PDA

View Full Version : Trying to make a fighter in pathfinder based on a dark souls 3 run I did.

Reprimand
2017-08-14, 03:30 PM
First off obviously this isn't going to translate 100% into pathfinder rules but essentially I'm trying to make a fighter that is close to this concept as possible. I don't care about optimization but I also don't want to be told immediately "No don't play a fighter play martial class B-525 instead!" Optimization isn't the goal, making an idea playable is.

In dark souls 3 there is something called a sl1 playthrough or playing the entire game beating all bosses remaining at level 1 using only the equipment available to you via your stats or using rings to use more things.

The last run I did was using mixed fallen knight/knight set grass crest shield, tears of denial (a divine spell that leaves you at 1 hp rather than dying outright), and a dragonslayer axe (creighton the wanderer's axe).

Traits of this build: 30ft per round movement, Dodging/movment options, Moving quickly in armor, having access to but not specializing in shields, 2 handing a one handed weapon (an axe), access to buffs (I can use UMD for this because even in the run I don't technically have the stats to cast those spells and I have to do a bunch of ring swapping to cast spells), unshakable determination to keep going no matter what.

This article probably sums up the character best (this link goes to tvtropes so be careful!)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Determinator

Unbreakable archetype is really close to this but is there a normal movement feat for heavy armor? or a dip I can take?

Snowbluff
2017-08-14, 03:44 PM
Optimization isn't the goal, making an idea playable is.

Great, then don't play fighter.

Anyway, I think warpriest would work better here, since you were actually using a miracle. Get some armor, some protection blessings. Or do a Luck Domain/Blessing Temple Champion. These will give you the little bit of spell base power to replicate the miracle.

Though the miracle you are using reminds me of the rogue's defensive roll. Or maybe a Monk.

Geddy2112
2017-08-14, 03:56 PM
For wielding a 2 handed weapon 1 handed, you either need 2 levels in titan mauler barbarian, 3 in phalanx fighter(using a polearm/spear+shield) or import monkey grip from 3.5

You can use a rage power to increase your speed, as the titan mauler trades out fast movement. A dip into nilla barbarian will get you fast movement. If you stay in fighter till level 7 you can move your normal speed in heavy armor. There are plenty of rage powers to reflect dodging options, SLA's and other buffs like immunity to fear. There is the spring attack tree to represent the dodging/moving nature of combat in dark souls.

Psyren
2017-08-14, 04:46 PM
Most of the stuff you list is just part of being a Fighter in PF.

1) 2-handing 1H weapons - Everyone gets this
2) Shield proficiency - Fighter gets this
3) Full speed in heavy armor - Fighter gets this automatically (at 7th level)
4) Dodging and movement - this is basically AC. If you want to actually shift to a different square when things swing at you, try taking Sidestep and Improved Sidestep.
5) Magic items - take Master Craftsman. I'm not sure if there are items that mimic the specific functions you want (like those Tears) but there are definitely ones that will make you harder to kill.

OldTrees1
2017-08-14, 05:02 PM
1) You want this to be a Pathfinder Fighter. "Use a different class" replies are unhelpful.

2) You want to use a One-Handed Axe so you can switch between TwoHanded and Shielded combat.

3) You want some kind of instantaneous dodging.

Being familiar with Darksouls I checked up on the axe in question (http://darksouls3.wikidot.com/equipmentgroup:dragonslayer-s-axe). Luckily it has a standard moveset and the weaponart is merely a damage buff. So we can easily use a Battleaxe (or Handaxe if required by feats) to create the same weapon style. If the split damage was important to the character concept then that can easily be handled by weapon enhancements.

The combat style of TwoHanded Fighter with a backup Shield is also a fairly standard combat style (TwoHanded Fighter). So that part is easy. You just make a Greatsword Fighter, switch to a Battleaxe, and buy a Shield (so you remain ready for wielding your Axe with both your hands).

The hard part will be the instantaneous dodging. In 3.5 I would recommend Robilar's Gambit + Combat Reflexes + Evasive Reflexes. However I don't know what options Pathfinder has to mimic that combo at lower levels or to improve on that combo.

Mordaedil
2017-08-15, 02:15 AM
A frenzied berserker has the ability to stay alive after being dropped into negative hit points while raging, and you can multiclass into it after being a fighter, but it's not a spell and not a pathfinder thing.