PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Players as Zombies (Halloween Concept)

prufock
2017-08-18, 12:18 PM
I have this idea for a one-shot Halloween session, but I'm not sure how to pull it off. Basically, the PCs take the role of zombies, as basically the first batch of infected. Their goals are to:
a) Not get killed by the living
and b) Create as many more zombies as possible.

Their character stats would reflect not just the individual zombie, but be treated basically as a mob (kind of like D&D 3.5's mob template), advancing based on how big the mob is, probably on an exponential scale.

I'm really at a loss to make this work mechanically, though. Also, in terms of RP potential, zombies are pretty flat. I feel like what I'm creating here might work better as a board game than an RPG.

Anyone know of existing games that work this way, or have ideas of how to make it work?

JeenLeen
2017-08-18, 01:14 PM
I think one of the supplements or alt rules for All Flesh Must Be Eaten had rules for playing as zombies. Or, at least it shouldn't be hard to make zombies and play them as PCs.

For RP purposes, I'd say give the zombies sentience but (lest they befriend the humans) an alien mentality... or one that wants to convert humanity.

Have you seen or read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies? Their take on zombies is kinda unique, in that (at least in the movie) zombies only start to lose their mind after consuming human flesh. (Seemed implied they can still bite people to make them into zombies, though.) The movie at least didn't go into the psychological changes becoming a zombie causes, but it seems that folk stay as they previously were, except they now hunger for living flesh and have a desire to convert others into zombies.

Your PCs could be something like that. Their former selves, except they want to make more zombies.

The above is statting up PCs as one zombie, not a mob, but you could easily 'recruit' a mob. Maybe sentient zombies can command (at least in elementary ways) mindless zombies?

FreddyNoNose
2017-08-19, 10:43 AM
I have this idea for a one-shot Halloween session, but I'm not sure how to pull it off. Basically, the PCs take the role of zombies, as basically the first batch of infected. Their goals are to:
a) Not get killed by the living
and b) Create as many more zombies as possible.

Their character stats would reflect not just the individual zombie, but be treated basically as a mob (kind of like D&D 3.5's mob template), advancing based on how big the mob is, probably on an exponential scale.

I'm really at a loss to make this work mechanically, though. Also, in terms of RP potential, zombies are pretty flat. I feel like what I'm creating here might work better as a board game than an RPG.

Anyone know of existing games that work this way, or have ideas of how to make it work?

It's great that you want to do a creative one-shot game. ::clap clap:: But you shouldn't ask us for help. This is your thing and you should run with it. Don't let us infect your game with our ideas.

Angelmaker
2017-08-19, 07:31 PM
Problem is: zombies are usually mindless. You gonna be a lot more flexible ith the actions allowed for your players, else it's gonna be all "brrrains, roll dice".

Idk how to pull it off.

Maybe rather use vampires?

ATHATH
2017-08-21, 05:13 PM
Have you ever read the Marvel Zombies series of comics? They might give you some ideas.