PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Theurge question

Doc_Outlands
2007-08-10, 01:05 PM
Warlock allows you to cast in light armor w/o ASF.

Wizard casting incurs ASF in armors.

Does ET allow you to cast Wizard spells in armor w/o ASF?

blue_fenix
2007-08-10, 01:08 PM
I believe that what happens is you suffer no ASF for your Warlock abilities, but you still suffer ASF for your Wizard spells. Unless Warlock text specifies that the benefit of avoiding ASF applies to non-Warlock classes too, that would be my ruling.

nerulean
2007-08-10, 01:16 PM
I believe that what happens is you suffer no ASF for your Warlock abilities, but you still suffer ASF for your Wizard spells. Unless Warlock text specifies that the benefit of avoiding ASF applies to non-Warlock classes too, that would be my ruling.

Hit the nail on the head.

...a warlock can use any of his invocations while wearing light armour without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance.

Since Eldritch Theurge says nothing about armour of any sort, the description from the Warlock still stands and his armoured casting is not extended to his wizarding.

Greenfaun
2007-08-10, 02:17 PM
Uh, I don't know what book that's from, but, etymologically, shouldn't eldritch theurge be the combination of warlock invocations and clericalmagic? What you're talking about should theoretically be an eldritch mystic or maybe eldritch thaumaturge.

(just to be clear, I'm not saying anyone's misquoting a book, I'm saying "theurgy" specifically means magic from god(s), so I'm wondering why it's applied to wizard spells)

Fax Celestis
2007-08-10, 02:20 PM
Uh, I don't know what book that's from, but, etymologically, shouldn't eldritch theurge be the combination of warlock invocations and clericalmagic? What you're talking about should theoretically be an eldritch mystic or maybe eldritch thaumaturge.

(just to be clear, I'm not saying anyone's misquoting a book, I'm saying "theurgy" specifically means magic from god(s), so I'm wondering why it's applied to wizard spells)

"Theurgy" means "miracle magic", there's no divine involved. EDIT: Thinking of "Thaumaturgy". My bad.

...also, I think clerical magic would involve office work.

nerulean
2007-08-10, 02:21 PM
Yeah, it's yet another example of WotC failing to consult the dictionary/thesaurus. The warlock/cleric PrC from the same book is Eldritch Disciple.

Backpack
2007-08-10, 04:33 PM
From my understanding, the reason warlock "spells" are not affected by ASF, is because they're not really spells at all. They're spell-like abilities. Wizard spells would be subject to ASF due to the fact that they are in fact spells.

Greenfaun
2007-08-10, 04:35 PM
Ah well, that's too bad. Can't say I'm surprised, but it is kinda sad. What book is that, Complete Mage?

nerulean
2007-08-10, 04:52 PM
Yup, Complete Mage. Which, despite naming errors, I love to pieces.

Doc_Outlands
2007-08-10, 06:22 PM
So my ineptly-named Eldritch Theurge will either wander around in no armor and avoid ASF penalties or will wear armor and just "run the risk" on the ASF business. Quel suquage... Or my build becomes Warlock/Warmage or Warlock/Battle Sorcerer based, so that both classes have the Armored Caster ability.

Hrmph.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-10, 06:26 PM
You could try the Battle Caster feat.

MeklorIlavator
2007-08-10, 06:39 PM
From my understanding, the reason warlock "spells" are not affected by ASF, is because they're not really spells at all. They're spell-like abilities. Wizard spells would be subject to ASF due to the fact that they are in fact spells.

Nope. Warlocks can only wear light armor without ASF.

You could try the Battle Caster feat.
Actually, that would only allow a warlock to wear Meduim armor without penalty. His wizard spells would remain affected by the ASF (as said in the text).

Backpack
2007-08-10, 07:52 PM
Ah well, that's too bad. Can't say I'm surprised, but it is kinda sad. What book is that, Complete Mage?

Actually I found it in the Complete Arcane. Although, you're right. It is sad.