PDA

View Full Version : Campaign management tools

HidesHisEyes
2017-08-17, 10:58 AM
Do you use software for planning and/or running your games?

I have in my mind the exact thing I would like to use and it seems pretty simple and obvious to me, but as far as I can tell such a thing doesn't exist. Here's my criteria:

- I can run it on my iPad.
- It lets you import images.
- You can place pins on the images that hyperlink to other images and note documents.
- Words in a note hyperlink to other notes.

In other words, a way of nesting and organising the information needed to run the game, where an interactive map can be used as an overview.

I've looked into Realm Works and things like Roll20 but ideally I really want an app so I can sit at the table with just my iPad, and not have to have my laptop there taking up loads of space.

I've also downloaded Evernote, which some people have raved about as a way of managing a game, but I was highly distressed to discover that the ability to hyperlink notes together doesn't exist on the mobile version (for some utterly mysterious reason), again making the laptop necessary.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sky
2017-08-17, 12:05 PM
I like VUE, from Tufts University. It's basically just a flowchart program, but you can put pictures in it and stuff. It's free, so that's a plus. It's what I use to plan out scenes and transitions.

HidesHisEyes
2017-08-17, 01:08 PM
I like VUE, from Tufts University. It's basically just a flowchart program, but you can put pictures in it and stuff. It's free, so that's a plus. It's what I use to plan out scenes and transitions.

Thanks. I have a great mind-mapping app which is helpful but what I really want is interactive maps, both for an overland map and dungeons.

FreddyNoNose
2017-08-17, 02:45 PM
Thanks. I have a great mind-mapping app which is helpful but what I really want is interactive maps, both for an overland map and dungeons.

What mind-mapping tool do you use that is great?

Anxe
2017-08-17, 04:00 PM
A personal Wiki lets you do all those things.

Drakevarg
2017-08-17, 05:16 PM

I like using Freemind for that kind of stuff. It is, as its name suggests, a freeware mindmapping tool.

FreddyNoNose
2017-08-18, 12:07 AM
I like using Freemind for that kind of stuff. It is, as its name suggests, a freeware mindmapping tool.

Thank you, but you didn't answer the question about what the OP is using.

HidesHisEyes
2017-08-18, 02:48 AM

It's called Simplemind. You can make a node on a mindmap link to another mindmap, so you can sort of nest them.

A personal Wiki lets you do all those things.

I have a personal wiki app but it doesn't let me put hyperlink pins on images.
Edit: my lack of tech-savvy is also a limiting factor here, I think.

HidesHisEyes
2017-08-18, 03:17 AM
Update: I've just discovered Infinitas DM:

http://infinitasdm.com/phone/index.html

If you're looking for anything like what I described in my OP, I recommend this app. It's fairly basic and simple but it lets you import maps, put pins on them that link to nested maps as well as text notes, and it can also be used like a virtual tabletop where the DM controls what the players see.

It is system agnostic. It doesn't have a good way of including stat blocks as far as I can tell, so I'm not going to be able to handle everything from this one app, and it was pricey too (£10). I'm still excited about it and think it's worth it though.

Anxe
2017-08-18, 12:30 PM
I have a personal wiki app but it doesn't let me put hyperlink pins on images.
Edit: my lack of tech-savvy is also a limiting factor here, I think.

You can with the Maps Extension if you overlay an image of your world on top of the Earth-based map they give you. I understand if that's a pain to figure out how to use though.

Haldir
2017-08-18, 01:10 PM
Roll20 is probably better for this in every way imaginable.

must be weird being someone who doens't keep an entire campaign inside their head. I have a clipboard with general notes, but nothing big and sprawling like this....

FreddyNoNose
2017-08-18, 03:36 PM
It's called Simplemind. You can make a node on a mindmap link to another mindmap, so you can sort of nest them.

Thanks for the information.

HidesHisEyes
2017-08-19, 03:33 AM
Roll20 is probably better for this in every way imaginable.

must be weird being someone who doens't keep an entire campaign inside their head. I have a clipboard with general notes, but nothing big and sprawling like this....

Roll20, Fantasy Grounds and Realm Works all look fantastic, but I don't want to have my laptop at the table. It's big and clunky and makes me feel like I'm playing a computer game and am cut off from the players. A tablet is much better.

I envy you! I don't really use copious notes actually, I tend to make up save DCs and decide how to resolve things on the fly. But I do need a visual reference, and as I'm currently trying to do a more sandbox style game I find I need a lot of maps. I just don't want to have to print them all and leaf through a binder!