PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Akashic Mysteries question - Multiple Essence Pools

thecrimsondawn
2017-08-16, 01:03 PM
If it was from two different classes, would your essence pool stack together such as how ki does, or would you keep them separate like spell casters?

Also, more importantly, and this is the primary reason I am making this thread, what happens if you are a single class and gain two sources of an essence pool? Currently I am using a Monk archetype that gives half my level in essence, but I have the option of picking up a rogue talent that also gives you an essence pool equal to half your level. Im sure this sort of confliction is covered in the base rules of Pathfinder somewhere, but before I go digging around, thought I would see if anyone knew off hand what would happen in this situation.

Ssalarn
2017-08-16, 01:10 PM
You have one essence pool that all class features, feats, etc. feed into. So if you're playing a Mysterial Monk multiclassed into Rogue and taking the Rogue talent that gives you an essence pool, you'd combine your total pool from both classes together. If you're playing a single class that gets an essence pool from two different sources through a combination of feats or class features, same deal, you add them together into a single pool.

thecrimsondawn
2017-08-16, 06:00 PM
You have one essence pool that all class features, feats, etc. feed into. So if you're playing a Mysterial Monk multiclassed into Rogue and taking the Rogue talent that gives you an essence pool, you'd combine your total pool from both classes together. If you're playing a single class that gets an essence pool from two different sources through a combination of feats or class features, same deal, you add them together into a single pool.

"You add them together into a single pool"
So by your wording, if I got a rogue talent that gave me a pool = 1/2 my class level, and my archetype gives me a pool = 1/2 my level, I would effectively have a double sized essence pool?

Ssalarn
2017-08-16, 06:04 PM
"You add them together into a single pool"
So by your wording, if I got a rogue talent that gave me a pool = 1/2 my class level, and my archetype gives me a pool = 1/2 my level, I would effectively have a double sized essence pool?

Assuming those things exist, yeah, you'd end up with an essence pool that went up by 2 every two levels when each source gave you a point of essence.

Which abilities are you combining here?

thecrimsondawn
2017-08-17, 01:28 AM
changeling monk with the akashic archetype using the FCB of changeling at lv 6 to gain a rogue talent that I have access to more veils shaped, or a second essence pool so to speak.

Ssalarn
2017-08-17, 12:55 PM
changeling monk with the akashic archetype using the FCB of changeling at lv 6 to gain a rogue talent that I have access to more veils shaped, or a second essence pool so to speak.

Gotchya. So that specific progression would mean you'd have 3 points of essence from the Mysterial archetype at 6 level, and then when you took the font of power Rogue Talent you'd get 2 more (FoP gives 1/3 essence, not 1/2), for a total essence pool of 5 at 6th level. Any akashic feats, race, etc. that give bonus essence would also add to that pool. At 7th level you'd get the ability to convert ki into temporary essence with Mystic Contemplation, at 8th level you'd gain another point from Mysterial progression, and at 9th you'd pick up another point from the Rogue talent.