PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Feats for the lover, not the fighter

rferries
2017-08-17, 07:29 PM
Combat Medic [Fighter]
You are an expert at tending war-wounds and work best under pressure.

Prerequisites
Wis 12.

Benefits
Heal is always considered a class skill for you. You regain one skill point for each cross-class rank you have already invested in Heal when you take this feat.

You may always take 20 on Heal checks during combat or to provide first aid. Your Heal checks do not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Special
A fighter may select Combat Medic as one of his bonus fighter feats.

Martial Pacifist [Fighter]
You do not shy from combat, but you take pains not to kill your foes.

Prerequisites
Wis 12.

Benefits
Diplomacy is always considered a class skill for you. You regain one skill point for each cross-class rank you have already invested in Diplomacy when you take this feat.

Your natural weapons (including unarmed strikes) and any weapons you wield gain the merciful (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#merciful)special ability. You may choose to suppress or reactivate this ability as a free action (even whilst making a full attack).

Special
A fighter may select Martial Pacifist as one of his bonus fighter feats.

Handing Out Naps [Fighter]
You prefer to knock opponents unconscious rather than beat them bloody.

Prerequisites
Martial Pacifist, Wis 12.

Benefits
Whenever you deal nonlethal damage to a creature, if that creature has total lethal and nonlethal damage at least equal to one-half its total hit points it must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + one-half your base attack bonus) or fall asleep for 1d4 minutes.

Special
A fighter may select Handing Out Naps as one of his bonus fighter feats.

Sado-Pacifist [Fighter]
You take pains to inflict pain.

Prerequisites

Benefits
Whenever you deal nonlethal damage to a creature, it must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + one-half your base attack bonus) or become sickened for 1d4 rounds.

Special
A fighter may select Sado-Pacifist as one of his bonus fighter feats.

Westhart
2017-08-18, 09:15 AM
Combat Medic [Fighter]

Prerequisites
Wis 12.

Benefits
Heal is always considered a class skill for you. You regain one skill point for each cross-class rank you have already invested in Heal when you take this feat.

You may always take 20 on Heal checks during combat or to provide first aid.

Not much, in fact I believe a wand would be better at both healing, and in the action economy... maybe let them do some more with a heal check, such as suprees/remove a condition (I believe you had some heal spells awhile back.

Special
A fighter may select Combat Medic as one of his bonus fighter feats.

You do not shy from combat, but you take pains not to kill your foes.

Prerequisites
Wis 12.

Benefits
Diplomacy is always considered a class skill for you. You regain one skill point for each cross-class rank you have already invested in Diplomacy when you take this feat.

Your natural weapons (including unarmed strikes) and any weapons you wield gain the merciful (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#merciful)special ability. You may choose to suppress or reactivate this ability as a free action (even whilst making a full attack).

Special
A fighter may select Martial Pacifist as one of his bonus fighter feats.

Alright, I still am not sure this is worth a feat... I guess it would depend on play style...

Handing Out Naps [Fighter]

Prerequisites

Benefits
Whenever you deal nonlethal damage to a creature, if that creature has total lethal and nonlethal damage at least equal to one-half its total hit points it must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + one-half your base attack bonus) or fall asleep for 1d4 minutes.

Special
A fighter may select Handing Out Naps as one of his bonus fighter feats.

Seems alright, if you are in the nonlethal department of things...

Sado-Pacifist [Fighter]

Prerequisites

Benefits
Whenever you deal nonlethal damage to a creature, it must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + one-half your base attack bonus) or become sickened for 1d4 rounds.

Special
A fighter may select Sado-Pacifist as one of his bonus fighter feats.
[/quote]
This is nice, use first attack to make sickened for an ally spellcaster to take advantage of then continue with attack routine. Need something where multiple strikes are not cumulative otherwise this gets a pretty long duration.
All in all, these are pretty nice, although I feel that combat medic and martial pacifist could use a boost in power... perhaps a chance to KO on crits with nonlethal or a similar ability for martial pacifist.

Ixidor92
2017-08-18, 12:32 PM
I like the look of a lot of these feats, the only thing I wish to bring up is the justicar prestige class from Complete warrior. Does that not allow for a number of similar effects?

Chimera245
2017-08-18, 12:53 PM
I dunno. Merciful adds 1d6 damage to your attack when you use it. Most combat encounters are mechanically about neutralizing your opponents through HP damage. From an immediate "effectiveness in combat" perspective, you're basically taking a feat to get an extra 1d6 damage that doesn't work on constructs or undead. And its a gateway to a feat for sometimes incapacitating enemies at half HP. I see them as balanced, or maybe slightly overpowered.

As for Combat Medic, I might give it a "heal checks don't provoke AoO's" benefit maybe. First Aid is DC 15, so taking 20 is kind of overkill. Since it requires Wis 12, you'll have a +1 right there, and since it's a permanent class skill, you'll probably have at least a few ranks in it, so you'll be able to always succeed at First Aid just by a normal taking 10.

Stelio Kontos
2017-08-18, 01:20 PM
For the Combat Medic, you might consider making the Heal check a move (or swift?) action, and/or making it not provoke an AOO -- perhaps with higher DCs. That might make it more useful. As already noted, if you're taking this, you're probably already investing in Heal and have a bit of wisdom, so making a DC 15 isn't exactly difficult.

rferries
2017-08-18, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I suppose I should be relieved you guys don't think they're overpowered, I thought that would be the consensus.

Combat Medic - I saw it as having a low-level benefit (take 20 on checks) that would be surpassed by the long-term benefit (proper ranks in Heal). However the consensus is to add no AoO, so that's done.

The Pacifist feats I'll leave as they are for now.

I'm not familiar with the justicar class, unfortunately.

Darth Ultron
2017-08-20, 06:44 PM
Combat Medic [Fighter]

It just does not really do much to make it worth a feat.

Is ok.

[INDENT]Handing Out Naps [Fighter]

This is just needlessly complicated. To roll a sleep save for every hit is just a burden.

Sado-Pacifist [Fighter]

Is ok, but does making someone sick for a couple rounds have any use?

rferries
2017-08-20, 07:16 PM
It just does not really do much to make it worth a feat.

Is ok.

This is just needlessly complicated. To roll a sleep save for every hit is just a burden.

Is ok, but does making someone sick for a couple rounds have any use?

1. Yeah... that seems to be the consensus. However maybe it appeals more to fighters with all their bonus feats.

2. Thanks.

3. Yeah... I hated how Stunning Fist has limited uses per day but there had to be some limit on the feat, hence the 1/2 hp mark. I really wanted to involve a peaceful sleep effect but maybe it's better as just increasing the damage from the merciful quality.

4. Being sickened (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#sickened) makes it harder for them to fight back against you, and makes them more susceptible to the party spellcasters' magic.

rferries
2017-08-21, 01:58 AM
Ha I've got it! What if the Handing Out Naps and Sado-Pacifist feats were triggered by critical hits? Like "whenever you score a critical hit against a creature and deal nonlethal damage", the creature makes a fortitude save and either falls asleep or is affected as by symbol of pain?

Zombimode
2017-08-21, 05:44 AM

Save DC almost always follow the pattern of 10 + power Level + stat. I consider it good design practice to follow this pattern. Using half-Bab as power Level is fine. Just add an ability score Bonus (maybe Wis? or Con).

rferries
2017-08-21, 06:33 AM
Save DC almost always follow the pattern of 10 + power Level + stat. I consider it good design practice to follow this pattern. Using half-Bab as power Level is fine. Just add an ability score Bonus (maybe Wis? or Con).

Yeah, the trouble is that's probably too powerful! A save-or-lose effect attached to every attack a fighter makes should be designed as easy to shrug off for a given attack, since probability dictates your target will fail a save sooner rather than later. I'll definitely use the standard DC calculations if I edit the feats to only trigger on critical hits though!