PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Good high-Dex enemies?

polymphus
2017-08-15, 09:18 PM
Hey all,

I've been having a problem balancing encounters for my players, in that they have a lot of lockdown options. Anything without good Dex or with just plain bad luck will spend the entire encounter prone as they endlessly slam it with Grease/Sleet Storm/Ballbearings etc.

I worry it's just not fun for them -- knock everything down, then wail on it while it's prone. Every enemy becomes the same: "thing on its back that doesn't get to attack".

What sort of enemies can I introduce that will keep gameplay fresh without feeling like I'm punishing them?

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-08-15, 10:33 PM
Depends on the challenge rating.

Goblins, Barlgura, Chasme, Shadow Demons, Erinyes, Horned Devils, Ice Devils, Quicklings, etc.

greenstone
2017-08-15, 10:44 PM
First, ranged attackers. If the PCs can't get within a hundred feet of it then they can't knock it prone. Archers are also good at disrupting concentration. For extra fun, give the archers crossbows and have them deliberately lie prone to fire (warning, house ruling may be required, expect table variation).

Second, flying attackers (which includes incorporeal undead).

Or an attacker who does both… BEHOLDERS mouahahahahaha!

Combine these two with some bruisers on the front line who don't actually care about being knocked prone, to hold the PCs attention while the archers deal the damage.

Large numbers also works. If the PCs are up against four hobgoblins frontliners, six wolf skirmishers, ten goblin archers, and a couple of goblin shamans, then they can't knock all of them prone.

Enemy spellcasters make an encounter much more dangerous. Cast grease? Watch the enemy caster dispel it. Or cast bless on its allies. Or bane on you. Or, of course, grease where you are standing. Maybe the spellcaster just uses fog cloud or darkness. If you can't see the ground, you can't cast entangle on it. And remember, a prone spellcaster can still fireball with no trouble.

Special mention must go to monsters who don't care about prone. Slimes and jellies are fun. Plus, if you use lollies on the battlemat then players can eat them when characters defeat monsters. :-)

A warning: If the players are coming up with good tactics, then make sure those tactics work often. Cleverness should be rewarded.

As an aside, why isn't a flying sword (MM p20) immune to the prone condition?

mephnick
2017-08-15, 11:08 PM
First, ranged attackers. If the PCs can't get within a hundred feet of it then they can't knock it prone.

I agree with this. People ignore range and encounter distance far too much. If you're fighting on on open plain, hostile encounters are supposed to start at 250ft! 150ft in hills! Do you know how many ranged attacks that is while the archers' allies move into melee? Obviously that changes if the fight breaks out after a failed social encounter or something, but I've watched so many tables where every encounter starts at a distance of 20-50ft, no matter the circumstance. I had some new players to my table help a broken down caravan (trap) and were jumped by bandits. Ok, fine. Well I had more bandits start firing from the forest line 150ft away and the party lost their **** (in a panicky way) because they couldn't just run and hit them on the same turn and actually had to utilize cover/dodge and communicate. Some of these guys have been playing for a decade. Like..really? Not one DM in your life used..archers?

hymer
2017-08-16, 08:04 AM
As an aside, why isn't a flying sword (MM p20) immune to the prone condition?

My thinking there is that it is knocked/swatted to the ground, and there has much reduced mobility until it can get upright and airborne again.

Unoriginal
2017-08-16, 08:10 AM
What level are we talking about?

What others have said is right. You can also add the Drow, the NPCs statblocks for scout, archer, pirate and the like, Mephits, underwater opponents, and many others

Also, never forget that if a group can come up with a tactic, their enemies can also use it.

Easy_Lee
2017-08-16, 08:15 AM
Several elementals are immune to the prone condition. Sleet, grease, and ball bearings have no effect.

Specter
2017-08-16, 08:22 AM
Also anything with Misty Step/teleportation.

nickl_2000
2017-08-16, 08:37 AM
Maybe put them up against a group of NPCs riding Giant Goats (the Giant Goats get advantage on Dex or Str saves against being knocked prone)?