PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade's curse

Brother carc
2017-08-16, 07:03 PM
When you curse a target as a hexblade you gain the ability to "gain a bonus to damage rolls against the target equal to your proficiency bonus"

Now if I use a multi-hitting spell such as eldritch blast do I
a) get a bonus to each ray that hits (like agonising blast)
b) get a bonus to the total damage I do with the spell (as draconic sorcerers do)?

suplee215
2017-08-16, 07:18 PM
As far as I can tell yes. It says to "damage rolls" and the similar abilities that do not work with similar spells clearly say "one damage rolls". That said, I expect the hexblade's curse to be totally different once the guide to everything comes out. Right now it is making wording on invocations extremely awkward with "hex" or "hexlike ability".

Elric VIII
2017-08-17, 02:29 AM
Right now it is making wording on invocations extremely awkward with "hex" or "hexlike ability".

Tell me about it. I was playing a hexblade when the revised class options came out and my DM insisted on using the new invocations with the old class. They could at least post the entire updated class.

As for the OP, since EB uses separate attack rolls, each one is a separate damage roll. This should function just like agonizing blast.

I'm not sure how the rule for hex works, though. Is the d6 a separate damage roll? Is a smite spell or eldritch smite separate damage?

Brother carc
2017-08-20, 03:56 AM
Ok that seems fair. I was thinking though...

I'm a warlock 3/sorcerer 9 and my DM throws some hateful monster in front of me...
Turn 1 - cast hex and do something else with my action
Turn 2 - place my curse and upcast scorching ray at level 5 for a potential 18d6 + 24 damage (+4 for being a fire sorcerer)

Will my DM slap me for suggesting this?

Degwerks
2017-08-20, 04:12 AM

I'm a warlock 3/sorcerer 9 and my DM throws some hateful monster in front of me...
Turn 2 - place my curse and upcast scorching ray at level 5 for a potential 18d6 + 24 damage (+4 for being a fire sorcerer)

This is good tactic to drop a big enemy.

RSP
2017-08-20, 12:28 PM

Well I'd probably add in casting EB during that first round for 3x 1d10+1d6+mod (if AB). If they're allowing UA, get them used to your at will damage (~42/rnd, +12 if using Hexblade's Curse), and the nova of (~87) for a 5th level slot won't seem that out of place.