PDA

View Full Version : Help with my hunter ranger/moon Druid build

Crimlock
2017-08-16, 09:14 AM
Hi! I am building my first character. We are startpunt at level 3. I know that i want to play a hunter Ranger multiclassed with levels of moon Druid. I want a character who fights with a long sword and also has abilitie to shape shift into animal forms. Not the most ideal synergie... but i like it anyway :-)

So now i have a lot of questions, i hope you can help me out! What are my best options in class choises and spells? Will i need a high wisdom for my spells? How will he perform in high levels? How many levels of Druid or ranger should i take and in what order? In was thinking 5 in ranger for the multiattack and then a few Druid... (i was thinking on high str and con stats, good wis and Dex and dump int en cha... is that wise? )

nickl_2000
2017-08-16, 09:20 AM
Hi! I am building my first character. We are startpunt at level 3. I know that i want to play a hunter Ranger multiclassed with levels of moon Druid. I want a character who fights with a long sword and also has abilitie to shape shift into animal forms. Not the most ideal synergie... but i like it anyway :-)

So now i have a lot of questions, i hope you can help me out! What are my best options in class choises and spells? Will i need a high wisdom for my spells? How will he perform in high levels? How many levels of Druid or ranger should i take and in what order? In was thinking 5 in ranger for the multiattack and then a few Druid... (i was thinking on high str and con stats, good wis and Dex and dump int en cha... is that wise? )

To be honest, Moon Druid doesn't synergize well with most multiclassing. If you are doing Moon Druid you are likely doing it for more powerful animal forms at earlier level, and if you are multiclassing you are doing it to help out the animal forms, the best way to do this is either Barbarian for rage and Constitution AC or Monk for Ki and Wisdom AC.

On the other hand, a Land Druid and a Ranger will work very well together. Land Druid still gives you Wild shaping for the purpose of scouting, faster movement, and infiltration, plus it gives you some pretty strong cantrips and great spells that should work well with a Ranger build. Frankly entangle with a Ranger's archery skills can be amazing.

Are you playing PhB Ranger or are you allowed Revised Ranger from UA? What Ranger conclave do you want? Do you want to be a spellcaster who can fight with a sword, or a melee fighter who can cast some spells?

rbstr
2017-08-16, 09:20 AM
I think reading this thread might help you?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?532813-Ranger-druid-advice-on-how-to-divide-levels-an-build-my-character

(It was your thread, asking the same things! You'll get the same answers here again!)

Aett_Thorn
2017-08-16, 09:24 AM
Well, you still have all of the suggestions from the original thread that you had on this:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?532813-Ranger-druid-advice-on-how-to-divide-levels-an-build-my-character&p=22275037#post22275037

I would also highly recommend that you talk to your DM to see if the Revised Ranger is allowed from Unearthed Arcana. It is significantly better than the base Ranger in the PHB.

That said, do you see this character as more of a spellcaster, or a melee combatant?

If the former, go no more than 5 Ranger for the multi-attack, and then focus on Druid for the rest.

If more of a melee combatant with the ability to wildshape a bit, then go no more than 2 Druid, and the rest Ranger for a while, maybe coming back to some Druid levels later for their level 2+ spells.

With this combo, you probably want to go Hunter Ranger, since you'll be multiclassing and that won't help the Beast Master much.

Crimlock
2017-08-16, 09:41 AM
You might think it strange, but i do remember my other thread ;-) i was hoping to flesh out that idea more in a new thread. I have a much better idea of what i want know, and i hope that in this new thread i get more specific suggestions like the great ones above :-) also I hope to hear more about spells, i really dont know what will be usefull :-(

I want a fighter with some spells. Land Druid is also ok, if moon Druid doesnt help :-) i want the wild shapes mainly for utility. The revisies ranger is fine, but I am not sure what to pick in regard to making the best use of the Druid synergie..

Sir cryosin
2017-08-16, 12:48 PM
Why not play a beast master Ranger and use your spells like animal friendship, beastbond, beast sense. To do the things you wanted to do in wild shape. While still using a long sword to attack with you also have a beast companion in Cambridge as well. Pick up magic initiative wizard grad green flame blade and find familiar.

Chugger
2017-08-16, 07:45 PM
Rogue and Hunter Ranger have what is called synergy. Why? Rogue gets sneak attack. Ranger hunter after a few lvls gets +1d8 and +1d6 from each shot against a marked wounded target. Something like that.

So the rogue can hide and get an advantaged longbow shot (if he picked Rogue first he's elf and has the racial prof. to use long bow).

That would be on a hit 1d8 (the arrow) plus Dex mod +3 plus sneak attack (it starts at 1d6 and goes up fast) plus 1d8 for the hunter feature plus 1d6 for hunter's mark. That's a lot of dice damage for a low level hit. A lot.

lunaticfringe
2017-08-16, 11:44 PM
Ranger 5/Land Druid 8, that's 13 levels to slog through. You can change the plan as you figure out what you like. Since you want to primarily be a swordsman focus on Ranger first. Warcaster would probably help here. If it were me I would go Coastal Druid, Misty Step & Mirror Image are Great + you always have Water Breathing/Walk & Freedom of Movement prepped. Not the most awesome spells but having them always on hand can solve a lot of problems.