PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Marksman

Westhart
2017-08-14, 10:05 AM
My goal here was a fighter fix (at 1st) that kept the bonus feats and versatility that was the goal of the original (I think :smalltongue:). This devolved into several types, some are done some are not, but here is the marksman:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16Co-TyZOUFXhB3Q2cNlrYOLqhpnZe00cIZOwdAptctc/edit?usp=sharing
As always PEACH.

Westhart
2017-08-21, 08:16 AM
Added an ability at 18th, going to bump because I like my things to get at least one good peaching ('cause my stuff usually comes out a tad OP numerical wise),

AtlasSniperman
2017-08-21, 06:16 PM
I'll give it a go, as I love playing Archers.

Hide in plain sight at level 2? I personally am not against that, but don't you think it's a little overpowered compared to when other classes get it? Straight up there is no downside to a Ranger taking a 2 level dip into this fighter, with the exception of decreased fort.

Deadly Accuracy is something I've always loved. But I understand why it isn't in the base game. The frequency of Robin Hood rules however tells me that it's probably not too op

Hawk Eyes is a super powerful ability that I would restrict to projectile weapons(Bows, Crossbows, Sling) rather than everything. A level 5 Marksman would have a range increment of 70ft with a thrown dagger, for a maximum range of 350ft. which is a little crazy for a level 5 character with a thrown weapon.

Volley should probably carry a small additional penalty. Is it full BAB for each attack? Same as the bottom? same as the last -2? I would personally look into something like "When making a full attack, a marksman may make an additional ranged attack at the same BAB as each of his iterative attacks. e.g. +6/+1/+1 at 6th level, +11/+6/+6/+1/+1 at 11th level and so on. This ability does not stack with Rapid Shot."

Uncanny dodge :)

Wind looks like it'd be fun. Could be super powerful but would be rare enough to not be too imposing on a game as far as I know.

Mettle talks about Infiltrators, and even if you swapped it to Marksman I don't see the real need of this one.

No Opening would be a godsend in 3.5. Pathfinder has Snap Shot, but incorporating that into a class isn't a terrible idea.

No problem with Deadly Range, except maybe that it'd take a long time to get to, and this class doesn't have any abilities it works on from what I can tell.

Shot on the run for free. Perhaps it would be best to call it what it is, that way it could be used for PrC requisites.

Spot the openings is a little powerful in my mind, I'd remove the threat doubling but keep the touch attack.

Eagle Eyes: HOLY ****! Are you kidding me? Woaaaah, give this guy Combat reflexes, and no-one can do anything without permission. A level 16 ability I don't know how to critique. I'd say it's okay, but I'd wait for someone else's opinion too.

Suprise Shot seems pretty standard fare.

Arrow of the Seeker is probably a terrifyingly dangerous ability, and this is likely the only thing that Deadly Range applies to specifically from this class. I'd watch this, as stacking things onto crits can be pretty easy.

Black Arrow: Is there a /day limit on this? It looks like it just gives permission to craft a slaying arrow.

King of the Volley: Personally, I like this one, a neat capstone that isn't too OP or underwhelming given the class. If I were to change it though, I'd make it an option list. e.g.
King of the Range: Choose one of the following abilities:
King of the Volley: Three times per day the Marksman may double the number of ranged attacks he can make in a round. additionally, Volley now works with Rapid Shot.
King's Pin: The Marksman may perform combat maneuvers(such as disarm or trip) with an Eagle Eye Attack of Opportunity. Combat maneuvers done in this way use the Marksman's Int bonus in place of his Dex bonus.
There are probably other awesome options to go here, but the idea is good.

Westhart
2017-08-22, 09:52 AM
I'll give it a go, as I love playing Archers.

Thanks! Here...We...Go. :smallbiggrin:

Hide in plain sight at level 2? I personally am not against that, but don't you think it's a little overpowered compared to when other classes get it? Straight up there is no downside to a Ranger taking a 2 level dip into this fighter, with the exception of decreased fort.

Moved it to 7th, still early but not as early as it was, like it there but now only get a bonus feat at 2nd...

Deadly Accuracy is something I've always loved. But I understand why it isn't in the base game. The frequency of Robin Hood rules however tells me that it's probably not too op

I think it'll be fine, especially in a world of casters :P

Hawk Eyes is a super powerful ability that I would restrict to projectile weapons(Bows, Crossbows, Sling) rather than everything. A level 5 Marksman would have a range increment of 70ft with a thrown dagger, for a maximum range of 350ft. which is a little crazy for a level 5 character with a thrown weapon.

Man... there goes my unseen thrower build XD still works for thrown but range is greatly decreased (1/2 level*5' min 5')

Volley should probably carry a small additional penalty. Is it full BAB for each attack? Same as the bottom? same as the last -2? I would personally look into something like "When making a full attack, a marksman may make an additional ranged attack at the same BAB as each of his iterative attacks. e.g. +6/+1/+1 at 6th level, +11/+6/+6/+1/+1 at 11th level and so on. This ability does not stack with Rapid Shot."

Fixed.

Uncanny dodge :)

Wind looks like it'd be fun. Could be super powerful but would be rare enough to not be too imposing on a game as far as I know.

Main use is to stop casters from using a simple wind wall to basically neutralize the archer.

Mettle talks about Infiltrators, and even if you swapped it to Marksman I don't see the real need of this one.

o.0 ... ... hehehe, removed.

No Opening would be a godsend in 3.5. Pathfinder has Snap Shot, but incorporating that into a class isn't a terrible idea.

No problem with Deadly Range, except maybe that it'd take a long time to get to, and this class doesn't have any abilities it works on from what I can tell.

At the least it is an effective +1 if you take any ranged feats (point blank shot), but gets better with multiclassing... maybe move it down in level?

Shot on the run for free. Perhaps it would be best to call it what it is, that way it could be used for PrC requisites.

added that somewhat and it is the pounce of ranged attacks, which is better then the feat.

Spot the openings is a little powerful in my mind, I'd remove the threat doubling but keep the touch attack.

fixed

Eagle Eyes: HOLY ****! Are you kidding me? Woaaaah, give this guy Combat reflexes, and no-one can do anything without permission. A level 16 ability I don't know how to critique. I'd say it's okay, but I'd wait for someone else's opinion too.

glad you like it, just wait until you get in a tripper character to begin the fun:smallbiggrin:

Suprise Shot seems pretty standard fare.

Arrow of the Seeker is probably a terrifyingly dangerous ability, and this is likely the only thing that Deadly Range applies to specifically from this class. I'd watch this, as stacking things onto crits can be pretty easy.

That bad at 1/day?

Black Arrow: Is there a /day limit on this? It looks like it just gives permission to craft a slaying arrow.

stole it from arcane archer, nt sure I like it so much though...

King of the Volley: Personally, I like this one, a neat capstone that isn't too OP or underwhelming given the class. If I were to change it though, I'd make it an option list. e.g.
King of the Range: Choose one of the following abilities:
King of the Volley: Three times per day the Marksman may double the number of ranged attacks he can make in a round. additionally, Volley now works with Rapid Shot.
King's Pin: The Marksman may perform combat maneuvers(such as disarm or trip) with an Eagle Eye Attack of Opportunity. Combat maneuvers done in this way use the Marksman's Int bonus in place of his Dex bonus.
There are probably other awesome options to go here, but the idea is good.
ooo, love thes and am going to incoporate