PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Kraken- A Warlock Patron [PEACH]

Potato_Priest
2017-08-16, 03:50 AM
This pact is, of course, for warlocks who make a pact with Krakens, which I thought was a noticeably absent option in the PHB. This is my first homebrew (although I've commented on a lot of it before), and I am open to suggested improvements.

Kraken Expanded Spells

Spell Level
Spells

1st
Create or Destroy Water, Fog Cloud

2nd
Alter Self, Gust of Wind

3rd
Water Breathing, Water Walk

4th
Control Water, Watery Sphere*

5th
Control Winds*, Maelstrom*

Nautical Lore
At 1st Level, your knowledge of the seas and their weather make you an expert sailor. You gain proficiency in Water vehicles and Navigator’s tools, and your proficiency bonus is doubled for any check you make involving your proficiency in either tool.
Additionally, you always know what tide it is.

Aquatic Adaption
At 6th Level, your patron grants you greater affinity for movement in the water. You gain a swimming speed equal to your walking speed, and can both breathe and talk normally underwater.

Deep Scion
At 10th level, your patron allows you to modify your body into that of a hideous aquatic creature, complete with tentacles, gill flaps, and fins. You can transform into your scion form by using an action, and remain in that form until you spend a bonus action to return to your normal form. While in scion form you gain the following benefits:
Your swimming speed increases by 10 feet.
Your eyes grow wider, adapting to the poorer lighting of the oceans. If you don’t already have Darkvision, you gain darkvision out to a range of 30 feet.
A slippery slime coats your body and you become more flexible, allowing you to spend 5 feet of movement to escape from nonmagical restraints such as being grappled, tied up, or put in manacles.

(I need a name for this feature)
At 14th level, your patron grants you control over the weather. You can cast Control Weather once without consuming a spell slot. You must finish a long rest before you can do so again.

JNAProductions
2017-08-16, 07:24 AM
Two things:

One, you should give advantage on escaping mundane restraints, but not auto success.

Two, Kraken's Thunder.

Potato_Priest
2017-08-16, 12:05 PM
Two things:

One, you should give advantage on escaping mundane restraints, but not auto success.

Two, Kraken's Thunder.

Fair enough. I was modelin that feature off the other lvl 10 warlock features (countercharm, whatever the GOO one is that gives you resistance to psychic damage and half damage back to the attacker). Do you think it would be fine to give advantage against magical restraints as well if I took out the auto-success?

Where do you suggest I insert a thunder-based feature? Lvl 1 is probably the easiest to replace.

ravencroft0
2017-08-18, 07:08 PM
I like your concept, but I think your patron could just as easily be any Big Bad Master of the Depths, as warlock patrons are set up to be interpreted as you wish. Though I suppose one could still do that with your patron in their own game.

I believe the "thunder" from the previous post is meant to be thematic rather than literal. That being said, why not have your ability inflict a massive amount of lightning and/or thunder damage?

Potato_Priest
2017-08-19, 06:07 PM
I like your concept, but I think your patron could just as easily be any Big Bad Master of the Depths, as warlock patrons are set up to be interpreted as you wish. Though I suppose one could still do that with your patron in their own game.

I believe the "thunder" from the previous post is meant to be thematic rather than literal. That being said, why not have your ability inflict a massive amount of lightning and/or thunder damage?

I did try to design it to be generally usable for oceanic beasties as patrons, but I had a little trouble coming up with a good name, so I used Kraken.

Kane0
2017-08-21, 12:39 AM
'Dweller of the Depths'

Better than 'Great Old One' at least.