PDA

View Full Version : Forge ring question

PrediDERP
2017-08-17, 03:22 PM
Hello, I'm trying to make a ring that gives a plus to the diplomacy skill. While I've read here that the max bonus you can have is equal to your current rank in the given skill, I can't for the life of me find it in print anywhere. I would assume it would be in the DMG under the creating magic items section (starting page 282) but no where in that section does it state a maximum based on the creators rank. Can anyone point me in the right direction or am I just going crazy here?

Edit: using 3.5

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-08-17, 03:33 PM
I know an Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) has that type of limit, but for a magic item giving a skill bonus, it can't be over +30 before epic levels (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/basics.htm) but there are no other limitations.

PrediDERP
2017-08-17, 03:39 PM
Thanks for your insight. Im assuming the item familiar variant is from UA? In that case it is ruled out from my current campaign. Our DM looks at UA like it's the anti-christ.

KillianHawkeye
2017-08-17, 05:28 PM
There are several items printed (not all of which are rings) which give some skill bonuses and have an equivalent skill rank requirement for crafting, but there's not a general rule to that effect as far as I'm aware. Then again, there are items which boost a skill without requiring the item's creator have ranks at all. Since custom items are solely the purview of the DM, it's possible that the DM is meant to determine on a case by case basis whether or not to enforce such requirements for similar items.

PrediDERP
2017-08-17, 07:04 PM
There are several items printed (not all of which are rings) which give some skill bonuses and have an equivalent skill rank requirement for crafting, but there's not a general rule to that effect as far as I'm aware. Then again, there are items which boost a skill without requiring the item's creator have ranks at all. Since custom items are solely the purview of the DM, it's possible that the DM is meant to determine on a case by case basis whether or not to enforce such requirements for similar items.

Understandable, when it comes down to it everything is at DM's descreation, especially with custom items. Knowing my DM however, usually he looks to the books first for precedent, which is why I'm asking here. When you speak of several items, which ones are you referring to in particular? (I believe you I'd just like some examples to potentially show my DM)

KillianHawkeye
2017-08-17, 09:10 PM
Understandable, when it comes down to it everything is at DM's descreation, especially with custom items. Knowing my DM however, usually he looks to the books first for precedent, which is why I'm asking here. When you speak of several items, which ones are you referring to in particular? (I believe you I'd just like some examples to potentially show my DM)

Boots of Striding and Springing was the first one that I could find. It grants a +5 bonus to Jump checks (among other things) and requires to creator to have 5 ranks in Jump. For a counter-example, Boots of Elvenkind grant +5 to Move Silently and have no skill prerequisites for the crafter, although it can only be made by an elf.

Do you need a whole list of examples?

PrediDERP
2017-08-17, 09:12 PM
Do you need a whole list of examples?

Nope, that's perfect. Thank you very much kind sir.

KillianHawkeye
2017-08-17, 09:15 PM
Nope, that's perfect. Thank you very much kind sir.

No problemo, seņor.