PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with a Sphinx

Silent Musician
2017-08-15, 10:48 PM
In a session I am doing, I have a Sphinx that is currently injured. The adventurers are wanting to use its injured status to get knowledge out of it that it knows since it has been in the world for a long time. Since hunters are after it, too, they believe this more of an incentive to make it talk. However, because it is so prideful, it will not accept the deal, even if it means getting killed.

Being the DM of this, what's a good way to allow them to make the Sphinx more cooperative that doesn't involve typical riddles? Some clever way they can unsurp it intellectually?

Esprit15
2017-08-15, 11:34 PM
If you don't want the sphinx to ask them riddles, maybe they could ask it one? Or maybe they have some new piece of knowledge?

Fable Wright
2017-08-16, 12:12 AM
The sphinx is prideful, and will not allow his knowledge to go to the unworthy; but nor does he want his knowledge to molder, unable to be used.

The solution is the riddle, but not in the traditional manner. The sphinx gives you cryptic hints that, when pieced together, are the answer. The sphinx is willing to die before he will give a straight answer, but he's too prideful to not help those who have traveled from long and far. Perhaps the sphinx will say that he does not remember something, or asks them to elaborate in increasingly exacting detail until the final answer he can give is "Yes. I remember this." After which he will say no more. The questions they wind up asking, and the tacit acknowledgement of the truth discerned from lies, are the answer they come in looking for.

Chugger
2017-08-16, 01:22 AM
A couple of Egyptologists were in the desert discussing antiquities, and one of them told how Napoleon's soldiers had shot off the nose of a famous statue.

"It has no nose?" the other said. "How does it smell?"

"Smell," his comrade replied, "it Sphinx!"

.................................................. ..that is how you deal with them.......................

Silent Musician
2017-08-16, 01:55 AM
If you don't want the sphinx to ask them riddles, maybe they could ask it one? Or maybe they have some new piece of knowledge?

Hm, I like that. Knowledge for knowledge.

The sphinx is prideful, and will not allow his knowledge to go to the unworthy; but nor does he want his knowledge to molder, unable to be used.

The solution is the riddle, but not in the traditional manner. The sphinx gives you cryptic hints that, when pieced together, are the answer. The sphinx is willing to die before he will give a straight answer, but he's too prideful to not help those who have traveled from long and far. Perhaps the sphinx will say that he does not remember something, or asks them to elaborate in increasingly exacting detail until the final answer he can give is "Yes. I remember this." After which he will say no more. The questions they wind up asking, and the tacit acknowledgement of the truth discerned from lies, are the answer they come in looking for.

So basically an arrogant way of making them answer without him willingly answering them. lol I like it.

A couple of Egyptologists were in the desert discussing antiquities, and one of them told how Napoleon's soldiers had shot off the nose of a famous statue.

"It has no nose?" the other said. "How does it smell?"

"Smell," his comrade replied, "it Sphinx!"

.................................................. ..that is how you deal with them.......................
Good show, old chap.