PDA

View Full Version : How would you build these pictures as characters?

Rfkannen
2017-08-16, 06:43 PM
Howdy!

I see these two photosets on tumblr, and was wondering how you would build them all as characters!

http://soup-erb.tumblr.com/post/164258824662/more-dnd-dudes-click-here-for-part-1

http://lair-master.tumblr.com/post/164262568836/soup-erb-hope-this-works

Falcon X
2017-08-17, 03:26 PM
All of them? That's a pretty hefty order.

Racially, they all look like Changelings, though I'm going to assume that they are just an artistic rendition of Humans.

Wizards:
1. Looks like a Black Mage, and a pitiful one. Maybe a wannabe Harry Dresden.
- Human Evoker Wizard, Merchant Background. Low Con, Decent Dex.
2. Bathrobe and semi-military garb. Stout. Is the only caster for a city, loves his position, and is REALLY comfortable there.
- Dwarf Illusionist, Soldier Background. High Mental stats. Average Physical stats.
3. Muscle wizard. Doesn't need attack spells because he casts FIST!. Instead, he is an intellectual who reads the stars, as is represented on his wand and hat.
- Goliath Diviner, Hermit background. High all stats.

Clerics:
1. War domain, obviously. Possibly is using a fake body.
- Gnome War Domain Cleric of Heironeous. Soldier Background.
2. Could this be a Candle Caster from 3e? Maybe is a cult member of an archfiend of sloth. Maybe a cultist of Imix?

MxKit
2017-08-18, 01:59 AM
Just going with classes, not getting into races, and using Unearthed Arcana stuff...

WIZARDS
1. Seems to have a lot of items, potions, etc. I'd go with either School of Transmutation or an Artificer, personally. Maybe a Guild Merchant background.
2. TECHNOMANCER. Absolutely a Technomancer. Not sure about Background for this guy, though; I feel like Soldier or City Watch or Clan Crafter could all work.
3. Wizard/Barbarian multiclass, maybe? (Or Barbarian/Wizard, depending on how you wanted to balance it.) A Tribe Member background if he started out Barbarian and went Wizard, or a Sage background if vice-versa. A swole Abjurer with the Gladiator background could also be hilariously fitting.

CLERICS
1. Yeah, agreeing with Falcon X here, this one's absolutely a War Domain Cleric with a Soldier or City Watch background.
2. Potentially a Light Domain Cleric that lives in/brings light to dark places (even the Underdark!), or a Knowledge Domain Cleric who wanders his own huge library. Hermit or Sage background seems fitting.
3. I don't know why, but this one definitely feels like a Light Domain Cleric to me. Soldier or Acolyte Background.

RANGERS
1. ...Actually, I'm not sure about this one. Hunter or Deep Stalker Conclave, maybe? Sailor/Pirate background almost certainly. Look at that tattoo! Look at that near-cannon he's using!
2. This one's pretty unclear too, I think you could go with any subclass with this one so long as you give him a very sharpshooting-specific fighting style. I'm getting Soldier vibes from him, too.
3. Monster Slayer, definitely. Given how this one doesn't seem the most... uh... capable of normal social interaction, Hermit or Sage (with a speciality in the monsters he now fights) might be good for him.

DRUIDS
1. Absolutely Circle of the Moon, from the coast, maybe even with a Sailor background (or a Hermit by the ocean). Look at how transformed he is!
2. Even though this one seems pretty transformed, I'm getting pretty Circle of the Land vibes from him, specifically a Forest Druid. Outlander background, definitely.
3. Circle of Twilight, maybe with a Tribe Member or Outlander background given the dress.

MONKS
1. Almost certainly Way of the Open Hand, and probably with a Soldier background. He's Rambo!
2. Way of the Four Elements, for sure. Acolyte or Hermit background.
3. I'm getting strong Way of Tranquility vibes from this one, maybe with an Entertainer Background. She looks like a dancer.

BARDS
1. Looking as ludicrous as possible? Absolutely a Jester. Entertainer background is easiest, of course, but Courtier or Far Traveler could be interesting.
2. To make this guy interesting, I think I'd make him College of Whispers. He looks like a butler. The butler obviously isn't to be trusted. Not sure about background, though... Urchin? Otherwise, maybe just a straight-up Lore Bard, but with a Criminal background, now trying to look respectable.
3. Valor Bard with a Soldier background, 100%.

KNIGHTS
Not a 5e class, so I'll go to other classes to figure these ones out.
1. Warforged War Cleric. Yeah, this is the only one I'm going to give a race for, because it's just that obvious to me. Could also be a Warforged Champion Fighter, potentially. I'd actually give this one the Hermit background.
2. You know, this could easily be a Swashbuckler Rogue. Easily. But I'd actually go with making him a Battle Master Fighter with the Dueling fighting style and an Entertainer background. That could be intensely fun.
3. Look at that moon! He's an aged and tired Light Cleric, of course. Maybe he's got a Soldier or Gladiator background.

ROGUES
1. Possibly a Scout! City Watch might work best for this one, but a Soldier background wouldn't be bad. Hermit might be fitting, given that he's wearing a cape.
2. Assassin, absolutely. Probably a Criminal background, but there could be some fun had in making him a Noble or Courtier or something of the like.
3. Swashbuckler! Maybe a Folk Hero, maybe a Sailor.

SORCERERS
1. A Sorcerer who managed to become a Lich somehow. Maybe a Wild Magic Sorcerer who got unlucky (dying) and also lucky (not quite dying). Any background could work with this one, and if you don't want to make them a flat-out Lich, you could always use the Revenent subrace option.
2. Nooo idea about this one. Maybe Wild Magic again, one who wants to be prepared for anything. And I wish there was some kind of Doctor background, but maybe Sage could fit?
3. Absolutely a Shadow Sorcerer, this one. Maybe a Noble, or a Sailor or Pirate.

Alternately, the Sorcerer ones might actually work better as other spellcasters, so I will also give you...

"SORCERERS," TAKE 2
1. Death Domain Cleric. Or a Warlock with the Undying Patron, if you flavor it up some so that they don't just not die at higher levels, they actually start to become more like their Lich patron. Again, any background would work, but if going with the latter then Urchin would make sense.
2. For some reason, I'm imagining this one as a Necromancer Wizard who works heavily with poison spells and is heavily protected from his own nastiness -- or has even begun to need to breathe noxiousness because fresh air does bad things to him now. Sage background works nicely for this guy.
3. "Hi, I'm a Warlock, and this is my Fiend Patron." Again, Noble, Sailor, or Pirate could work awesomely for this guy. If you give him the Pact of the Chain, he be a Sailor or Pirate who has a "parrot" (aka a polymorphed Imp) on his shoulder. If you give him Pact of the Blade, he could swashbuckle with the best of them. If you give him Pact of the Tome, he could be a Noble pretending to be a Wizard.