PDA

View Full Version : Animation of a real time D&D encounter?

xroads
2017-08-18, 08:37 AM
Has anyone ever created an animation of a standard D&D encounter in real time?

A round is roughly six seconds. Most encounters probably last approximately five rounds, or 30 seconds. In the space of that thirty seconds,

a wizard could of flung a fireball, entagled some enemies with dark tentacles, and still had time to blast three more enemies;
a fighter could of fired two dozen arrows all while dodging a barrage of enemy blows;
a rogue could of stalked around the field and punctured the kidneys of a half dozen different enemies;
and the monk could of run the length of two American football fields (200 yards)*.

I always wondered how that would look in real time. Would it even be possible to see the action? Or would there be a sudden blur and the encounter is over?

*Interesting note, this is still nowhere near as fast Usain Bolt. According to my five rounds of Googling, he can move at 1 ft/.03 seconds. So in a standard round (presuming I did my math right), he could move 200 ft! After five rounds, that would be over 330 yds!

Ixidor92
2017-08-18, 09:25 AM
The funny thing is, think about how this would apply to the monsters in combat. Most monsters usually get at least two attacks per round, and if you're fighting something that has legendary actions just think about the reaction time. In the span of 6 seconds, a fully grown dragon can make three attacks (or use its breath weapon), move, and then in response to someone else they can smack them with their tail or take flight. In just three rounds that is an insane number of actions for a creature that size to animate

Armored Walrus
2017-08-19, 02:01 PM
The average play in football lasts about six seconds. So it would look like a football game. (American, that is)

"A blur and then it's over" is really underestimating how long 30 seconds is. Hell, a vine is six seconds long, right, so whatever 8 or 9 folks can do in the space of a vine is what a round of combat looks like.

ZorroGames
2017-08-19, 02:15 PM
Having been involved in timing some SCA combats/tournament bouts it would seem trained fighters have short combats (one miscalculation/opening = "dead") while some experts can battle each other for what seem like "forever" though most is moments of maneuvering than actual hack/slash combat.

Rookies take forever to kill each other. :smallbiggrin: Or mutual kill quickly. :smalltongue:

Armored Walrus
2017-08-19, 02:19 PM
Having been involved in timing some SCA combats/tournament bouts it would seem trained fighters have short combats (one miscalculation/opening = "dead") while some experts can battle each other for what seem like "forever" though most is moments of maneuvering than actual hack/slash combat.

Rookies take forever to kill each other. :smallbiggrin: Or mutual kill quickly. :smalltongue:

That's been my experience in Tae Kwon Do sparring, too. Or wrestling. Or Judo. But I don't train any actual weapons so didn't want to comment on that ;)

Edit: Although I will say, even unarmed, 30 seconds of actual continuous attacking will wear you out fast. Doing that six times in one day would be grueling.

J-H
2017-08-19, 02:22 PM
I tried watching Olympic kendo one time. It was boring. The crowd got excited when they crossed swords for more than 4 seconds....

Keep in mind that each attack roll is only simulating a good chance at hitting an enemy. You may have an attack you pull early, a couple of easy blocks, and only one or two good opportunities to strike in a round.

Armored Walrus
2017-08-19, 02:38 PM
To OP's original question, though. I would love to see it if anyone has taken a transcript of a battle and then animated it in real time. So if anyone knows of one, I'm interested in seeing it, too.

ZorroGames
2017-08-19, 02:50 PM
To OP's original question, though. I would love to see it if anyone has taken a transcript of a battle and then animated it in real time. So if anyone knows of one, I'm interested in seeing it, too.

Indeed! It would be fascinating to watch...