PDA

View Full Version : Warlock variation idea: Making Patrons only offer spell lists

Regulas
2017-08-15, 03:56 PM
So I was wondering what people's thoughts were that I had on a Warlock variation concept:

- Patron's only provide a spell list.
- At levels 1/6/10/14 you gain one additional invocation.
- Current Patron abilities are turned into level binded invocations,

-----------------

In the case of similar abilities they would be merged into a standardized version (since someone would just always take the better one).

I've always been unsatisfied with how clunky and awkward Warlock design seems to be, and one of the issues is the need to always compete between what you get. Most especially though I find that I tend to pick a patron for very narrow reasons, requiring that I sacrificially take on abilities I don't want in exchange for what I do... on a class that's already so cluttered with other competing values even before accounting for Patron.

The suggested variant would both emphasis the warlocks "mix and match" design while also allowing you to solve a lot of problems warlock has, by letting you focus on the abilities you do want and giving better control on your build, all while "technically" not increasing the classes power.

-----------------------