PDA

View Full Version : Where do I go next in this game?

Sajiri
2017-08-15, 06:36 PM
Okay, so I've been agonizing over this for the last few days (well, actually a lot longer since I was aware this would be coming up eventually), but in one of the solo player campaigns Im in, after 54 sessions we've finally reached the end of 'chapter 1'. There were a lot of amazing reveals and lore bombs dropped on me, and now the DM is presenting me with a selection of new places/adventures to go to (we have a shared setting we've created with multiple continents/countries) that it sounds Im supposed to choose in the next session...but I can't decide which! This campaign is set up in a way that it can kind of go for as long as we want it, I can technically go do all of them eventually, but it sounds like each 'chapter' will be as long as the first one which took us two years to reach this point (although there were many breaks along the way to do other campaigns).

This may be a bit long, I don't normally go and ask a forum on what choice I should make in a game but I'll admit I've been stressing over it because all of the choices sound so interesting. A bit of background and summary of the game so far.

The coven is sort of like the church and government in many locations of this setting. 'Monstrous' races interact quite freely with humans and are much more human-like (but often more tribal) than what you would expect (setting-plot reasons that arent that important right now). I made a girl with a very simple background, this campaign was originally meant to be pretty casual and light hearted and to revolve around her joining the coven as an apprentice and going on her pilgrimage around the continent she was sent to. I made her an orphan and a strange halfbreed (gandharva (rare type of harpy) x wolfman) and brought up in a coven-run orphanage since infancy, which is her motivation for wanting to join as an apprentice. She was sent to the continent of Llumala, where she began the pilgrimage, and the DM started turning it from a lighthearted casual rp, to something with some much darker twists and secrets. Along the way, she's discovered she is..
1. The reincarnation of a powerful witch who was travelling around doing, something. (Reincarnation is not something that normally happens in this setting)
2. Has some of the same powers as said witch, such as the ability to seal and merge with yokai, and she has met and joined up with one of her predecessor's tsuchigumo yokai who is particularly evil but helps her out.
3. There's some very strange technology and locations and monsters throughout this region, that seems to relate to some extinct race called the Stewards, that she is somehow able to affect

In the last session, it was revealed that her predecessor died trying to seal some great evil (hasnt been revealed what that evil was yet though), and she seemingly set it up that she would be reincarnated as the child of two of her companions (who it sounds could still be alive, and that she may have actually been kidnapped from them as an infant by the coven). She is somehow, technically a Steward, as it turns out the harpyxwolf hybrid is very important, and very similar to the Steward race, which is why she's able to affect their technology. This makes many people nervous about her existence. The witch she reincarnated from, was also the reincarnation of someone who sounded to be quite evil called Suzume. It also seems, her predecessor had left a fragment of her soul here as a backup incase my character turned out bad, but since she's quite good (although a rather pathetic witch), she's absorbed that fragment and gained some new powers (fire and ice).

Now, the choices I have for where to go from here.

1. Remain in Llumala, continue learning what is going on here, and I would assume culminate with finding out about what this great evil is. Would learn about the Stewards and why harpyxwolf crossbreeds are so similar. Makes a lot of sense to continue this way, but the NPC that made all these revelations suggests I go somewhere else to learn and get more powerful first (OOC DM has told me I only really would need one other area then I could be strong enough to handle this place 'as intended')

2. Margareth. This is where she was brought up, and likely the location of her father. I will get to learn more about my own character here. At this point I may choose for her to leave the coven, and the DM has admitted this place will be very different depending on whether I stay in the coven or leave. He's also admitted he's probably the least prepared for this place. I would assume she'd probably be able to learn some ice stuff since it comes from that side of her heritage.

3. Dunain. Arabian Nights adventure + underdark. Likely location of her mother. Two npc companions could have subplots here. I think the DM said there are some types of magic to learn here but I forget what. I would assume fire magic for here, since that comes from her mother's side.

4. The Academy. Received an invation to come to the academy by an npc. It would basically be a Harry Potter adventure and gives an opportunity to advance magic without being in the coven. Another npc companion can have a subplot here.

5. Wildlands. Birthplace of her predecessor where I could learn all about her.

6. Nakatsukuni. Basically fantasy asia-land. Birthplace of Suzume where I could learn about her. Could learn about yokai magic and probably learn onmyoji magic, another way for her to advance without being in the coven. Also the origin of the race that the Stewards decended from so can learn about that. The npc yokai companion could have a subplot here.

7. Terania? Kind of a cameo region since it's the setting for another game we once did, and sounds like it would be a short visit rather than a full chapter. Not actually sure what would happen here but the DM has hinted there are secrets.

Apparently there's another location that could be revealed as a secret one depending on where I go and what I discover. I think this is dependant on going to The Academy, Terania and maybe Nakatsukuni (I forget exactly where he said).

So those are my choices. Personally I'm most interested in Nakatsukuni, as I've never been in a campaign in a setting like that, and I'm quite interested in the idea of onmyoji magic, plus the companion subplot is for my favourite npc in this campaign. I feel like my character though would most likely want to go to Margareth or Dunain to find parents. The academy Im unsure about, as it will likely depend on talking to the npc one more time who invited her (its a very complicated situation right now). Wildlands I didn't even realise would be an option at first, but it sounds interesting, there'd be motivation to learn about the predecessor. Terania, again I didnt realise would be an option. Only real motivation to go there would be that it's short, but Im not sure why my character would. I'm curious what other people would choose if they were in this situation.

Also, as an addition since I've talked about learning types of magic. This is a homebrew setting, and its very roleplay focused rather than dice. The types of magic are more personal preference rather than 'well this is going to be stronger than that so it's a better choice'

Herobizkit
2017-08-16, 05:08 AM
Personally I'm most interested in Nakatsukuni...

You've answered your own question. ^_^

Also, 54 sessions and you're only on Chapter 2? How long are your sessions? Are you trying to simulate the 'Shogun' novel/mini-series? :D

Sajiri
2017-08-16, 05:25 AM
You've answered your own question. ^_^

Also, 54 sessions and you're only on Chapter 2? How long are your sessions? Are you trying to simulate the 'Shogun' novel/mini-series? :D

We're just calling it chapters to seperate the adventures :p Well actually the DM calls the new adventures 'expansions' like a video game. Sessions can be anywhere from 2 hours to 6+

Our longest campaign which is still unfinished is at 213 sessions and is only in part...2? I think?