PDA

View Full Version : What is the best introduction to D&D 5e module (official or 3rd party)

8wGremlin
2017-08-15, 04:14 PM
TL/DR: What in you opinion is the best introduction to D&D 5e module (official or 3rd party)
and Why?

I'm starting a new group of completely new to RPG, and wanted them to have a good first time.
They are a mix of people in the I.T. industry from 20 to 50 years old, male and female, senior management to office junior.
So what do you think is the best module to start with, and why.

Ventruenox
2017-08-15, 04:25 PM
Mines of Phandelver is written precisely for this purpose, one reason it is included in the starter set.

Kane0
2017-08-15, 04:33 PM
Yep, thats what Lost Mines of Phandelver is for. You could also check the DMguild for some good intro adventures, plus quite a few classics like Keep on the Borderlands have probably been converted.

8wGremlin
2017-08-15, 06:09 PM
Mines of Phandelver is written precisely for this purpose, one reason it is included in the starter set.

But is it good... is it actually enjoyable, does it show off what D&D is good at?

Ventruenox
2017-08-15, 06:24 PM
It is a well composed adventure that provides opportunities for creative problem solving or just a straightforward hack and slash if that is what your group wants. Your performance as a DM and the player group dynamic will determine the level of enjoyment and whether or not it is "good."

Kane0
2017-08-15, 06:35 PM
It largely depends on the DM. It can be a straight hack and slash dungeon crawl (theres one for each level) or it can be an immersive action/exploration tale and everything inbetween.
I just finished DMing and there was a good mix between combat and RP. One dungeon was 90% bypassed thanks to smart thinking and quick talking and at least half of the NPCs that were marked as 'interactable' were dealt with without resorting to violence.

8wGremlin
2017-08-15, 06:57 PM
Thank you all, looks like they are heading to the mines then.

Nod_Hero
2017-08-15, 11:03 PM
We started 5E with Lost Mines and to date that is still our favorite group of characters. An even halfway-competent DM can make it a memorable experience.

Having played off and on since '79, I'd have to rate Lost Mines as my second favorite 'starter' scenario of all the ones I've played.

Kane0
2017-08-15, 11:04 PM
Which begs the question, what's your top one?

Nod_Hero
2017-08-16, 01:34 AM
Which begs the question, what's your top one?

If we're talking D&D only, my heart has an incurable fondness of good ole B2: Keep on the Borderlands. (My very first RPG character ever was a hobbit named Bagbo Bilbins who died outside of room #17...)

If we're talking any system, then it's Truckin Turtles. (Every once in a while I'll run across an old friend from that group and we'll fondly reminisce about my 'Super Chicken' character...)