PDA

View Full Version : Book inspiration reads for various classes and features

Falcon X
2017-08-18, 01:34 PM
What are some fantasy fiction books that showcase a specific class thought processes or ways of life. Let's leave off vanilla fighters, rouges, and wizards. Those will be too many to count. I want examples of unique styles.

I'll start off with a few I know:
Druids - Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne
Storm Wizards - Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Diviner Wizard - Fated by Benedict Jacka
Glamour Bard/Sympathy Magic - Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss

Aett_Thorn
2017-08-18, 01:37 PM
Battlerager Barbarian: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Darkness

Elminster298
2017-08-18, 03:33 PM
Oh man... Umm, I don't really feel like typing each one out at the moment since I just got home from work but I'll try to later. Here are some book series though.

Robin Hobb- The Farseer Trilogy, The Liveship Traders Trilogy, The Tawny Man Trilogy.
Stephen R. Donaldson- The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Second Cronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Last Cronicles of Thomas Covenant
Philip Pullman- His Dark Materials
Christopher Paolini- The Inheritance Cycle

More later...

Varon
2017-08-18, 03:33 PM
For paladins, look into The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.

GlenSmash!
2017-08-18, 03:51 PM
Oh man... Umm, I don't really feel like typing each one out at the moment since I just got home from work but I'll try to later. Here are some book series though.

Robin Hobb- The Farseer Trilogy, The Liveship Traders Trilogy, The Tawny Man Trilogy.
Stephen R. Donaldson- The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Second Cronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Last Cronicles of Thomas Covenant
Philip Pullman- His Dark Materials
Christopher Paolini- The Inheritance Cycle

More later...

I've read half of these. I'm interested to see what classes and subclasses you think they represent well.

RickAsWritten
2017-08-18, 04:32 PM
The First Law Series-Joe Abercrombie
The Bloody Nine is the Path of the Berserker personified. He has some of the Ancestral Guardian path sprinkled in there as well.
Bayaz is definitely a high level Lore Wizard...aka., broken and completely able to cheat the system.

Falcon X
2017-08-19, 12:25 PM
Great stuff guys. I'm glad to see that many of those are already on my to-read list. I didn't know much about Thomas Covenant, but it looks interesting, so I will put it on the list. Curious to see what class I would consider the protagonist.

GlenSmash!
2017-08-21, 07:47 PM
The First Law Series-Joe Abercrombie
The Bloody Nine is the Path of the Berserker personified. He has some of the Ancestral Guardian path sprinkled in there as well.
Bayaz is definitely a high level Lore Wizard...aka., broken and completely able to cheat the system.

One of my very favorite series.

After The Last Argument of Kings and what he was doing at the end of The Heroes i could see Bayaz picking up some levels in Warlock.

Dudewithknives
2017-08-21, 08:16 PM
The Destroyer book series, Chiun is such an open hand monk.

Not going to lie, I played essentially Chiun in pathfinder, as The Inscrutable Chiun, I even beat a villain to death once " for trying to scrute me."