19
2017-08-14, 09:51 AM
Hi,

I've been rereading throguh BRitP, and I found that Durkon get's an "easily replaceable" book from Malack.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0739.html

Don't remember if that ever comes up again. Does it have any other meaning? Do we know which subject it is? Does Durkon use it later?

Sinewmire
2017-08-14, 09:58 AM
Whilst we can't be certain, it seems highly likely to contain treatises on Negative Energy and spells based on it, as Durkon was looking at researching his Mass Death Ward spell, which he completed later with Malack's help.

Especially given Malack's health issues - he'd be intimately familiar with the subject material already!

Kantaki
2017-08-14, 10:02 AM
That Mass Death Ward spell Durkon was researching at the time.
Or, more accurately, closely related topics to help D create the spell.

Riftwolf
2017-08-15, 07:44 AM
Reading it again, I'm guessing the 'easily replaceable' part was bit of subterfuge to explain why Malack would be willing to give out a book of powerful unique researches. It's because that book had spells with backdoors, so it didn't matter to him if Durkon used that power against him (which he did) as Malack can nullify it (which he did).

MesiDoomstalker
2017-08-15, 04:02 PM
Reading it again, I'm guessing the 'easily replaceable' part was bit of subterfuge to explain why Malack would be willing to give out a book of powerful unique researches. It's because that book had spells with backdoors, so it didn't matter to him if Durkon used that power against him (which he did) as Malack can nullify it (which he did).

I think you have it backwards. The book contained information that assisted Durkon in developing the spell, but the book itself did not contain any spells. Malack assisted Durkon in developing the spell and in the process, worked a 'backdoor' into the spell so uttering the right phrase would dismiss the effect even if one did not cast the spell.