PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing A Dwarven Tripper.

emoryss1
2017-08-15, 05:32 PM
Hi all!
For an upcoming campaign I have decided to create a Dwarven Fighter 1 that focuses on using a spiked chain to trip. Now that being said, my stats are:

STR - 18
DEX - 17
CON - 18
INT - 15
WIS - 15
CHA - 13 (Good Rolls :smallbiggrin:)

The feats I have taken already are:
- EWP (Spiked Chain)
- Combat Expertise
- Improved Trip
- Combat Reflexes

I'm looking to go into Exotic Weapon Master for at least one level to get flurry of strikes. But besides that, what items / classes should I get to improve my tripping.
Thanks!

theboss
2017-08-15, 05:50 PM
The feats I have taken already are:
- EWP (Spiked Chain)
- Combat Expertise
- Improved Trip
- Combat Reflexes

How do you have 4 feats at level 1? If you are a dwarf and 1st level fighter you should have 2.

I'm looking to go into Exotic Weapon Master for at least one level to get flurry of strikes. But besides that, what items / classes should I get to improve my tripping.
Thanks!

Exotic weapon master has very nice things (took 3 levels dip in him :) . Such as : Uncany blow : gets twice strength bonus to damage (if you have two handed weapon, if you have 2 weapons in each hand then 1/1.5 in each hand!!!). Flurry of strikes is nice as well and there's twin exotic weapon fighting which gives you the TWF feat without meeting the prerequisite (altough you dont have too consider your insane rolls).

I suggest picking up Knock-Down feat which gives you free trip attemp as long as you deal 10 or more damage per strike.
Usually trip build goes very well with TWF because of the double hit feat which gives you 2 attacks in each AoO (the off hand attack doesnt consider an AoO for the purpose of limiting your AoO per round).
So I suggest go for 2 levels in Exotic weapon master to get Uncany Blow and Twin exotic weapon fighting, afterwards, get gloves of the balanced hand which gives you ITWF .

well that's it so far... Good Luck

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-08-15, 06:11 PM
Consider using Earth Dwarf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#racesOfEarth), it's generally better for a physical combatant.

Eventually you'll want to gain large size, the easiest route is to hire an NPC spellcaster for Enlarge Person + Permanency. Ideally they'll be a 20th level caster with a Ring of Enduring Arcana for a DC 35 to dispel either of those. The standard rate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell) at caster level 20th would be 3,700 gp, or at caster level 9th (minimum) it would be 3,040 gp, so the extra 660 gp for +11 to the dispel DC is well worth it.

I would use the Dungeoncrasher variant for Fighter, the Zhentarim Soldier (archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) substitution levels (taught by a former Zhentarim enforcer, or just reflavored to a bully archetype), and of course always get the Dead Levels (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20061013a) class features. Once you're large size you can get Knock-Back in Races of Stone, so every hit you can get Dungeoncrasher damage if they're knocked into a solid obstacle. With Zhentarim Soldier you'll want Cha 15+ to get Imperious Command from Drow of the Underdark, and the Never Outnumbered skill trick. You'll also want to pick up Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown) at some point.

The overall build really depends on what level you reasonably expect to reach. If you know you'll get to 20th and beyond, I would go Fighter 9/ Warblade 10/ Fighter 1, which gets all the above Fighter features and even allows you to take Weapon Supremacy in PH2 with your Fighter 10 bonus feat. Regardless of what level you'll reach, I strongly recommend at least dipping Warblade for Iron Heart Surge and some other useful abilities. You don't need Exotic Weapon Master if you get the Mongoose boosts from Warblade anyway.

Ivanhoe
2017-08-15, 06:57 PM
The tome of battle is full of maneuvers and stances that improve your trip modifier.
You can get those by spending feats or (better way) to dip for one or two levels in one of the ToB classes (like swordsage).

Potion of good hope gives +2 to ability checks (among other things), stone of good luck +1 (but the latter at 20,000gp quite expensive and only for the higher levels). (edit: they stack quite well as morale and luck bonuses)

emoryss1
2017-08-16, 12:29 PM
How do you have 4 feats at level 1? If you are a dwarf and 1st level fighter you should have 2.
I got the 2 feats from using the player flaw rules. As for the Exotic Weapon Master, I'll dip into one or two levels for uncanny blow and flurry of strikes, and Knock-Down looks amazing!

Thank you for the suggestion of enlarging through Permanency, and the Earth Dwarf looks interesting.

As for Tome of Battle, I've never played with it before, but I'll look into using it.
Thanks!