PDA

View Full Version : Blind date help...

Cryopyre
2007-08-10, 12:06 AM
I just got connected with a girl via one of my friends, when told this I was too stunned to think of anything but "Ummm, okay." Because of that response I've now ok'd that I'll date this girl tomorrow.

Personally, I have no desire to hook up with someone right now, so is there a way for me to politely but firmly turn down this date?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

LotharBot
2007-08-10, 12:08 AM
Call whoever set you up, and just tell them you're not really looking for dates right now and that you should've said so sooner but you weren't thinking clearly.

No sense in delaying while trying to figure out the perfect line to use. Just call and cancel.

Cryopyre
2007-08-10, 12:11 AM
I would... but too late

In fact, I would've told him over the phone, but again, my luck... the phone died.

So I need something to say on the actual day, which is tomorrow.

It was a late notice for a date.

Beaudoin
2007-08-10, 12:13 AM
Then say something like "I'm not looking for any kind commitment/hookup/what-have-you" at the beginning of the date. Dancing around the issue only leads to bigger problems.

Amotis
2007-08-10, 01:12 AM
Basically. Just explain the situation, tell the person the mistake being made, and just explain the circumstance in as much detail as you told us, maybe more. Then at least owe it to her to treat her out or something, at least have some fun. If she wants to. If she wants the date to end there simply let it go. But if she doesn't mind at least treat her to a nice meal or something to say you're sorry for not saying something earlier. It really is kinda your fault and you have to at least apologize.

Zeb The Troll
2007-08-10, 01:37 AM
I say have fun with it. Yes, be up front that you're not looking to get involved right now but then follow it up with "but since we're here let's make the most of it". That removes the 'date' pressure but still allows you to have a good time. You never know, it might be worth your while. Unless you're already seeing someone, but then I think your friend wouldn't have set this up if that were the case. But that's just me.

The Prince of Cats
2007-08-10, 03:44 AM
Not every date has to be a 'date' date. Sometimes, it can be fun to just go out and do something with a total stranger. As long as you are honest that you are not really after a relationship, an admission which should not be left for the end, there is no reason to cancel.

Who knows, you might even hit it off. It is possible to have a friend of the opposite sex, after all...

Archonic Energy
2007-08-10, 07:03 AM
you could turn up with a guide dog...
or a white cane...
or a chainsaw, that one will scare off most people!

Yeril
2007-08-10, 07:29 AM
you could turn up with a guide dog...
or a white cane...
or a chainsaw, that one will scare off most people!

Seconded :smallsmile:

Zherog
2007-08-10, 08:18 AM
I agree with Zeb. Have a good time, be candid that you aren't looking for any kind of relationship, and go with the flow.

Thes Hunter
2007-08-10, 08:44 AM
He's 15, this whole meal buying, see where it goes thing, is a little out of scope. :smalltongue:

So, OP, here is my advise, like everyone else be candid. Then view the meeting as hanging out with a potential new friend. Buy her some icecream or a movie or something, nothing major. (Though with the prices of movies these days, 2 movie tickets is kinda major, and Cold Stone ain't much better :smallsmile: )

But yeah, explain it to her, so she doesn't get silly thoughts into her head as to why the date didn't go well. (Us women are like that, if a date doesn't go well, we tend to think that maybe we were too ugly or fat, or just said too stupid of things)

And just view it like hanging out with your mates, but with less fart jokes.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-11, 12:20 PM
You could go out and just have some fun, after you tell her how u feel.

But, you know, if we like someone, most times we don't feel like falling in love before meeting them. It's something that happens suddenly and unintentionally(i hope this is a word and i spelled it right).
So, she may be the girl of your dreams :smallamused: who knows?
just have fun
with my blessings and sneak attacks,
go son. go.

Zherog
2007-08-11, 03:16 PM
unintentionally(i hope this is a word and i spelled it right).

Yes to both. :smallwink:

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-11, 03:22 PM
where's my cookie then?:smallconfused:

PlatinumJester
2007-08-11, 04:05 PM
Sorry to disapoint you but I ate your cookie.

Beaudoin
2007-08-11, 04:18 PM
And just view it like hanging out with your mates, but with less fart jokes.

If people can't appreciate the subtle wit of my wonderful fart jokes, then I don't want to be their mate.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-11, 05:20 PM
I think they don't want either

Zherog
2007-08-11, 07:00 PM
where's my cookie then?:smallconfused:

http://forums.gleemax.com/images/smilies/cookie.gif

Hope you don't mind, I took a bite. It smelled too good to resist...

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-11, 07:13 PM
STOP EATING MY COOKIE!!!! MEAN, MEAN PEOPLE :smallfurious:

Cyrano
2007-08-11, 09:14 PM
Your very moniker is built around theft! How can you complain?

Vuzzmop
2007-08-11, 09:40 PM
Go on the date and have fun. Make it clear that you aren't looking for a commitment, and leave it at that. Face it, you'll have far more fun going out than if you stayed at home, right? Go, meet someone new, it's not like they're going to propose or anything.

DraPrime
2007-08-11, 09:48 PM
If people can't appreciate the subtle wit of my wonderful fart jokes, then I don't want to be their mate.

That just got sigged.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-12, 03:05 PM
Your very moniker is built around theft! How can you complain?

English is not my native language, so: moniker= ?

If you are referring to my nick, well a rogue and a thief are not always the same.

plus, they didn't give me my cookie in the first place, I never had it, so noone stole it. They just ate it.