PDA

View Full Version : Tr...quick.. question

HolyDraconus
2017-08-15, 11:16 PM
So here's the question. By RAW.... can a wizard have a gazer familiar?

lunaticfringe
2017-08-15, 11:23 PM
Sure. You can't Bamf it in and out of existence its a creature and can die or just decide to leave if it doesn't like you. Fluff wise they a bastards so they probably won't stick around a nice person for very long, they are into bullies. You also have to convince them in the first place. I'm probably missing some other stuff too.

Oh yeah, Ask your DM.

Kane0
2017-08-15, 11:33 PM
Yeah, sure. There's precedent for it in previous editions too. (http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Eyeball_(familiar))

Note that there are a couple different interpretations on familiars, depending on DM. Some just have the familiar as a magic thing that takes the shape of a creature (and their stats), others have it as an actual creature summoned, and plenty inbetween.

SharkForce
2017-08-16, 12:16 AM
So here's the question. By RAW.... can a wizard have a gazer familiar?

step 1: choose anything else as a familiar.
step 2: true polymorph it into a rock. permanently.
step 3: true polymorph it into a gazer (provided the gazer is less than CR 9, which i'm pretty sure it is but i don't own that book to be able to actually look it up).

there you go, your familiar is now a gazer.

(whether or not it is still your familiar might be a little bit debatable though).

you can also get some help with that if you happen to simply know another person capable of casting true polymorph.