PDA

View Full Version : New Master Thrower Idea?

Azurhalo
2017-08-16, 08:26 PM
Hey guys, I don't know if I will get any feedback on this idea or not, but I had an interesting one about a factotum 1/rogue x/master thrower 5 build, utilizing able learner to keep iajutzu focus maxed at all times. Master thrower 5 would make all of your thrown attacks at touch attacks, vs. opponents who are always flat footed. The flat footed condition would allow for sneak attack and iajutzu focus damage, on every single attack, granted other sneak attack requisites are met. This sort of requires DM cooperation, in allowing IF damage to work with thrown weapons, but correct me if I'm wrong, it should work as per RAW in OA, unless it was changed in whichever Dragon Magazine IF was re-published in. Anybody have any thoughts on a build like this one, or maybe somebody who has tried something similar?

Thanks for any and all input!

PrismCat21
2017-08-17, 03:16 AM
I'd try to fit to levels of Bloodstorm Blade in, just to be safe. 2nd level ability, Thunderous Throw, allows all thrown attacks to be treated as melee attacks. I believe that means Iajutsu Focus will work without specifically relying on DM cooperation.

Also, allows Power Attack with Thrown Weapons.

Gruftzwerg
2017-08-17, 03:26 AM
I'd try to fit to levels of Bloodstorm Blade in, just to be safe. 2nd level ability, Thunderous Throw, allows all thrown attacks to be treated as melee attacks. I believe that means Iajutsu Focus will work without specifically relying on DM cooperation.

Also, allows Power Attack with Thrown Weapons.

This. Further BSB thunderous throw also allows charge/pounce and the related multipliers. Imho the best option to optimize thrower builds. My last 3 builds are around BSBs throwing ability. Maybe have a look for some inspiration (the 3 new/est).

Menzath
2017-08-17, 01:26 PM
Wasn't there a ToS build that was similar, but threw katana's? And could also disarm and throw the opponent's weapon(s) as well as catch and insta throw ranged weapons?

Gruftzwerg
2017-08-17, 04:29 PM
Wasn't there a ToS build that was similar, but threw katana's? And could also disarm and throw the opponent's weapon(s) as well as catch and insta throw ranged weapons?

don't know the particular build, but shouldn't be to hard to accomplish. BSB enables you to throw any melee weapon you want and gives returning for free. Now you just need to invest into disarm and snatch arrows and further optimize it and you're done.

Thurbane
2017-08-17, 09:26 PM
don't know the particular build, but shouldn't be to hard to accomplish. BSB enables you to throw any melee weapon you want and gives returning for free. Now you just need to invest into disarm and snatch arrows and further optimize it and you're done.

5 levels in Iaijutsu Master lets you add Cha bonus to each Iajutsu die, from memory. Might be useful, but 5 levels could be too much of an investment.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-08-17, 10:47 PM
Your memory serves and Iaijutsu Master also gives Cha to Initiative at 2.

dysprosium
2017-08-18, 07:50 AM

The build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?134276-3-5-Iaijutsu-Katana-Chucker) in question.