PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What exactly are you doing when you roll a disguise check?

Zhentarim
2017-08-15, 12:18 AM
I have a pitborn tiefling paladin who is going was born and raised in a world that executes teiflings merely for being teiflings. I have claws, a wolf mouth, and a tail, and bright red skin. I figure I can roll disguise to pass for human and wear a burka, basically...but what am I rolling for with disguise?

Luccan
2017-08-15, 12:32 AM
Do you mean, what does the disguise check actually involve your character doing/wearing? If so... Make-up around the eyes in order to hide your bright red skin tone. How your character walks that hides their tail or maybe how well they tie it close to their body that doesn't look suspicious. How well you can manipulate the cloth covering your face in order to disguise the fact that you have an inhuman jaw structure.

Edit: And how well your character does all this without getting noticed. In some cultures, completely covering your body is seen as normal, but in others, this would be viewed as odd. Given just existing would get your character executed, that disguise check may cover dressing oddly for the region, yet people barely sparing a second glance at you.

MesiDoomstalker
2017-08-15, 01:11 AM
Edit: And how well your character does all this without getting noticed. In some cultures, completely covering your body is seen as normal, but in others, this would be viewed as odd. Given just existing would get your character executed, that disguise check may cover dressing oddly for the region, yet people barely sparing a second glance at you.

Basically this. Think of the weirdos that prowl the streets of NYC. Noticed by every tourist but locals pay them no mind.

Darth Ultron
2017-08-15, 06:59 AM
I have a pitborn tiefling paladin who is going was born and raised in a world that executes teiflings merely for being teiflings. I have claws, a wolf mouth, and a tail, and bright red skin. I figure I can roll disguise to pass for human and wear a burka, basically...but what am I rolling for with disguise?

In general, you really only need to 'roll for disguise' if someone is using an opposing 'spot roll' or 'sense motive roll' to notice something about you.

If you assume a 'normal' setting, plenty of people ''cover up a lot'' in clothing....so this is normal and not overly noticed.

Disguise, as a charisma skill is a lot of acting/role playing. In your character's case may more just 'trying not to be noticed' or 'easy to forget'. And it's one thing to just toss on a burka....but it's another thing to not act like a 'pitborn tiefling paladin' wearing a burka.

Psyren
2017-08-15, 08:58 AM
You don't roll for disguise at all - the GM does for you, once, when you create your disguise. You are never sure just how good it is.

You also don't roll Disguise in response to people's Spot checks - rather, the GM rolls that every time it comes up, and compares it to your original roll.

Zhentarim
2017-08-15, 09:00 PM
Can a tiefling paladin use bluff and disguise without falling? My paladin was born in the area that outlawed tieflings, but paladins of sarenrae are loved and adored. Is there an "honorable" way to conceal one's race?

Drakevarg
2017-08-15, 10:03 PM
Can a tiefling paladin use bluff and disguise without falling? My paladin was born in the area that outlawed tieflings, but paladins of sarenrae are loved and adored. Is there an "honorable" way to conceal one's race?

Full plate with closed helm? As for the falling thing, I think any DM who would make a paladin fall for not allowing himself to be lynched is being unreasonably strict.

Ninjaxenomorph
2017-08-16, 06:06 PM
Spring for a Hat of Disguise as soon as possible. As for the paladin thing, yeah, unless your code is literally 'never lie', not getting yourself executed for existing shouldn't make you fall. Out of curiosity, since you mentioned Sarenrae, I take it you are in Golarion; what area is it that executes tieflings on sight?

Zhentarim
2017-08-16, 06:50 PM
Spring for a Hat of Disguise as soon as possible. As for the paladin thing, yeah, unless your code is literally 'never lie', not getting yourself executed for existing shouldn't make you fall. Out of curiosity, since you mentioned Sarenrae, I take it you are in Golarion; what area is it that executes tieflings on sight?

Terah. It is a homebrew island in Golorion.

Crake
2017-08-17, 01:42 AM
You don't roll for disguise at all - the GM does for you, once, when you create your disguise. You are never sure just how good it is.

You also don't roll Disguise in response to people's Spot checks - rather, the GM rolls that every time it comes up, and compares it to your original roll.

There are disguise checks for your appearance, and then there are disguise checks for acting in character. If you're disguised as someone well known by the observers, and they expect you to act, or talk a certain way, you need to roll both, otherwise it's just the former, to avoid people seeing the "seams" in your disguise, so to speak.