PDA

View Full Version : What is some of the best homebrew/ what do you allow in your games.

Rfkannen
2017-08-18, 07:27 PM
So most tables I have seen allow the revised four elements monk, the blood hunter class, and the gun slinger if it fits with the setting, and I was wondering if there is any other homebrew that you practically consider core or allow in your games.

Alternative question, what is your favorite homebrew stuff?

The Cats
2017-08-19, 11:53 AM
Could you please direct me to the revised four elements monk?

All of my games use "long rest activities." Just little systems I brewed up that lets players with artisan tool proficiency actually make use of them during adventuring. Certainly not very realistic and no attempt was made to balance their usefulness but my games don't often have much downtime so it makes that alchemist or smiths tools proficiency actually do something.

Granted, the systems are my own design and are tailor-made for the characters (i.e. in a game where a character has herbalism and alchemy, herbalism is used to gather ingredients for potion making, while in a game where a character has only herbalism, it is used to make teas and poultices.) so this probably isn't answering the question you're actually asking.

nickl_2000
2017-08-19, 12:12 PM
I love kryx's monk, a link to Google drive can be found here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxGh_mU9ihaPbXMtclcwWTlsM1U

I've been wanting to play one for awhile

Mortis_Elrod
2017-08-19, 12:35 PM
I pretty much allow homebrew on a case by case basis.

Some exceptions are nearly everything from Middle Finger of Vecna (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/), and this ranger rework (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?462877-Ranger-Rework-v1-3).

There are other homebrew I've seen and liked but usually my groups don't use homebrew often even though im open to it.

Discord
2017-08-19, 12:43 PM
I've only played with one of his homebrews, but I've looked at a lot of his other homebrews and they seem really balanced.

http://walrock-homebrew.blogspot.com/

LuminousWarrior
2017-08-19, 03:15 PM

Some exceptions are nearly everything from Middle Finger of Vecna, and this ranger rework.

What's wrong with Middle Finger of Vecna? One of the players I'm DMing wanted to play an Alchemist, so I was going to let them play their version of the class, but if there's something wrong with their stuff I might need to rework something.

Rfkannen
2017-08-19, 09:31 PM
What's wrong with Middle Finger of Vecna? One of the players I'm DMing wanted to play an Alchemist, so I was going to let them play their version of the class, but if there's something wrong with their stuff I might need to rework something.

I think they meant that they don't need to review middle finger of vecna because it is all mostly good.

Zman
2017-08-19, 09:36 PM
My last and current campaign are using my 5e Tweaks linked in my sig. We originally used my version 1.0 after the group came to the conclusion stock 5e had some rough edges, then the expanded and refined version 2.0 for this current campaign.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-08-19, 10:32 PM
I think they meant that they don't need to review middle finger of vecna because it is all mostly good.

Yeah exactly what I meant. MFoV is almost without exception accepted when I DM, and there are very fringe cases when I wouldn't. It's good stuff. The Alchemist they made is really complicated at a glance though, so I haven't looked into it too hard. If you're okay with the homework involved it's perfectly fine.

LuminousWarrior
2017-08-20, 12:49 AM
Yeah exactly what I meant. MFoV is almost without exception accepted when I DM, and there are very fringe cases when I wouldn't. It's good stuff. The Alchemist they made is really complicated at a glance though, so I haven't looked into it too hard. If you're okay with the homework involved it's perfectly fine.

Oh, my bad. I'm fairly new to Homebrew stuff, but I've been following MFoV for a while now and I thought that they seemed pretty good.

90sMusic
2017-08-20, 01:08 AM
I use my own campaign world that I run all my games in. It has a few advantages because I can constantly add new content and locations to it with each playthrough to have it constantly expanding and getting more complex and also can use previous player characters and their deeds as historical information and known heroes and so on. Sometimes noble houses that old players were part of, etc.

Because my world has it's own things going on, I use a lot of custom monsters, mix and mash spells and abilities a lot. I've created a handful of classes that I allow players to choose from when playing there. I've playtested each of them numerous times because people are drawn to them since they aren't standard stuff so I used to do a lot of little tweaks here or there until I felt they were well balanced.

Aside from my own homebrew, I typically don't allow much else because a lot of that stuff has ramifications for the world at large. Gunslingers, Shaman, Bloodhunters, the fact the class exists and those abilities exist would have an impact on the world. It would modify certain aspects of certain cultures, change people's attitudes and behaviors toward certain things, it's just too much work to slip it in. I keep my internal game logic consistent and never allow anything that would have an impact on world continuity.

Even when I do one-shots, I almost always do it in my own world in a different part of it or sometimes in a different time period. It just helps flesh out places and history and so on to keep using the same world. On the rare occasion I don't, i'm usually pretty open about things if I feel it is balanced unless it's really far out there thematically. I've known guys that wanted to play everything from Mindflayer Detectives to one of the gods in my setting that was cast out of the pantheon. I also knew a guy who wanted to play a talking horse. People want to do weird stuff. In those unrelated one shots, I let almost anything slide though since none of it really matters anyway.

Thrudd
2017-08-20, 10:19 AM
I only allow my own homebrew in my games, which is, of course, the best. Any game of mine will include a run-down of what is allowed for characters, and anything a player wants to bring in would have to be approved and adjusted on a case-by-case basis (with a significant possibility of being denied). I tend not to look at anyone else's homebrew stuff, because I prefer to design things to specifically fit my own setting and campaign -it is rare to find someone else's stuff that just coincidentally turns out to work with my own ideas.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-08-20, 12:42 PM
I only allow my own homebrew in my games, which is, of course, the best.

You jest, but I'd say that's a sensible approach. I do the same: if one of my players wants something homebrewed, I write it myself. "If you want a job done properly..." and all that.

MrStabby
2017-08-20, 02:59 PM

Some exceptions are nearly everything from Middle Finger of Vecna (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/), and this ranger rework (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?462877-Ranger-Rework-v1-3).

There are other homebrew I've seen and liked but usually my groups don't use homebrew often even though im open to it.

Yeah I agree, anything on MfoV is probably out as is anything on D&D wiki.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-20, 07:27 PM
My favorite one ninja prawns princess a lot of mfov.their are some. I love for funny but intresting mechanics amecharras way of the mothers bounty

jitzul
2017-08-20, 08:13 PM

He allows MfoV stuff not exclude it.

MrStabby
2017-08-21, 12:02 AM
He allows MfoV stuff not exclude it.

Well if it works for him... ok.

Kane0
2017-08-21, 12:09 AM
Not gonna lie, I was legit surprised my ranger was brought up. Thankyou!

Anyway, MFoV's stuff has varied and mostly good quality stuff. Even their less serious content is plenty usable (try a Changeling Mimic Sorcerer using Spy background and subtle metamagic sometime, it's a blast and a half)

Anything goes at my table, as long as I get a quick once over first. I've had some good experiences with homebrew as a whole, both my own and 3rd party. Being mechanic savvy is pretty important so you can spot the really problematic stuff but once you get into the habit you get better at it. Practice makes perfect and all that.

Submortimer
2017-10-01, 09:26 AM

Y'all said our name three times, so of course we show up in the comments.

Also, I resent that remark: We do much more work to ensure that our stuff is balanced against the PHB than D&D wiki (which is to say that we do any work at all

I mean, we've never done anything as ludicrous as THIS (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Gravitonic_Master_(5e_Class))

Kuulvheysoon
2017-10-01, 10:13 AM
Y'all said our name three times, so of course we show up in the comments.

Also, I resent that remark: We do much more work to ensure that our stuff is balanced against the PHB than D&D wiki (which is to say that we do any work at all

I mean, we've never done anything as ludicrous as THIS (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Gravitonic_Master_(5e_Class))
I've got to say, I don't always find your stuff necessarily appropriate for my home games, but that class is just so ridiculous that it's funny.

MrStabby
2017-10-01, 11:33 AM
I've got to say, I don't always find your stuff necessarily appropriate for my home games, but that class is just so ridiculous that it's funny.

Yeah... I have to reassess my views. It turns out that there are different levels of "unusable".

Richard369
2017-10-01, 11:46 AM
Magic weapons deal more damage by adding additional damage dice. You get one additional damage dice for every other +1. So a +3 longsword does 3d8 damage.

Magic armor bestows damage resistance.

Evil magic is also more powerful in my campaign and the category of damage dice is advanced by one i.e. D6 damage spells are now d8.

Healing magic is reduced by half.

Makes for a gritty and adrenaline filled game but it's still fun.

Potato_Priest
2017-10-01, 12:53 PM
After looking through the monster manual last night, I have a new homebrew ruling

Snakes are immune to the prone condition.

DracoKnight
2017-10-01, 12:57 PM
After looking through the monster manual last night, I have a new homebrew ruling

Wait. Are they not? WTF?

Kuulvheysoon
2017-10-01, 01:00 PM
I'm also seriously tempted to make incorporeal creatures immune to being shoved. Because although it is awesome for the monk to shove a wraith through a cart, it kind of suspends disbelief.

Potato_Priest
2017-10-01, 01:01 PM
Wait. Are they not? WTF?

They are not, hence the ruling.

DracoKnight
2017-10-01, 01:10 PM
I'm also seriously tempted to make incorporeal creatures immune to being shoved. Because although it is awesome for the monk to shove a wraith through a cart, it kind of suspends disbelief.

Adopting this one prior to 6th level when they get magic fists.

That’s...an incredibly stupid oversight.

Arkhios
2017-10-01, 01:17 PM
Well, obviously I allow everything I've homebrewed myself if it fits the setting at hand, but other than that, I'd be willing to let a player use anything made by MFoV guys (and a gal!) as their quality is top tier (also, I'm a bit jealous that I can't work with them!) ...although with the same clause: as long as it fits the setting.

From UA, I tend to allow most of it, because how else could they be playtested properly? (I don't trust plain theorycraft enough!)

On the contrary, I would never allow anything from dandwiki.com for reasons I think should be obvious if you've seen their abhorrent quality.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-10-01, 02:42 PM

Wait. Are they not? WTF?

Adopting this one prior to 6th level when they get magic fists.

That’s...an incredibly stupid oversight.

Another one for the list: Treants. Oh, and the Open Hand monk proning thing doesn't have size restrictions. I had a monk knock a treant prone as well as a T-rex. Made for interesting mental pictures though, so it was worth it.

vexedart
2017-10-01, 03:01 PM
Google strongholds 5e,
I use this one in my campaigns.

Check out that link of you want some good home brew, watch out for the ritual to make flying castles as it can lead to super weapons. Like dropping a mountain on your enemies from the exosphere. The rest is very good.

Submortimer
2017-10-01, 03:39 PM

Speaking of prone, in my games, you do not have disadvantage when firing a crossbow while prone.

Submortimer
2017-10-01, 03:43 PM
Well, obviously I allow everything I've homebrewed myself if it fits the setting at hand, but other than that, I'd be willing to let a player use anything made by MFoV guys (and a gal!) as their quality is top tier (also, I'm a bit jealous that I can't work with them!)

I'm curious as to which Gal you mean. The five of us are all excessively nerdy dudes, unless Draco or Prawn hasn't been telling us something...

And we totally welcome submissions! Send us some stuff, and we'll work with you to make it a reality!

DracoKnight
2017-10-01, 03:51 PM
Well, obviously I allow everything I've homebrewed myself if it fits the setting at hand, but other than that, I'd be willing to let a player use anything made by MFoV guys (and a gal!) as their quality is top tier (also, I'm a bit jealous that I can't work with them!) ...although with the same clause: as long as it fits the setting.

From UA, I tend to allow most of it, because how else could they be playtested properly? (I don't trust plain theorycraft enough!)

On the contrary, I would never allow anything from dandwiki.com for reasons I think should be obvious if you've seen their abhorrent quality.

I'm curious as to which Gal you mean. The five of us are all excessively nerdy dudes, unless Draco or Prawn hasn't been telling us something...

And we totally welcome submissions! Send us some stuff, and we'll work with you to make it a reality!

I was gonna ask who the Gal was too, Lol. And, Submortimer, there's nothing I've been hiding from you. I don't think Ninja is either, judging from the video we've seen :smallbiggrin:

Speaking of prone, in my games, you do not have disadvantage when firing a crossbow while prone.

I do this to, because it makes sense for snipers.

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-01, 05:09 PM
Oh **** guys it might be me. I promote the mfov whenever possible so im like the spokesgirl

Submortimer
2017-10-01, 05:29 PM
Oh **** guys it might be me. I promote the mfov whenever possible so im like the spokesgirl

I mean, I'm down to have a spokesgirl. We always need more visibility!

Do you/have you ever submitted anything to get published? We're always open for more writers!

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-01, 05:34 PM

Do you/have you ever submitted anything to get published? We're always open for more writers!

No but i love the site mfov and craftsman class i dont write really

RedCarcharodon
2017-10-01, 05:55 PM

Agreed! I allow nearly everything from MFoV.

Aside from that, I'll allow pretty much everything except the Mystic (because I haven't really read it yet) from the Unearthed Arcana stuff.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-10-01, 06:24 PM

I have a few things myself that I wouldn't mind sending yal's way. I don't have enough peeps to playtest with, and also some comments on some of your content. For some reason none of my comments work on the site...

Edit: Not sure if it was clear or not, but MFOV is some of the best homebrew I've seen, and i scroll through tons of homebrew all the time. (dndnext reddit, unearthed arcana, homebrew forum here, various other blogs) The only things subclass wise i wouldn't allow my players to use is specific setting material (like say gunslingers in a standard fantasy setting). I don't look through much of yal's races and DM stuff though so no comment on those.

Arkhios
2017-10-01, 06:48 PM

I was gonna ask who the Gal was too, Lol. And, Submortimer, there's nothing I've been hiding from you. I don't think Ninja is either, judging from the video we've seen :smallbiggrin:

Ehm. My mistake then. For some reason, I had assumed Prawn was a gal... Sorry! :smallredface:

Cool, I might submit something, though what I'd be most interested with sharing as of now are the Warlord and Inquisitor that can be found in my sig :smallcool:

If you want to, give it a glance and say if it's worth the shot to be submitted! :smallbiggrin:
(One thing I'd like a bit help with is the Stratagems, actually, as currently they are a bit too blatant copies of Battlemaster Maneuvers, and I'd like them to be more unique)